Chapter 01: The Wide-Eyed Angel

Into Your World

Hana’s POV

 

I wouldn’t call this a love story. I have learnt far too many things from this experience to call it a love story. I would say that it is a story of love, courage and acceptance. This is my story. No… Our story.

 

Kyungsoo’s POV

 

When Papa created us, we were told to watch over the people on Earth from above. I asked Him why we weren’t down there with the others. Papa gave me a warm smile and said that we were specially created to help Him guide the people of the Earth. I didn’t understand what Papa meant by that though.

 

Narrator

 

Out of all the Angels that resided in the Garden of Paradise, Papa found Kyungsoo to be the most endearing due to the boy’s curious yet innocent nature.

 

Little Do Kyungsoo. Although he is of small stature, Papa gave him eyes so big and round that they made him look constantly like a lost child. He also has milky white skin and full, luscious lips which spread out into the shape of a heart whenever Kyungsoo smiled.

 

The Angels of the Garden of Paradise were not only blessed with beautiful faces, they also have a pair of huge white wings and are given Eternal Life, which means that they never die. Calculating how long an Angel has been living in the Garden of Paradise, one would have to count the number of years from when the Angel was created. The Angels will continue to age chronologically for an eternity but their appearance will remain unchanged once they enter their 30th year.

 

Today is the 19th year since Kyungsoo was created. It was like any other day to him. He just watched over the people on Earth, observing their smiles and laughter with his big eyes. Kyungsoo was used to seeing this. In fact, he saw a lot of things. He saw how war affected not only those who initiated it, but also those who were innocent and had nothing to do with it. He saw a lot of deaths and how each person coped with it. Some got over it after a good cry. Some needed a long time to adjust to the loss.

 

There was one thing that bothered Kyungsoo though. He saw how people loved each other. Not a mother’s love towards her children. Not that kid’s love for his pet rabbit. Not a musician’s love for music.

 

It’s the love between a boy and a girl. A man and a woman.

 

Now, Kyungsoo has never experienced such a feeling before. He has no idea what it feels like to love a girl. From what he sees on Earth, it seemed to be a very nice thing to feel. Yes, Kyungsoo had no other word to describe it. He just thought that it’d be a nice thing. He decided to ask Papa.

 

Kyungsoo’s POV

 

“Papa…”

 

Papa looked up. He smiled at me. I have always liked Papa’s smile. It was very warm and fatherly. He just looked at me, knowing that I had a question for Him.

 

“The love between a boy and a girl… What does it feel like, Papa? I know it’s a nice feeling but what exactly does it feel like?”

 

Papa just kept silent. He knows alright. He is the most knowledgeable.

 

“Can I fall in love with a girl too?” I asked this time.

 

Still no answer.

 

I can’t possibly fall in love with one of the female Angels here. We were not created for that. Plus, all of us are like a huge family. But I can fall in love with a girl right? A girl from Earth.

 

It was then that I learnt that Angels were not allowed to fall in love with human beings. The consequences were dreadful. Should an Angel fall in love with a human being, his or her wings would be taken away. He or She would not be allowed back to the Garden of Paradise and must spend his time alone on Earth with no memories of the Garden of Paradise as well as the human being they fell in love with. Even the human being’s memory would be erased. Eternal Life would no longer apply to him or her. The Angel will die eventually like every other human being on Earth.

 

“Oh well, it’s not like I could make a girl fall in love with me… Thank you anyway, Papa!”

 

I skipped back to the Garden of Paradise.

 

A thought suddenly came up. My eyes widen.

 

Maybe I can ask Papa to let me visit Earth for a while and play cupid for a boy and a girl. Just this once! It wouldn’t hurt to try asking Papa, right?

 

Narrator

 

With that, Kyungsoo went back to Papa. He was excited yet nervous at the same time.

 

He softly called upon Papa. Papa turned to face him. Kyungsoo grinned. Papa knew where this was going. He understands how curious Kyungsoo must be regarding the topic on love. However, He simply cannot allow Kyungsoo to interfere with the Angel of Love’s job.

 

“But why, Papa? Just this once! If I can just help two people fall in love, I’ll be able to see how love works at an even closer distance!” Kyungsoo argued.

 

Papa cannot risk letting a young Angel like Kyungsoo deal with a human being’s love life.

 

Kyungsoo pouted. He was upset and disappointed. He didn’t want to argue his point anymore. He slowly turned his back and walked away from Papa.

 

“Just this once. But be very careful. I worry for your safety.” he heard Papa say.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes lit up like a thousand candles on a birthday cake.

 

“I’ll be careful!”