Escaping Friendzone

Collection of one-shots of my different OTPs

 

 

 

 

It was all so weird, how it happened. Actually, it was all weird on how it happened at all.

I was down in Sungmin's basement with him, who has been my best friend as long as we both could remember. We were jamming on our guitars. Totally normal. Just hanging and playing. I was working on a song, concentrating really hard, trying to get the solo down, and that's when it all happened.

Sungmin suddenly came up to me and kissed me. I was shocked, stupefied. Anyway, I did not handle it well. I mean, I sort of screamed. Well, not screamed, exactly, I think? Rather, it was more of a yelp....I guess.....Well, anyways, he had taken me by surprise. I had been concentrating on the song, so obviously I wasn't prepared for the kiss, especially one that came from my best friend. The kiss. My first kiss. And it came out of nowhere.

Sungmin and I were best friends, buds, totally tight but not in the boy-girl kind of way, well at least in my point of view.

"Uhhhh.....sorry Sunny...." Sungmin stammered after my yelp

"Sure....well, no, I mean....that's okay...!!" I said nervously, not being able to look him in the eye "....I....I should probably go..." I said, grabbing my things

Sungmin didn't even try to stop me, at all. He just back out of my way as soon as I zoomed out of the door.

I cried that night. Really hard. I kept thinking about Sungmin's kiss! Why did I help? Why did I do that? Lame, lame, LAME!!! It wasn't as if I hadn't imagined him kissing me a thousand times. I had. I just never thought he would actually do it. We'd been best friends since fourth grade. It had pretty much seemed as though he didn't even realize I was a girl. I was happy just to be his friend.

But then he kissed me and it was so weird because I knew the kind of girl Sungmin liked. He has been crushing on Kim Hyorin, the most popular girl in our school, mainly because of her y body, in our school all last year. She was really y, pretty and talented. I wasn't. 

Anyway, I was so sure that I had blown it with Sungmin. Now I was sure that he now thought that I was the world's biggest dork.

I didn't talk to Sungmin for the rest of the summer. My aunt in Busan had just given birth to twins and I went to help her. I was sort of like their nanny for this summer. It was a good job and my aunt paid me big bucks, and she had a pool. 

But I kept thinking about Sungmin, his kiss and I was wondering if we were still friends. Over the entire summer, confused thoughts ran through my head. Why had he kissed me? Why was I such a moron?

On our first day back to school, I was nervous. My palms were sweaty and I felt sort of excited and nauseous. Sungmin didn't show up to walk to school with Yuri, my really good friend, and I like he would always do. Things were not looking good and I was very worried.

"I can't believe Sungmin ditched us." Yuri complained, crossing her arms, saying the same line for the tenth time as we walked Sungmin-less to school. "What the hell is up with him?!" she asked

The thing is, I never exactly told her about Sungmin's kiss. I don't know why exactly, I usually tell her everything, but I didn't know why I didn't tell her this and now, walking to school, I still couldn't bring myself to say anything. I mean, what could I say? I'm a dork? I was literally unable to spit the words out. It just hurt too much. The thought was just too brutal.

Instead, I tried to concentrate on the new school year. New classes. New year. New friends. New opportunities. I tried to think of the line: You never know, things can turn out great.

When we finally got to school, we found Sungmin at his locker, talking to none other than Kim Hyorin. Seeing them together was like a punch in the stomach. Extreme pain. Before I could stop her, Yuri marched over to Sungmin.

"Where the hell were you Sungmin?! Sunny and I waited for you for like an hour this morning. What happened?!" she asked angrily

"He walked with me." Hyorin informed us with a smile smugly

The bell rang and I headed for homeroom feeling like the world's biggest jerk. I'd thought about Sungmin all summer long. Thought about his kiss but obviously, he didn't waste his time thinking about me because over the summer, he got what he wanted. HYORIN. Trauma, trauma, trauma.

I crept into fourth period just as the tardy bell rang. It was the class I'd been dreading all day because it was band and I knew that I'd have to face Sungmin. I avoided his gaze as I slipped into my seat. Actually, I avoided his gaze during class but I was unable to avoid him once class was over. He was beside me before I had the chance to run away.

"Look, let's talk." he finally uttered

"No, no, no, no, no. N-not now...! I...I...I...I'm late...!!" I lied, still avoiding him.

I tried to rush off because I knew that I was about to cry but then he quickly grabbed my arm, making me stay.

"Just for a minute at least." he said calmly 

I glared at him as I tried to keep my tears back. 

"I'm sorry I didn't show up this morning. Hyorin came by and....well....I don't know, I've been afraid that things might be weird between us, between you and me." he said

I looked away from him and muttured "You should have called."

"Yeah, I know and I'm sorry." he said

"Whatever." I wiggled free of of his hold and headed for the door. "See ya." I said, not even looking at him.

When lunch came, I told Yuri about what Sungmin told me. She was more understanding towards Sungmin than I was, to my surprise.

"Well, Hyorin went to his house, not the other way around." she reasoned "....I guess that's not his fault. Besides, he's had a crush on her for like, forever. Give him a break Sunny." she said

"Well....he should have called me." I sulked, still feeling a knife in my back

"Face it Sunny." Yuri said "....guys are spazzers when they like a girl."

Moments later, Sungmin walked in the cafeteria with Hyorin with her group of friends. I slunk down in my seat, my heart sinking at the sight of them. I hated this new school year, the worst part was that this was even my first day! I just wished that everything would go back to the way things were last year, when Sungmin just drooled over Hyorin from a distance. Those were the good old days. 

Feeling gloomy, I was surprised to see Sungmin leave Hyorin and her followers to come sit across Yuri and me.

"Are you still mad?" he asked

I looked down at the table, not wanting to answer. How could I even possibly answer?

"I'm not mad at you Sungmin." Yuri piped in "...I'm not, I totally understand. So....don't think I'm storming away." Yuri said as we watched her skip off in silence 

Sungmin then turned to face me. "I'm sorry I didn't show up today. Seriously, I was afraid to face you but I thought about you all summer you know." he said

"Right." I said sarcastically, scoffing "...while you were getting together with Hyorin." 

He shook his head in disbelief and then he grinned. "Why? Are you jealous Lee Sunny?" he teased

I started blushing madly and I glared at him. "Ya! Lee Sungmin, no way!" I stammered

"Okay, okay." he said chuckling "...of course you aren't." he said, still teasing me "But seriously though, we aren't together. All summer long, all I could think about was you. About all the fun we used to have, at least until I kissed you. I really blew it huh?" 

I could only drop my jaw. "You didn't blow it, I did!" I exclaimed

"But the way you acted---"

I quickly cut him off by saying "I didn't even know how to act! I was just really surprised!" I said

He grinned. "You screamed."

My face reddened like a tomato. "I didn't scream, I yelped!"

Then I looked at Sungmin's smirking face and I knew right then and there that everything was finally all right.

And so that's how I escaped friendzone. My first kiss, my first day back to school, even my first boyfriend. 

 

 

.