Chapter 5

The Player

It was a school day again the next day. SeoEun was in her first class--Math. Good thing her first class was not with Taemin, because things were kinda awkward, after what had happened yesterday, she definitely needed to be away from him.

She needed to focus on something else, but as usual, Mr Kim started his whole lecture about algebra in his monotone voice, which wasn't actually helping her focus on class at all.

Her mind drifted away from class, and she finally settled on the blue sky outside the window. She propped her elbow on the table and rested her head on her hand, staring beyond the window, waiting for class to be over.

---------

"Hey, hyung. Have you seen Taemin? He didn't come back to the dorm yesterday." Minho asked Onew as they made their way to class.

Onew stared back at Minho, "No, i haven't seen him since yesterday, right before he stormed out of the dorm saying we were too naggy."

"Something must have happened. Again. He always disappears when he is moody." Jonghyun sighed.

"That rascal, always making us worry!  When will he ever change." Key said in his umma mode. 

"Should we go look for him after class?"

"Nah, he will come back sooner or later. He always does. "

-------------

It was second period this time- Science. We were at the laboratory. 

Damn. Taemin is in this class with me. In fact, he was in most of my classes after my first class had ended. It was going to be a long day.

I settled down at a table near the back of the lab, waiting for the rest of the students to settle down as well. My eyes were warily staring at the door, looking out for that certain person. A person after another, he was still not to be seen.

Finally, Mr Park had entered the lab as well.

"Kim Jong Dae?"

"Here."

"Park Soo Ji?"

"Present."

"Lee Tae Min?"

Silence.

"Lee Tae Min?"

Yet no response. Mr Park could only shake his head and sigh. He went on with his lessons after attendance taking.

Taemin is absent.

Phew. I let out a sigh of relief. At least I wouldn't have to face him. 

--

It wasn't just the second class, all the classes after that, Taemin was absent.

I couldn't help but admit i did feel a tinge of worry.

After all, I was the last person to see him before he disappeared.

----

I was alone at the lunch table. I rested my head on my hand as I loosely gripped onto the fork with my other, dangling it around, staring blankly at the food tray in front of me. 

"Hey, mind if we joined you?"

I tilted my head up slightly, only to have my eyes meet Onew's. My eyes widened at the sight of the 4 kingkas, SHINee.

Oh my gosh.

I immediately got up from my position and sat up right. I wordlessly nodded, really hard, my eyes widely opened and blinking from surprise.

"Thanks." They said as they sat down at my table.

Onew and Minho just slipped in beside me while Key and Jonghyun settled at the opposite side.

I was still sitting a stiff position. It was hard getting comfortable around other people, let alone popular kids. Every other girl was staring this way, at the sight of me with SHINee, oh dear. Not like being Taemin's girlfriend was bad enough.

"Soooo. Have you seen Taemin around?" Minho gave me a sideway glance while asking.

I opened my mouth, only able to manage a short, "No."

I felt guilty, because there was more than just 'No.' I saw him yesterday, in fact i think i was the last person to see him. I was most probably involved in the cause of why he disappeared. But hey, it wasn't my fault, i didn't actually do anything to drive him away. For all we could know, may be he was just playing hard to get, by trying to disappear off. 

But the look in his eyes yesterday, the fragile one, right before he left the room, it made me doubt that. 

"He's nowhere to be seen." Key sighed.

"You guys haven't seen him either?" I asked, starting to worry abit.

"Nope, but don't worry, he will appear again soon." Onew smiled, trying to reassure me. "He always runs off when he needs time alone. Say, did something happen that you know of?"

I nervously rubbed my hands together under the table. What could i say? That Taemin forced himself onto me yesterday trying to kiss me yet he stopped in his attempt and suddenly left halfway? Nope, that could never come out of my mouth. So i made something up.

"Not really, the last time i saw him yesterday.....was when he came to check on me after my dorm mate left." That was actually kinda true, in a tweaked way.

"Ah. I see." they said almost in unison.

"Hey quickly come this way, Lee Taemin has gotten into a fight!"

"Omg, let's go see."

We could hear the rattling and mumbling of the students dashing past us, towards the direction of the park.

Lee Taemin in a fight? 

"Oh no. He's gotten himself into trouble again." Onew's soft smile had changed instantly to a solemn hard expression.

"We should go check on him!" I immediately ran towards the park, leaving SHINee tagging behind. 

----------

Before I could even reach the park, I could see a crowd forming at a distance. I ran towards the crowd. Using my instincts, I pushed my way through the crowd and made it to the frontline.

There he was.

Taemin, grabbing onto the collar of what seemed to be a middle-aged man who was a school staff. The other guy had one hand on Taemin's collar while the other was balled up in a fist, ready to punch at him.

It was a tense situation as the crowd watched on.

I could see there was slight swollening and bruising on the left eye of Taemin's, meaning that the fight had already started for quite awhile.

I couldn't just stand there and watch my boyfriend get hurt. 

But actually I could, because my boyfriend was the jerk who had destroyed everything for me, Taemin.

But at that moment, he wasn't Lee Taemin.  He was a wreck, he wasn't that confident player that he usually was, he was an emotionally unstable person  that needed help. Not Lee Taemin.

So eventually...

I ran forward into the scene. Taemin's eyes had widened at my entrance. I used all my force to push Taemin away from the other guy, to prevent him from getting hit again. But the balled fist came flying into my face instead, and it sent my body flying to the ground with a loud thud.