Not Even 'I Love You'

Not Even 'I Love You'

Yuri and Sooyoung got to know each other through soccer. They were from different schools but theri group of friends always played at the same field. Having always playing with or against each other, they became the close of friends.

After every match they played, Sooyoung would always be rushing to go off, telling his friends that he's meeting his best friend. 

Sooyoung never stopped bragging about his best friend when they were packing. He said that she is cute. She is nice. The best best friend he could ever asked for. She always wait for him even when he told her he'll be late. They always walked home together as the two live near each other. He was proud of his best friend. And he wasn't lying. His best friend is really THE best friend. His friends would always , saying that he loves her more than just best friends. But that wasn't true. Thei friendship was just as sstrong since they were close since childhen. Sooyoung never had such feelings for her because he treasure their best-friendship. He just compliments her  a lot to show off his great best friend.

All the compliments though, made Yuri developed a slight attraction towards Sooyoung's best friend. Sooyoung made him want to meet this girl and make friends with her. Till that one day, he actually begged Sooyoung to let him walk home with them since he didn't stay too far from them either.

That was when Yuri met Jessica, Sooyoung's best friend. He realised that Sooyoung was not over-complimenting her. She was really beautiful and cute despite her lack in terms of height.

Yuri, is the good boy kind. He has always been conentrating in his studies only and never had a girlfriend. He didn't even planned to have one till he get a stable job. However, after meeting Jessica, he felt something for the first time. Everytime he gets to meet her, he feels happy. He looked forward to seeing her. He even preffered to follow Sooyoung walk home with Jessica even though it was a much longer way back to his home.

After a few days of meeting each other, they exhanged phone numbers and it made Yuri happier since he could talk or text with her everyday if they couldn't meet.

Meanwhile, Jessica was surprised to see Yuri at first. She was rather shy but secretly finds him cute. She is always shy around guy she's not close with. But because Sooyoung was there, it wasn't really awkward between her and Yuri. He made the two strangers become friends.

Over a month, they got closer, even Sooyoung was jealous that Yuri was getting more attention from his best friend than he is. But it wasn't the love triangle jealousy. He knows they were starting to like each other and decided to let them have time alone together. He even made up excuses after their soccer matches, telling Jessica to go home with Yur instead cos he had to fetch his younger sister from school and whatsoever. It was sometimes true though.

From then on, Yuri always walked home with Jessica. Sometimes they talk alot. Sometimes it was just silence. Sometimes they went to eat. And most of the times, they just shared a giant cup of Slurpee from 7-11 on their way home. It became an everyday thing. Or a habit. They enjoyed each other's company. And somehow, they know of the other's feelings for them and were waiting for the other to confess. Yuri even slipped it out, saying that he was falling for her, while they were joking around. Jessica didn't take it seriously.

He had already fallen for her. He wanted to confess but there was something stopping him. He could never confess. He thought through it a lot, and decided not to. He even consulted Sooyoung for many times, but in the end, his decision remains.

After two whole months of knowing each other, and eventually liking one another, Yuri decided to tell Jessica the sad truth. 

One night, while they were talking on the phone, Yuri said, "I've always wanted to tell you how much I like you. But I can't. I can't commit."

Jessica was flustered for a while. She was speechless. Glad that he finally told her he liked her. But she was also surprised by his last sentence. Nonetheless, she was smiling widely. "What do you mean you can't commit?"

"I can't do long distance relationship." Yuri continued.

"Long distance? We're only staying a few minutes away from each other." Jessica did not understand what Yuri was talking about.

"Yeah.. but. Actually, my family is moving to Japan. My dad's business is relocated there. And I'll be continuing my studies there so I can help him in the future. I don't know if I'll ever come back here." Yuri said slowly.

Jessica was still smiling a little but inside she felt like crying. She was just too astounded to reach properly. "What?"

"I knew about this since before I met you. And this is why I didn't want to confess to you. If we were to be together, it would be harder for you to move on after I leave. I don't want to hurt you any more than I am now..." 

