Nu'est: ACTION

K-Pop Music Video Reviews

Personally, I’m a HUGE fan of Nu’est! I really got into them after I heard FACE (which would make sense, considering that it was their debut song…XD).

Here’s the music video that I’ll be referring to throughout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRG_ZA0oPcA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE ACTUAL MUSIC VIDEO:

From the beginning, the video is both electrifying as well as exciting! Nu’est walks, well, more like struts in doing a funky blocked arms running man kind of dance. Next, we’re greeted with three of the members in various poses, in electric chair-like objects and Ren on a slowly rotating platform. Then the music changes into this autotuned chromatic scale type sound and they do this circular bow.

I think that Nu’est is really great at matching their dances to the music, so when the music is fast, the dance follows suit!

But something that I find really odd is at 0:12 is when, in the middle of a charged musical rap, Minhyun is just sitting there like, “Hey. Just chillin’ in a white outfit on the filthy ground playing in the dirt. Screw that dance music, I want to go back in time and play in this sandbox.” Let me point out several things that is wrong with this image.

  1. You are wearing a WHITE outfit in a DIRTY room. Love, did your mother teach you nothing? Dirt and white doesn’t mix together well.
  2. Amid this awesome music, you’re just sitting in a dungeon? Perhaps you were locked up in there for your lack of enthusiasm? (Just kidding, Minhyun is my bias, I’m sure that you were just placed there because your childish tendencies made you want to play in a sandbox. XD)
  3. On point 1: Dry cleaning ain’t cheap, son. Spare Loen a few bucks.

On the other hand, at 0:24, Aron is being smart and wearing dark clothing, so stains from the sparks will be less visible if he happens to get hit by one. ;)

The outfits throughout the video are very interesting. They go from sparkling disco ball imitations (cough cough REN cough cough hack) to rather drab, but fashionable tunic with legging combinations.

However, did anyone else notice that the scenes where they are walking around (like at 0:26) those bars aren’t a different scene. It’s the exact same scene as where they are in the most of the video (example: 1:29) , it’s just different lighting and more in the actual cage bar contraption. Don’t think I didn’t see that one, Loen. I can spot a cheap-out scene “change” from a mile away. ;)

BUT THE PART AT 2:11! WOWZA. TOTAL CHANGE RIGHT THERE. It’s like a crazy free for all synchronized dance break! And then another TOTAL change right after! Baekho seduces all of us with his gorgeous vocals and then BAM! Background dancers out of nowhere! Perhaps the pure energy from Baekho made them magically appear?! I wouldn’t be surprised!  

Lastly, (this focuses mostly on Ren). At 1:37, he lifts his arm up, and maybe I’m just realy odd or something. But did anyone else observe that he has no armpit hair!? I’m guessing that they all shave it off or wax it, but I can tell you that not every idol does that. (cough cough RYEOWOOK NO OTHER cough cough hack) Okay, done with my creepy observations….

SIMILARITIES TO OTHER MUSIC VIDEOS:

Since Nu’est is pretty new, there’s not much to compare it to. I didn’t really see any outright similarities, besides comparison to FACE. They both have upbeat, kinda dance-y beats (that was awkwardly phrased…)

On FACE. That epic chair spin. I tried it was a dining room chair. Not good results. Perhaps they are lightweight aerodynamic chairs and Nu’est had to take a class on how to properly handle them.

SPECIFIC MEMBER COMMENTS:

Biases: Ren and Minhyun (it’s complicated with Ren and a long, long tale that I don’t feel like explaining.)

Ren:

Hasn’t changed much. As bleached blonde as any Californian. The disco ball costume is very eye-catching, love. Also thoroughly enjoyed the funky beret.

Side Note: The handcuffs, Ren? Very . ;)

Minhyun:

UNLEASH THE INNER KINDERGARTENER IN YOU! Play in that sand, boy!

Baekho:

Lovely vocals as always. Hasn’t changed much from FACE. However, lovin’ the silver suede-like pants. Interesting outfit choice.

Aron:

Kudos to you for wearing that dark clothing! Consider giving Minhyun advice on smart outfit choices for playground play.

JR:

Rock that armor boy! Lovely excess of accessories as always and may I say that you look positively dashing in eyeliner.

RATING:

Personally, I liked Face better initially, then the song began to grow on me little by little. Right now, they’re about even.

Ranking is out of 10 for each category.

THE SONG: 8/10

THE MUSIC VIDEO: 8/10

OVERALL:  9/10

COMMENTS: I think that they're expanding more as a group and each member is differentiating themselves little by little. This song kind of actually reminded me of BAP because it was shouty and stompy and stuff. ;)

EXTRA STUFF:

These are just a couple of comments that people made on youtube that I found interesting:

  1. "Poor Ren... Sometimes I wonder if he actually likes being compared to girls all the time. He always tries to act manly. I think he wants to be handsome not pretty..."
  2. "Love it. Does anyone else think that Ren's and Baekho's haircuts remind you of GD and T.O.P.? Or am i just imagining things? xD"
  3. "Ren would look so much better if i was allowed to do his hair :') i forgot how attractive baekho was, and now i feel mean..."
  4. "2:49 Ren slo-mo with is hair blowing in the wind...sigh"
  5. "The awkward feeling when a guy is prettier than you :( Nevertheless, You're awesome Ren <3 <3"
  6. "Literally a male version of F(x)."

WOO!

Two long updates in two days! Remember requests are appreciated, so comment requests.

Comments are motivating and welcome! Thanks~

PS: Although I love Nu'est, I'm not as familiar with them as Super Junior or SHINee or Big Bang. I MIGHT HAVE MADE A MISTAKE ON THE MEMBERS AND THEIR PARTS, SO IF I'M WRONG PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CORRECT ME.

~A :3