Spoken

Until I Met Her....

 

 

            “Well speak of the devil!” Do seonsaeng said. Devil indeed I thought. That day I was just like my parents. Judging based on appearance. Can’t really blame me though, I grew up around it.
            Her appearance…it was something my sheltered eyes had never seen unless in a music video or something. I didn’t know where to look at. Everything about her screamed rebel. Her medium black hair was straight with red highlights on strands at the base of her neck. They fell, along with the rest of her hair, onto her chest. Not that I was looking there! It was the uniform. Unlike the other girls, her blazer was…enhanced. There were gold studs along the collar and chest pocket. Her shirt wasn’t a button down. It was a plain white V-neck. At least it was tucked into her skirt? Her skirt, at least that was normal. But her legs weren’t covered in tights that cost the same as dinner; no it was covered by knee length socks with rips in them. Did she think that was a style; were my thoughts about her that day. Her converse clad feet walked over to Do Seonsaeng and bowed.
            “Welcome to Seoul Academy,” he said kindly. It was weird. The rest of the class waited for him to comment on her attire or something, but it never happened. Dumbfounded, I watched silently as Wang Ye Jin took the empty seat. It just so happened to be right behind me.
            Back then, I was childish and naïve. I didn’t believe in fate or destiny. If I could have gone back, the one I would have told myself would be never let fate slip away. Accept it.
~
            Homeroom wrapped up and Do seonsaeng walked out leaving us to wait for the next teacher. All throughout class my mind was on what Do was saying. Occasionally I would hear a whisper wondering about the new girl, but I pushed them away from my mind. Since class was over, the whispers were all out conversations.
            “Yah Chanyeol,” Kai called from the seat near the windows. I turned to face the ulzzang. “You’re staying after school right?” he asked looking at me.
            “Of course,” I replied. He smiled slightly and turned back to the guy behind him to continue their conversation. Already facing the side, my eyes curiously shifted to the side to peek at the new girl.
            She was writing something in a small black book that looked like it had taken a beating. Until this day, I never knew what possessed me to look at what she was writing. Her head was down and her hair was covering some off it but I managed to catch a glimpse of the-
            “It’s Mandarin” she spoke for the first time. To say I was shocked was quite the understatement. Her voice did not match her personality at all. It was soft, timid, and almost childish. After a moment she finally looked up at me.
            I studied her face. It was small, kind of round. Clearly she still had a baby face. Her lips were small and her eyes were larger than the normal Korean. Were all Chinese like that?
            “Yeah,” I said finally. She continued to stare at me. I tried to look away but that would have been rude. It seemed like those hazel orbs of hers were trying to…read me? I didn’t really know. I wasn’t used to that kinda of attention before. It was kinda uncomfortable.
            As if hearing my thoughts she looked back down and started writing again. I looked at the paper once more and saw a calendar. Planner maybe? I turned around realized I shouldn’t have really cared what it was.
            Caring about her had no benefit to the Park name….or at least that’s what I used to tell myself.