There was some silence for awhile. "And you're only telling me this now?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't know how to tell you."

"When will you be going off?"

"In a few days time....." 

Jessica sniffed. And Yuri knew instantly that she was crying. 

"Please don't cry.."

"How do you expect me not to cry??" There were more sniffings after that and it hurt Yuri to know that Jessica was crying because of him. Then, he heard the beeping of the line. Jessica had hung up her phone. 

Having already memorised Jessica's school timetable, Yuri skipped school and waited for her under her apartment the next morning to meet her before she goes to school. He knew calling her won't work. 

Jessica was surprised to see him waiting for her. She walked quickly towards a different direction, away from him. But being a guy, he was faster and caught up with her in no time.

"Please don't run away from me. I skipped school just to see you." Jessica didn't exactly know why she was avoiding him when all she wants was to be with him. "We need to talk." Yuri stood infront of Jessica, blocking her way. 

"I have school to go to." Jessica stepped to the side but Yuri did the same too and again, blocked her way.

"I have school too but I skipped." Yuri tried to convince her. Jessica sighed and gave in.

"Alright, but be quick." They walked leisurely in the neighbourhood, around the same place for a few times, not saying anything. After an hour plus of silence, Yuri broke it. 

"I thought you have school."

"I'm skipping it. Because of you."

"Aww." Yuri chuckled, earning himself a slap on his arm. It was stinging, but he still smiled cos he liked it.

The two decided to make full use of the only day they have left to spend together. It was only until early evening as Jessica had to be somewhere else by then.

Soon, they reached the train station. But before Jessica went in, Yuri begged her to walk with him to the next train station which was only 10 minutes away from there cos he wants to spend more time with her. But Jessica ignored. She was tired and lazy after walking around a lot. And she also didn't want to be around him for too long. Besides, she need to get used to not having him around soon.

"Bye, Yuri." Jessica said, rather coldly.

"No. Don't say bye now. Only say it when I'm leaving." 

Jessica remained quiet.

"I'll see you at the airport." Yuri said, as though forcing her to be there although Jessica didn't say anything about sending him off.

"Okay..." Jessica tapped her card and went in the station.

Not feeling satisfied, Yuri jumped over the barrier as he didn't have his transport card with him. "Wait! Sica." Jessica stopped and facepalmed at his stupidity.

The security guard was already making his way towards Yuri. "Sorry sir, I left something with her and I just want to take it back." He explained to the officer before walking to Jessica. The guard fixed his eyes on him. Even the passerbys were peeking at them.

Truthfully, Yuri didn't know why he went after Jessica. He just don't want her to leave yet.

"See you." Yuri said as he rubbed the back of his head and then dragged himself out of the station, apologising to the officer on his way out.

 

Yuri had made Sooyoung promise him that he will bring Jessica along with him to the airport. He was so afraid Jessica would not turn up.

 

Time flies. The day they were dreading for, arrived. As promised, Sooyoung managed to make Jessica come with him to the airport.

After Yuri checked in his baggage, get his flight tickets and all, he only had 20 minutes to say goodbye to Jessica. And of course his good friend Sooyoung.

"Sooyoung. I'll miss you, dude." They hugged for a while. "Thanks for letting me meet Sica. Take care of her for me okay?" Sooyoung patted his back.

"Don't worry, bro. Keep in touch alright? Check your mails everyday. Take care, dude. And don't forget me." Sooyoung ruffled Yuri's hair before stepping aside to let him say his goodbye words to Jessica.

"Hey." Yuri started, intertwining his index finger with Jessica's because she was being stubborn and didn't let him hold her hand.

"Hey." Jessica replied.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier."

"It's okay." Jessica shook her head, her eyes on the floor, and her feet making patterns on it. She didn't want to look him in the eyes because she knew she will cry if she does.

"See? If I confessed earlier, and we got together, this goodbye would be much more harder and painful. I don't want that. You have to understand why I didn't tell you earlier." 

"Ara." Jessica nodded slightly.

