Bittersweet

Unheard Melody, Oblivious Love

 

Yesung stared at the half eaten food for a moment, before pushing it aside. The more he mulled over his thoughts, the more it made him sick to the stomach, feeling the bitter bile rise to his throat.

Coward.

That was the word that left him where he is now; Kim Jongwoon is a coward, and he admits to being one, but that won’t stop him fully from confessing to Kyuhyun, right?

Wrong.

Kyuhyun has already found himself a partner, and Yesung felt horrible for thinking and even hoping for just one second that they would break up sooner or later. He was always too nice for his own good. If thoughts could kill, Yesung’s mind would’ve brought his death faster than expected, which is why he always try to control his train of thoughts before he thinks up of something quite repulsive.

He got up from the dining table and went to grab his jacket from the clothes hanger, deciding that he’ll do something about the half-eaten food later and go for a walk right now to clear his mind. A walk through the grassy park on a sunny day would usually improve his mood, so surely it will help today.


Kyuhyun let out a boisterous laugh when Sungmin managed to catch up to him and smacked him upside the head, but barely grazed Kyuhyun’s long, light brown hair as he ducked and ran off again.

“Oh come on, hyung! You can do better than that!”Kyuhyun called out over his shoulders, still running, but when he got no reply, the younger stopped and turned back to look at the other, to find him nowhere in sight. All he saw was married couple with a little girl that was her ice cream happily, an old man making his way slowly across, and a group of teenagers by the trashcan smoking. He couldn’t see the elder.

“Sungmin?” He called out cautiously, retracing his footsteps to find the other. “Sungmin? Where are you?” he asked to no one in sight. Kyuhyun’s brows furrowed together in slight confusion that soon turned into worry when the other still didn’t appeared after a few more seconds.

This totally reminded him of the time when Yesung and he went to a carnival, and had gotten separated in the crowd only ten minutes after arriving. Of course, being the pabo hyung that he was, Yesung had immediately ran towards the first attraction he saw in excitement, without checking behind him to see if Kyuhyun had managed to follow. Kyuhyun had been worried out of his mind, only to find Yesung sulkily eating cotton candy on a bench half an hour later.

This was starting to seem like a total repeat of the incident with Yesung, and that was the last thing Kyuhyun wanted to experience on his first date with Sungmin. He finally started to panic a minute later and ran back to where Sungmin had tried to smack him, only to be tackled from behind, bringing both him and the unknown person down to the cement ground with a cry of surprise.

Kyuhyun quickly rolled away from the other and staggered to his feet, preparing for a fight if necessary, although he had no skills in defense, only to see a laughing Sungmin on the floor, clutching his stomach.

“Yah! Where’d you go? I was looking for you!” Kyuhyun said, approaching the laughing figure, crossing his arms.

“You should’ve seen your face!” Sungmin giggled, wiping at a stray tear from laughter and got back up onto his feet unsteadily, trying to control himself. He had ducked behind a pillar after he had missed hitting Kyuhyun, hoping he could jump out at him and scare the younger for being a brat, but he didn’t expect Kyuhyun to be so worried.

Kyuhyun just glared at the smaller male until the other’s giggling fest finally ceased.

“Okay, I’m sorry. But it was still funny.” Sungmin apologized when he saw the displeased look on the boys face. “I was just trying to get back at you for disrespecting me.” He reasoned, but when the other still gave no response and continued to glare at him, Sungmin smiled cheekily, and reached up to pinch the others cheeks. “Aww…..look at how cute you are when you pout!  My little dongsaeng~”

“Y-Yah! I am not cute! And I do not pout!” Kyuhyun stammered, feeling a furious blush creep up to his face and immediately reached up to swat the other’s hands away from his face. The cute one should be Sungmin! And why was he always the younger one? Completely unfair. The injustice of the whole situation somehow reminded him of Yesung; he was also cute, yet still older than him. And just like Yesung, it seemed that Sungmin had a devious side just waiting to pounce behind that “cute” exterior that made him let his guard down. Not. Fair.

“Totally.” Sungmin said sarcastically, finally releasing the younger and gave him a smirk. “Then what were you doing just a moment ago?”

“Glaring at you.” The taller said, narrowing his eyes at the other.

 “It seemed more like a pout to me.” Sungmin shrugged before walking off, Kyuhyun following along right behind.

