Chapter Forty Two

Haenyeo

If there was one thing Eun-Mi couldn’t stand, it was a fan who didn’t respect her idol’s boundaries. Groups of them would sometimes be huddled outside her high-rise apartment building when Eun-Mi arrived home from school – college girls in skimpy shorts and five inch platform stilettos who’d succumbed to the devastating charm of Hyun-Woo. And if Eun-Mi had to admit it, chasing them off before they got a chance to trap Hyun-Woo into a night of club hopping was one of her greater joys in life. It was just one of the ways she proved herself a true music fan, a super-fan worthy of the title bestowed on premium members of Jae-Wook’s fan club – the “Wookies.”

            Not that Hyun-Woo, Hawk, Seung-Bae and her adorable Min-Jae had reached celebrity idol status yet, but they would eventually. Eun-Mi predicted that it was only a matter of time, and it was better that the boys reached the goal without the stain of a scandal to taint their popular appeal.

            Which made the appearance of the gorgeous rich-girl in the white Ferrari all the more troublesome. Eun-Mi was certain the girl wasn’t simply visiting a relative in the building; Eun-Mi knew every resident in the high-rise, and she’d never seen this girl before. Plus, the girl primped in her rear-view mirror like well-seasoned bait – a sure sign she was on the prowl.

            Eun-Mi scowled. Rich girls were such self-absorbed drama queens. And, like little piles of fragrant excrement, they were bound to attract the buzz of the city’s most desperate tabloid photographers.

            Approaching the rear end of the sport’s car, Eun-Mi tapped the tire with the toe of her sneaker. She at the end of a melon pop as she watched the image of the girl’s profile in the side-view mirror. The girl pulled out a tube of lipstick and carefully drew it over her lips.

            Eun-Mi sniffed, and then drew the end of her melon pop along the area just above the Ferrari’s rounded wheel well. The green ice cream left a bright, sticky residue over the car’s white paint. Carefully, she sculpted the outline of a perfectly formed pile of poo.

            When the car door opened, Eun-Mi turned, ready for battle, but the girl didn’t even notice the lime-green graffiti. Her jaw was hinged open and her eyes glued to a figure rushing out of the high-rise’s lobby.

            Eun-Mi turned just in time to catch Haenyeo’s panicked profile.

            “Eonni?” Eun-Mi called out. The melon pop slipped from her fingers and fell to the pavement.

            “Eonni!” Eun-Mi cried in alarm. But Haenyeo didn’t stop and, instead, raced down the sidewalk towards the street.

            “Eonni! What is it? Did something happen?”

            Haenyeo didn’t even so much as turn, and Eun-Mi – shorter legged but equally determined – sprinted after, elbows pumping and teeth grinding. She overtook the red-head at the street corner and grabbed Haenyeo’s wrist just in time to stop her from rushing across through on-coming traffic.

            “What is it? What’s wrong?”

            Haenyeo’s blue eyes were limp and dazed, she looked utterly disconnected from her surroundings. Eun-Mi tugged at her.

            “What? What is it? Tell me what’s wrong!”

            The crosswalk bleeped, signaling it was safe, and Haenyeo pulled away and stepped into the street. A delivery driver in a large, white truck honked and his head out of the driver’s side window. He let loose a long, low whistle and beaconed Haenyeo to come closer.

            “Ya! You ert!” Eun-Mi shouted at him. She kicked a few loose bits of gravel in his direction. "What’s your problem?”

            The driver honked again, and Haenyeo spun in confusion and pressed her palms to her temples. Her fingernails dug into her scalp.

            “Omo!” Eun-Mi squealed in horror. “Eonni! Your dress! You’re soaking wet! You’re showing … everything!”

            Haenyeo turned again and began stumbling toward the far side of the intersection. Eun-Mi hopped in front of her and, using her own body as a visual barrier, flapped her arms and danced from side to side in a desperate attempt to salvage her older friend’s dignity.