Chapter 6

Creature of Night

The sun was up and its bright rays filtered through the open window casting a soft warm glow in the room.  Stretching her arms high above her head, Charmaine yawned loudly and opened her eyes.  She stared up at the white ceiling while her body mentally prepared itself for another day.  She had slept extremely well last night.  A first in months.  Charmaine didn’t think she would be able to sleep but once alone the drowsiness crept in.  She recalled that there was this earthy, musky scent that drifted in the room.  The scent was light and soothing, a cross between flowers and herbs.  Intoxicated by the heady scent, Charmaine didn’t even know how she got to the bed.  The second she lay down her eyes became too heavy to keep open and she fell instantly asleep.  Now, awake and under the early morning sun, she began to ponder about last night.  The whole experience felt alien to her.  Never had she in her entire life been able to fall asleep that easily and slept through the night without waking up once.  There was something mysterious about this house and the man who calls it home.

Slipping off the bed she looked around the room.  It was spacious and furnished luxuriously.  The furniture, all ivory and brass resembled something out of the renaissance period.  It was very different from her own modern sleek furniture at home.  Her eyes fell on the four poster bed where she got up from only seconds ago.  Red silk sheets laid in a heap at the foot of the bed.  Matching pillows in a variety of sizes lined the head of the bed.  A vision of herself and writhing on top of the silky soft sheets popped into her head.  Startled by the vision, Charmaine quickly looked away from the bed.  Where did that come from?  With her mind fumbling for an answer, she turned her attention to the window and slowly walked towards it.  A soft knock halted her steps and Charmaine knew it was him.  Before she could utter a single word the door was swung opened.  Ticked off that he hadn’t even bother to wait for her signal to come in, Charmaine asked sarcastically, “Have you ever heard of waiting for a response before entering someone else’s room?”

“This is my house,” Raymond said softly, his eyes raked in her unkempt hair and disheveled clothing.  In spite of her sloppy appearance, she looked refreshed from a night’s sleep and there was some color on her cheeks that he found incredibly alluring.  “I trust you slept well.”

In the broad day of light and poised at the doorway with one shoulder propped against its frame, he looked even more handsome than she first thought him to be.  Embarrassed by her own thoughts, Charmaine quickly lowered her gaze.  Ignoring his comment about her sleeping well, she mumbled, “Doesn’t matter.  It’s not polite.”

Raymond caught the flush on her face and wondered what had caused it.  He will find out soon enough.  “If you're ready now, I'll take you to breakfast.”

On cue, Charmaine’s stomach growled with hunger.  She hadn’t eaten dinner last night and didn’t realize just how hungry she actually was.  Walking towards him she said in a stern voice that left no room for argument, “After breakfast I want answers.”

“I’m sure you do,” Raymond said softly and bowing slightly he swept his hand out for her to follow.

Like last night, he sat at the opposite end of the table and there was no place setting for him.  Looking down at her plate of scrambled eggs and ham, Charmaine asked, “Did you make this?”

“Yes, I did.”

After a couple of bites, Charmaine picked up a piece of toast and stuffed a corner into .  “Why aren’t you eating?”

“I’m not hungry," Raymond replied softly, not once taking his eyes off her.  He watched with fascination as she shoved the food into , chewed for a few seconds and then shoved some more food in.  He had never seen any one eat with such haste and be able to talk at the same time.

Charmaine finished her breakfast and pushed her plate aside.  Looking across the table at him she said, “That was delicious and thank you.  Now can I get some answers to my questions?”

"Of course," Raymond replied.  He leaned back against his chair and lifted a hand for her to begin.

"You said my father hired you to keep me safe.  If that's true, then I'm sure you wouldn't mind giving me back my cell phone so that I can call him."

Keeping his eyes on her, Raymond reached down under his chair and pulled out her bag.  He tossed it onto the center of the table and nodded his head at it.  "Feel free."

Charmaine jumped out of her chair and grabbed her bag.  She rummaged through her belongings and found her cell phone.  Elated at the prospect of hearing her father's voice, she quickly pressed a few digits and waited for the other end to ring.  When silence greeted her she took the phone away from her ear and stared at the screen.  No service?!  "What?"  She riveted her gaze to Raymond as if he was responsible.

"I forgot to mention that my house is in a very remote location.  There's no cellular or wireless service available."

Charmaine eyed him warily as she dropped the phone back into her bag.  "How convenient," she muttered.  "Do you have a land phone?"

Raymond smiled and stood up.  "I do have that."  He walked towards one end of the room and returned shortly with a cordless phone.  "Here."

Charmaine snatched the phone out of his hand and quickly dialed her father's number.  He answered on the second ring.  "Dad?"

"Charmaine!" Dan cried happily.  "I'm so glad to hear from you.  Are you alright?"

Charmaine clasped the phone tighter to her ear.  Her father's caring voice brought tears to her eyes and fighting them back she answered hoarsely, "Yes.  I'm fine.  I don't know where I am right now but this guy who kidnapped me told me that he was hired by you.  Is that true?"

"Yes.  His name is Raymond Lam."

Charmaine darted a glance at Raymond and found him watching her.  Giving him her back she gushed into the phone, "Dad, I don't need anyone to protect me, especially not someone who is going to lock me up in God knows where."

"Charmaine, he is only doing so under my orders.  I want you to stay hidden until the election is over."

"Dad!  That's three months away!  You can't possibly expect me to stay with him until then?!"

"I am and that's the end of it.  Let me speak to him."

"Dad!"  When she heard her father repeating his request to speak to Raymond, she grudgingly turned to look at him and waved the phone in front of him.  "He wants to speak to you."

Raymond walked leisurely towards her, his eyes remained fixated on her face.  When he reached her, he took the phone, "Yes."

Charmaine looked at him while he spoke to her father.  The conversation was short and businesslike and ended with Raymond speaking a total of only three words.  When Raymond set the phone down onto the table, she asked eagerly, "What did my father say to you?"

Instead of answering her question, Raymond said, "You're not a prisoner here.  Feel free to make use of my house.  I have an in ground pool, a fully equipped gym, an extensive library of books and also an indoor tennis court should you wish to play.  I guarantee you won't be bored."

"How about going outside?"

Raymond walked over to the double French doors and pushed it over.  A cool breeze swept into the room as he walked out onto the semi circular terrace.  "Come over here."

Charmaine joined him out on the terrace and stared at the serene beauty of the scene before her.  All she can see was a wide expanse of clear blue sky and white foamy water.  She looked over the porcelain rail and saw waves of water lapping over a rocky steep.  Where was she?  She turned questioning eyes on him.

Raymond read the question on her face and said, "As mentioned, my house is in a very remote area.  Even if you were to leave this house there'll be no place for you to go."

Charmaine didn't believe him.  She ran back inside the dining room and straight towards the window on the opposite wall of the terrace.  Throwing the curtains aside she stared in disbelief at the view that greeted her.  She was surrounded by water on all sides.  How was he able to get her here in the first place she wondered as alarm filled her.  This can't be happening.  She can't be trapped her.  This can't be what her father wanted.  It can't be!

Raymond walked up beside her and whispered, "So you see, even if you wanted to escape, where can you go?"