Stuffed Penguins

Stuffed Penguins

 

“Ji-yah!”
“I’m coming, I’m coming! Don’t leave yet okay?”
“But mom said we’ll be leaving in five minutes.”
“L-look out....side.”

Little Seunghyun ran to the glass paneled front door, and grinned in delight. His best and only friend stood right outside, drenched to the bone in cold rain. The older of the two children opened the door, and ushered Jiyong in, throwing an old coat over his shivering body, before tugging him upstairs and into his room.

“Jiyong. I wanted to give you something. He means a lot to me, but since I’m leaving, and you need some memory of me, I’m giving him to you.”
“What is it?” Asked the smaller, peering over his hyung’s shoulder.

Seunghyun reached into the box in the middle of the completely empty room. All that was in it was a small stuffed penguin. He brushed the faux fur a little before handing it to his friend.

“You take good care of h-him, okay?”

Jiyong blinked at the animal. There wasn’t anything special, it was just a simple, everyday penguin plush toy. But the way Seunghyun’s voice quivered when he handed it to him told Jiyong something else.

“J-ji. If you ever get scared at night from those bad dreams, then you hug him reaaaaaaal tight, and don’t let go. He’ll help you go right back to sleep, and then those monsters and bad dreams can’t hurt you anymore because he has magic penguin powers.”

Ji hugged the little penguin with all his might, not daring to let go. Seunghyun tilted his head to the side.

“Are you scared right now?”
“I’m absolutely terrified, hyung.”
“E-eh?”
“I’m not gonna see my best friend anymore. Who’s gonna throw pine cones into that mean lady’s yard? Who’s gonna scare the birds off our fence? Am I going to have to catch lizards on my own?”

Seunghyun sat there silent for a second. His young mind was reeling from the sudden reality check that had slapped across his face. He opened his mouth, and this time whispered loud enough to where only Jiyong could hear him.

“Jiyong, that penguin is going to take my place. He’ll be there when you catch lizards. He’ll be there when you do everything you did with me. He’s just going to make sure that I have a nice place to come back to when I do comeback.”
“So you’re saying he has super powers?”
“I guess so.”

A shout from downstairs pricked Seunghyun's ears up.

"Seunghyun, tell Jiyong goodbye and that you'll come to visit. The moving trucks are leaving soon!"

The two children turned to each other with tears welled up in each other's eyes. Neither one wanted to leave. Neither one wanted to say goodbye.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

AN: I really don't know what I just wrote tbh.
I mean.
Nope I seriously don't know what the hell I just wrote.
I think I was falling asleep.
I know it's five forty four AM right now.
I should be sleeping but instead I got the idea for this and it seemed cute so uhhh.
-disappears-
~Minnie

ITS NOT LETTING ME BOLD MY AUTHOR'S NOTE NOR IS IT LETTING ME COLOR IT PURPLE (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

kay. uh so like

there's gonna be another chapter. soon tho.