“It so was not!” The younger argued, walking behind the other absent-mindedly.

“Well you can’t see yourself, so of course that’s what you think!” Sungmin said, rolling his eyes as he made his way through the crowd of the indoor amusement park.

“Can we drop it now?” Kyuhyun said, his tone slightly irritated. “We have different opinions, so let’s just keep it that way.”

“Nope. Not until you promise you’ll do something with me.” Sungmin said, an evil smirk making its way across the bunny boy’s face.

“What is it?’ Kyuhyun sighed exasperatedly. “If we are kidnapping, murdering or stealing, I am not going to do it.”

“How about all three?”

“No! I said I won’t do any of them!”

“But you didn’t say you won’t do all three of them at once.”

“….touché.”

“Exactly.” Sungmin chuckled. “Don’t worry; I’m not going to make you do anything illegal.”

“Then what is it that you want me to do?”

“Simple.” Sungmin grinned, before turning slightly and pointed upwards. “This.”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow in slight amusement. Isn’t he supposed to be the evil one here? Not the other way around?
Kyuhyun’s eyes followed to where Sungmin was pointing at, to be met with the sight of over twenty people screaming their heads off. “That?!” he squeaked.

The elder was pointing at the rollercoaster, T-Express, that Kyuhyun didn’t even notice they had walked up to, until now. The coaster reached sky high and dropped dramatically downwards, probably leaving behind more than just their sanity as the people dropped down.

“Bingo.” Sungmin said, before grabbing the younger’s arm. “Come on now, don’t chicken out.”

“No. Please, not that.” Kyuhyun said with wide eyes, resisting the others eager tugs. No way in hell will he get on that thing. Only now did he fully start to appreciate how “evil” Sungmin was; he was giving Kyuhyun a run for his own money! His first intuition would’ve been to guess that Sungmin would be as scared as hell of the crazy rides, possibly clinging to Kyuhyun in fear with his eyes screwed shut (like another cutie hyung of his), but he obviously thought wrong.

“Well, I guess we could go up to that little girl. I mean, look how cute she is! With her little pigtails and fluffy pink skirt!”

“Okay, let’s ride this .” Kyuhyun said, striding forward courageously, throwing away the thought of how empty Sungmin’s threat actually was, and was actually trying to appear as the awesome and brave boyfriend he is, but chickened out once again when screams filled the joyful atmosphere.

“Oh come on!” Sungmin said, letting out a small whine when Kyuhyun stopped and backed up again. “You’re getting on, and I don’t care that you’re afraid of heights or anything.” He said, threading his fingers through the younger’s longer ones and hauled him towards the somewhat long line.

Kyuhyun momentarily forgot exactly where he was and that he was being dragged to his death when Sungmin’s fingers laced through his. They didn’t fit perfectly like he had expected, but the other’s hands were still warm and comforting against his, giving him some sort of support. Maybe Sungmin will let him hold his hand on the ride…..


Yesung sat down beneath a tree and stared up at the sky. It’s been so long since he was able to just walk outside with no destination in mind, and just wander the streets aimlessly. It’s been exactly one hour since he had left the house, and he wouldn’t have minded walking longer, if it weren’t that he had noticed the dark gray clouds coming his way in the skies, covering up the bright sun.

He just let out a small sigh and pulled his knees closer to his chest as he heard the distant rumble of thunder, warning him of the sudden storm coming his way, but Yesung could care less. He just stayed where he was beneath the tree, watching as the ladybugs and birds scuttled back to the safe confines of their homes up in a tree or burrowed in the cool ground.

It started with a few light drops of cold water that soon became large puddles of pouring rain within ten seconds, the sky darkening into a dull gray, leaving the streets of Seoul wet and ominous.

He opened his right hand slowly, palm up, letting the cool rain that seeped through the small leaves of the trees hit the palm of his hand, watching it pool in his small hands until it spilled over and leaked through his small fingers. His clothes were getting soaked considerably fast, but he didn’t seem to notice the cold clothing that stuck to his pale body like a second skin.

It was only times like these that Jongwoon allowed his mind to wander; wander back to how life was before he felt fluttery around Kyuhyun, before he knew what love was, and before he even knew Kyuhyun. His heart throbbed in pain as the younger’s smile flashed in his mind, and the soft sound of his voice when he laughed at one of Jongwoon’s fails. It was painful to know that that smile was now shared with another, and might as well be directed towards the other only.

