Chapter Thirty Two

Haenyeo

By the time Eun-Mi and Haenyeo arrived at the airport, a crowd of almost fifty devoted fans had already gathered near the customs exit, through which Jae-Wook was expected to pass on his way to the luxurious, black van his entertainment company had sent to safely him through the city. The airport’s security staff had prepared a barrier to prevent the girls from storming the secured area and molesting the high profile customer when they, inevitably, lost their teenaged minds.

The girls tested the rope, but stayed obediently behind it.

 Many of the fans had prepared signs, handmade with neon markers and glitter paint, professing their love and support while others clutched cards and heart-felt letters ready to be pressed into Jae-Wook’s hand as he walked by. All of them held their cell phone cameras at the ready.

Eun-Mi squealed to vent her excitement and then grabbed Haenyeo’s hand.

“Let’s try to get a spot in the front so we can get a better view.”

Taking the lead, the tiny teen ducked her head and wedged her way into the crowd. When the displaced fans turned to complain, and instead of the face of a fellow Korean saw a tall, doe-eyed foreigner, they stopped, forgetting the pain of Eun-Mi’s sharp elbows, and stared.

Eun-Mi hadn’t had time to show Haenyeo the proper way to prepare for an idol sighting, and though she’d taken great pains with her own cloths, hair and make-up, the red-head had simply been stuffed back into her white summer dress and one of grandmother’s blue and beige paisley silk scarves quickly wrapped around her soggy hair.

“What is that funny smell?” someone whispered.

“He’s coming!” someone else shrieked, and the crowd, as one, stepped forward, stretching the rope barrier to its limit. Each girl raised her cell phone and began recording.