"Don't wait for me, okay? Forget everything. Pretend the past two months didn't happen. Forget you met me. And I'll do the same."

'Babo. How can I?' Jessica thought while nodding slowly, tears slowly forming in her eyes. A tear dropped.

"Hey, don't cry. You'll be fine." Yuri wiped the tear off and said softly. "You'll find a better guy."

'You're the best guy I could ever ask for, babo.' Jessica sniffed and remained quiet.

"I guess it's goodbye now? Bye, Jessica Jung."

Yuri's mother at the back was touched seeing her son being like a grown up man. "Aww. Group hug!" She squeezed them together as she hugged both of them. "Gomawo Jessica for making him happy the way I can't." Yuri's mother thanked her and hugged her tight. "I'm sorry we have to leave..." She felt sad for the two young lovebirds.

While all that was happening, Sooyoung recorded a video at the movie-like scene infront of him, laughing at Yuri's cheesiness at the same time.

Yuri wanted to kiss Jessica's forehead but Jessica, still being stubborn, shook her head before he could.

"Goodbye, Yuri." She offered him a handshake instead. Yuri smiled and held her hand tightly for the last time.

"Goodbye."

"Don't worry Yuri. I'll marry her so no other guy can have her. When you come back, I can just divorce her so you can have her back." Sooyoung managed to joke around to lighten up the mood. 

After Yuri checked in, Jessica didn't stay any longer to watch him. She wouldn't be able to bear the sight so she walked off first while Sooyoung waved to Yuri through the glass.

 

One Month Later...

A month passed and Jessica still couldn't get over him. Especially with Sooyoung telling her everything Yuri and him emailed about. It made it harder for her to forget him. It was also her fault for asking Sooyoung how Yuri's doing.

In their emails, Yuri kept asking Sooyoung how she was doing. Whether she already has a boyfriend. He even told Sooyoung that he still stalked Jessica's twitter. He even hated his 13 year old cousin's friend who reminded him of Jessica. Since he was temporarily living with his cousin at Japan, he asked his cousin not to bring her friend home anymore.

Jessica was slightly angry because Yuri asked her to forget about him yet he was the one busy asking about her all the time.

Little did Yuri know that his conversation with Sooyoung were shown to Jessica.

 

One day, Jessica was not feeling well and was sleeping when she got a call from an unknown overseas number. She never picks up calls from unknowns but because she was half asleep, she wasn't thinking properly and answered the phone call. "Hello?" Her voice was hoarse and it was clear that she was sick.

"Are you sick?" The caller asked.

"Who are you?" Jessica asked back.

"You don't recognise my voice?" Then, it struck her. Yuri. It caused her to sit up straight.

"Yuri? Is that you??" She coughed a little.

"You haven't answer my question. Are you sick?" He asked again.

"Yes, a little. Yuri! Why did you call all of a sudden? What happened to forgetting...?" Jessica was happy to receive a call from him but also a little sad, knowing he's far away from her.

"I just need to talk to you." 

For the next 10 minutes, he complained to her about his new school, telling her how different the school system was, how lost he feels, how afraid he is to make new friends. He also told her that he asked his mother stop drinking caramel coffee as it reminded him of her.

Jessica was confused with Yuri's actions. He didn't want to be reminded of her but he kept asking about her in emails. And then, he even called her.

"Do you still keep in touch with Sooyoung?" Jessica had asked.

"Yeah. Almost everyday we emailed and I asked him about you. Didn't he tell you?" He answered honestly. Jessica giggled and pretended that she didn't know about their emails.

"Nope. What do you ask him about me?"

"Just how you're doing and all."

'Liar...' Jessica frowned. "I see..."

The call ended abruptly after that as Yuri had class to go to and they both didn't want her phone bills to go high.

Jessica smiled stupidly to herself as she tried to get back to sleep. For that few minutes, her sick feeling disappeared and she was all happy.

So much for trying to forget each other...

 

 

THE END

 

hope you guys enjoyyy~ ^^