Coffee and Cat

The Life and Times of a Cat named Dadoong

 

Chapter 1 – Coffee and Cat

Cheondoong POV

“Annyeonghaseo!” I called out cheerfully, announcing my arrival to the staff members. Many nodded to me, pleased that they could finally get on with their work. The only person who actually approached me was the owner of this café: Coffee and Cat.

I adored the place from the moment I stepped in. It’s was decorated with creamy white walls, wooden tables and everything a cat lover could want. It wasn’t in-your-face pastel bright or black-and-white depressing; to simply put it, the décor was refreshing. It was everything a cat lover would want – including the cats.

The entire place was filled to brim with cats. Cats in their baskets stacked along the bookcase like wall, cats lazing about on tables or their fluffy catstands and cats on the counter. This café was a cat café; it was meant for people to come with their pet cats and enjoy an afternoon off. And today, it was where I was taking a photoshoot.

“Nice to meet you, Cheondoong-ssi.” A man shook my hand. He was middle-aged with sleek black hair tucked into a black fedora and a smooth pin-striped business suit. “My name is Noh JooHee, the representative and owner of Coffee and Cat café.”

“Nice to meet you,” I nodded respectfully. “I love the place.” I couldn’t keep the wistful tone out of my voice. Indeed this place was like a dream home to me. My eyes followed one white tabby that wound its way around the tables and then darted to a midnight black cat that rubbed against my legs. I bent down to its downy fur and a small smile flashed on my face.

Joo Hee evidently saw my love for cats. “I see there’s no need to inquire about whether or not you’re willing to do a shoot with a cat.” He laughed.

I laughed too. The only reason I had been so eager to take part in this photoshoot was for the cats after all.

“Come this way then, please.” Joo Hee gestured in the direction of where the cameras and lighting had all been set up. I dropped my bag and jacket onto the plushy leather couch and let the stylists swarm over me. Joo Hee suppressed a chuckle at my bored expression as the stylist noonas tweaked my hair and dabbed make-up on my cheeks.

“Whilst you’re preoccupied,” Joo Hee said, barely hiding his smirk, “Would you like to pick the cat for the photoshoot? You have a wide choice.”

That I did. Laughing, I swept my gaze over the room and scanned the various striped, spotted and speckled felines. They prowled back and forth, making the choice difficult and just as I was about to scoop up that midnight-black kitty from before, a frenzied blur of grey and russet dashed right over my foot. I staggered backwards in surprise.

“Oh!” Joo Hee burst out laughing. “I see you’ve met our resident trouble maker!”

I followed his eyes to where the blur of color was now sitting, nonchalantly its front paw as if it had done nothing wrong. It was a small cat, barely just out of kittenhood, with black tiger-like stripes and a soft white belly. Its fur was a riveting mixture of russet brown and smoky grey. I could swear its slit eyes were full of amusement. 

“The cats don’t have names, but we all call him our little tiger.” Joo Hee picked up the cat who immediately started purring.

I stepped forwards to the chagrin of the stylist noonas who sighed and packed away their equipment, the bewitching black eyes of this little tiger drawing me in. As I stepped closer, the little cat wriggled in Joo Hee’s arms to face me. I held out on hand, foolishly feeling like I was asking a dog to play tricks, but the cat suddenly reached out with one slender paw and batted my hand.

I laughed. A baby tiger indeed.

“This one,” I declared as I its fuzzy ears. The little tiger started purring like a chainsaw. “I want this one for the photoshoot.”

Joo Hee grinned and handed the mischievous kitten over. “Are you sure?” he teased me.

“Never surer.” I replied. And I was certain about that.