He curled up tighter into himself and buried his face into his arms, letting a small sob out to ease the pain, but no tears escaped his eyes. He’ll get over it soon enough; Kyuhyun’s just a phase that’ll pass by.

Jongwoon’s just getting his feelings mixed up, and is misunderstanding the full concept of love….right?


“You alright?” Kyuhyun chuckled as he flipped some wet bangs out of his face, looking over towards the shorter male that he had pulled under the covered area to escape the sudden rainstorm.

“Yeah.” Sungmin grinned wiping the rain water from his face with the sleeve of his shirt, although it didn’t do much but smear some more water on his face since they were both soaked to the bone.

“I actually didn’t expect today to rain.” Kyuhyun said, wiping at his eyes where the water got to. “It was so sunny this morning.”

“Well, welcome to South Korea, where a lot of things are more than just unpredictable.”

“Like our meeting?”

“Wow, you’re cheesy.” Sungmin laughed looking up at the younger in amusement, but his laughter faltered when he looked up to see that Kyuhyun was looking at him with what seemed to be….affection? Fondness? Whatever it was, it made Sungmin blush and shiver a little from the warmth that he got from the younger’s gaze.

Kyuhyun, mistaking the shiver for him being cold, gently put an arm around Sungmin’s waist and pulled him close to share body heat. “I don’t want you to be catching a cold now, do I? You’ll miss out on all our dates that way.”

Sungmin couldn’t help but to smile at what the younger said, and leaned into the warm embrace. “Thanks, Kyuhyun.” He muttered quietly, watching the heavy rain drops fall to the ground to form large puddles on the cement ground.

“No problem. It’s a boyfriend’s job to keep their partner satisfied.” Kyuhyun grinned, patting Sungmin’s wet hair lightly as if he was a dog.

Sungmin just nodded in agreement, not caring how selfish he may sound, and wrapped his arms around the younger’s neck, pulling their bodies closer to each other as he looked back up at the taller male. “I guess this date hasn’t gone to waste, even though it’s raining.”

“Of course not. As long as you’re next to me, my day will always be fulfilled.”


Kyuhyun quickly tried to rinse as much water off his clothes as he can as he rode the elevator up to the of his shared apartment with Yesung, ignoring how muddy the once gleaming elevator floor was. He knew Yesung wouldn’t be happy about the fact that Kyuhyun was drenched in rain water, and also bringing it into their apartment for Yesung to mop up afterwards. 

But when the elevator door opened with a loud ding! Kyuhyun frowned at the sight before him.
Seems like Kyuhyun’s not the only one that walked through heavy rain.

Leading from the elevator to his shared apartment, muddy footprints and small puddles of water trailed its way to their front door.
Kyuhyun walked towards his own apartment and unlocked it, the frown still visible upon his face when he noticed Yesung’s muddy sneakers by the door, and the wet jacket that was hung messily on the clothes hanger.
Yesung usually liked to keep his shoes clean though, saying that it would be a mess if they ever trekked through the apartment with such dirty shoes.

“Hyung, I’m home!” He called out into the dimly lit living space, the dark place only illuminated by the hallway light. “Jongwoon?” He called out again, roughly his high-tops and yanked his soggy socks off of his feet before making his way towards their shared room.

He opened the door quietly, noticing that there was no light coming from beneath the door, assuming the other must be trying to sleep. “Hyung?” he asked quietly into the darkness.

There was no response, as expected, so Kyuhyun decided to just quickly leave to take a hot shower and climb into bed, hopefully not waking the elder up in the process, when he noticed something off.

The smaller male was curled up beneath his blanket, facing the solid wall beside his bed.
Kyuhyun knew Yesung liked to sleep on his back or on his side, hugging the blanket tightly in his arms, but never curled up and beneath the blanket.

“Jongwoon? You alright?” Kyuhyun asked, worried that he may be sick. He saw the figure beneath he covers shift, but didn’t acknowledge Kyuhyun.
“Hyung,” He tried again, reaching forward this time to gently pull the covers back away from the other’s upper body, only to get a sneeze back in reply. “Did you catch a cold?” Kyuhyun frowned, gently sitting down on the edge of the bed, staring down at the other who was hugging a stuffed turtle.

