Morning After

Off Days

Junsu woke up two mornings after, feeling refreshed but slightly cooked.

The morning rays had fallen on the spot where his had been and the burning light had sizzled and scorched away at his skin, to a point where he found it hard to ignore. He tried scooting over to the other side of the bed to avoid the heat and was surprised that he found no resistance.

Curiosity got the better of him and he sat up to check beneath the covers. Nothing.

He looked over both sides of the bed. Nothing either.

A search of the house also turned up empty.

He checked his cell and realized that he had slept for more than 32 hours. That explained his aching back.

But what about his empty arms? Does she have a schedule today?

As if on cue, his stomach rumbled bringing his attention to another empty aspect of his morning. He rubbed it distractingly as he made his way to the kitchen.

I wonder if there's anything to eat... Junsu thought as he scrolled through the text messages on his cell.

The thought of ordering takeaway made him blanched. His meals for the past month had been a combination of fast food, in-flight meals and local delicacies of the country he was touring. The new tastes and sights had been an enjoyable experience but being home made him yearn for a simple meal of rice with steaming hot soup, topped off with his favourite side dish of seasoned lotus root. Just thinking of biting into those sweet cuts made his mouth water. One unread message distracted him from his salivating revirie.

It was a security log from the house alarm. The system was programmed to send a report to his cell should any door or window be opened or closed at any given time. It had cost him a bomb but the price had been worth it to safeguard his privacy and hers from rabid fans and stalkers.

The log showed that she had left around 6 this morning but stayed the whole of yesterday, only going out for 2 hours on one occasion near mid morning.

Junsu let out a long frustrated groan. He should have woken up yesterday morning. He really should have. They didnt get to spend alot of time together and he had blown this offchance by sleeping the day away. He closed his eyes and smacked the back of his neck in remorse.

"So what did she do the whole of yesterday if she wasn't in bed with me?" Junsu grumbled "Why didn't she wake me?"

As he went to grab a bottle of water, Junsu found his answer in the most unlikely place.

His jaw dropped as he stared at rows and rows of neatly stacked plastic containers lining every compartment of his refrigerator, their semi transparent surface reflecting the contents within. Each container carried a label with her hand writing and Junsu could make out the words cabbage kimchi, seasoned watercress, anchovies, mixed snow peas and an assortment of other side dishes.

The sight of one particular container seemingly filled with brown liquid caught his attention and he grabbed at it with eager hands. He let out a whoop and punched the air with delight as the lid was pried off. She had made him his fav.

His smile widen more as he found a silver pot filled with chilled beanpaste stew on the bottom rack. A note stuck on the lid read:

- There is rice in the cooker. Remember to first heat everything up. Cold food on an empty stomach is bad for you. ^^  - T -

Junsu laughed as he kissed the note with relish. She always made him feel like a hero coming back from long worn battle. He went to wash up and proceeded to do as she had bid.