Chapter Twenty Six

Haenyeo

Min-Jae was glaring at him.

Hawk shifted in his chair at the Park family’s kitchen table and focused on the plate of creamy white tofu centered between them.

Min-Jae kicked him under the table. “You got me arrested,” he hissed, low enough to prevent his mother from hearing where she folded laundry in the next room. She’d left them with instructions that Min-Jae wasn’t allowed up from the table until he’d eaten the entire square as a reminder of his need to stay out of trouble, to stay as pure as the white tofu.

Hawk shrugged. “You got yourself arrested. Setting off an alarm wasn’t my idea.”

Flabbergasted, Min-Jae’s jaw dropped. A mouth full of half-chewed, white goo crumbled over his tongue. “Ya! You bastard, you know I thought Seung-Bae was going to get in trouble. And that is your fault.”

Hawk poked at the plate with a spoon.

“How could you not notice? You were with her the entire morning,” Min-Jae accused.

“How was I supposed to know? I didn’t see anyone taking her picture. And a red shirt is a red shirt.”

Min-Jae snatched up the cell and it at Hawk. “Look. Look at that. You see that? That’s clearly an old world cup t-shirt. Even I saw her wearing that shirt at the apartment.”

“Then why didn’t you notice it before?”

“Because,” Min-Jae leaned across the table and spat the trump into his friend’s face. “I got arrested.”

Hawk reached up with his fingertips to wipe the tofu flecks off his face.

“You owe me,” Min-Jae hissed.

Hawk sighed. “Ok, ok. What do you want.”

“Let me move in. Officially.”

“What? And have Pastor Park visiting every day to make sure we’re behaving like good little lambs? No way. No thanks.”

“You got me arrested.”

“You can sleep on the couch.”

“I already sleep on the couch.”

“And the couch is already used to your drool.”

“I want a room.”

“There isn’t an extra room, you know that. Maybe you can share with her. I’m sure Seung-Bae wouldn’t mind that.”

“Let me stay in your room.”

“What? No way.”

“You got me arrested.”

“You can sleep on the floor.”

“Yesss!”

Hawk sighed.

“And one other thing,” Min-Jae said.

“What?”

 “You …” Min-Jae glanced over his shoulder to make sure his mother wasn’t looking, then slid the plate across the table, “… eat the rest of this.”