Yesung rubbed lightly at his now red nose and shook his head cutely as he reached down and pulled the covers back up again, around his small frame.

“Liar,” Kyuhyun declared, running his long fingers through the other’s damp hair. “Either you walked through the rain or washed your hair and didn’t dry your hair properly.” The younger reached down and peeled the sheets back away from the elder’s body and dragged the unwilling elder up into a sitting position. “Now it’s my turn to fuss over you.” Kyuhyun tsked with a shake of his head, gently brushing the grumbling elder’s black bangs back away from his face, and pressed the back of his hand to the other’s forehead. “You’re lucky you don’t have a fever yet. Come on, let’s get you dried up.” Kyuhyun slid off the bed again and took the other’s hand and pulled him upwards in a gesture to get up.

Yesung stayed where he was, sitting on the bed with his legs folded to the side, staring up at Kyuhyun with an unreadable expression, his arm still outstretched, slightly above his head since Kyuhyun was still trying to get him up. “Kyuhyun?” he said quietly.

“Hm? What is it, hyung?” Kyuhyun asked, still holding the elder’s hand gently in his.

Yesung didn’t answer immediately, and instead, just continued on staring at Kyuhyun for a moment, his dark eyes flickering back and forth a little as his eyes seemed to trace every feature of Kyuhyun’s face.
“Why do you…..why do you care so much for me?”

Kyuhyun chuckled lightly at the question, missing the forlorn tone in the elder’s voice.
“Because you’re my roommate, Jongwoon. If you get sick, who else is going to clean up after me?” he grinned playfully, before hauling the other up onto his feet without much trouble, Yesung being a small and light male.

Yesung swallowed hard and put a smile on, playing along with Kyuhyun to not ruin the good mood the younger had from his day with his boyfriend. “Figures,” he said with a forced grin, but the younger didn’t notice the effort put into that simple smile, and instead, pushed the elder towards the room of the door.

“Go dry your hair while I go make you something to drink. I’m not letting you back into bed until your warm and dry, alright?” Kyuhyun said, opening the bathroom door and pushed the smaller male in lightly.

Yesung nodded meekly in reply and watched as the younger left for the kitchen. He flicked the lights on and the small bathroom was immediately bathed in bright lights, causing Yesung to cringe a little from the suddenness of it. But what made Yesung cringe even more, was his appearance.
His hair was a mangled mess, not to mention that his eyes are a little red, not too noticeable, and his skin was a sickly white.

Yesung wanted so badly to blame Kyuhyun for everything, but he couldn’t. It really wasn’t the younger’s fault. It was Yesung was a coward, not being the first to confess, and also the one who was foolish enough to let Kyuhyun mess with his heartstrings until it was a jumbled mess of confusion and frustration.

He quickly shook his head to clear his thoughts and pulled the blow dryer out from the bathroom cabinet and plugged the device in before turning it on, drowning his loud thoughts in the sound of the blow dryer.
A few minutes later, Kyuhyun came in with dry clothes in arm and gave Yesung a small side hug as he stepped in.

“I made you some hot chocolate. I left it on the counter so drink it while it’s still hot, but don’t burn yourself, okay?”

Yesung nodded in silence again and pulled away from the younger’s embrace to leave the bathroom so Kyuhyun could have it all to himself. He walked into the kitchen to see indeed that there was a mug of something set on the counter. Yesung reached forward and touched the side lightly to make sure it wasn’t too hot to handle, before cupping it in both of his hands, and lifted it up to his lips, taking a tentative sip from it.

It was sweet as it reached his taste buds, but at the same time, it was bitter.
How can it taste like two opposing flavors?

Yesung set the still full mug back down and stared down at the creamy and warm drink, watching the surface ripple a little from the movement.

Honestly, it wasn’t the drink that was bitter.
It was Yesung who was bitter.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hey guys! I'm back with a new update! Yeah, I know. It's been so long since we have updated this story. Please, blame me only since I was the one who is actually responsible for this chapter. So I don't care if you starts yelling at me, cause hey, I deserve it!
PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS AND TELL ME HOW AWESOME HORRIBLE I AM! I am deprived of comments T^T