Red Velvet

Letters, Petals and Dessert

I watched her gather her things getting ready to leave her eyes still looking down never meeting mine again. I wanted to see her eyes again so badly, even if it was just a small glimpse. I followed her figure as she made her way out of the library, leaving me behind with an unfinished sketch and a small box.

 

I reached out to the box wondering if I should open it or not but I knew I wasn’t going to leave it behind. I finally opened the small light box that hit me with the sweet aroma of chocolate brownies. My favorite…

 

The sweet scent was too tempting and mouth-watering to be ignored and I couldn’t help but have a taste. The moment it touched my lips and I tasted the sweet brownie that tingled on my tongue I felt my mind go blank, fireworks burst into my heart and butterflies flutter in my stomach. It was nothing like what I have ever tasted before; the cloudy softness was so unimaginable. It was the most delicate thing I have ever tasted, so delicate that it melted the moment it touched my lips. A piece led to the other then another until it was all gone and I was left to savor the taste that remained tingling on my tongue.

 

A small crumble caught my eye on the sketch I was drawing earlier reminding me that it was left unfinished. The incomplete yet beautiful features on the paper couldn’t be complete imperfectly… looks like I have to come back to see the owner of these beautiful features…

 

                                  _____________________________________________________________

 

I started battering the dough so fast in frustration at the man who never left my mind since last night who was he to make me feel so curious and embarrass myself? I’m probably never going to see him again … I thought as I slowed down battering not wanting too much air get into the dough and mess it up because of the stranger messing up my head.

I focused on the gooey dough as I added color slowly to reach the perfect shade of red I liked. When it came to red velvet cake I treated it like the most precious thing on earth and imperfections were prohibited. Once it was ready I put the dough in the baking pan and placed it into the oven, then I started preparing the cream cheese topping I loved so much. With nothing else to be done I grabbed a cup of coffee and sat in the balcony and let the cold morning breeze brush against my skin. I thought about the novel I was reading the previous night visualizing the details, characters and events.

The sound of the timer broke my train of thoughts signaling that the cupcakes were ready. I took out the baking pan inhaling the delicious aroma that spread around the house and swirled the topping over it. Perfection… I looked at the small cakes imagining their velvety taste but dared not to try them unless I enjoyed them with the book I’ve been waiting to get my hands back on. Sounds weird, but that was just the way I liked to enjoy my dessert. I placed the tiny cupcakes in a small box and I was ready to go the library determined to finish the book I was reading yesterday.

Again and just like every other day, I sat in the same spot. There was a reason why I chose this particular spot, want to know why? It was impossible to hear a single sound and the sun poured directly at whatever book was in front of me. Sometimes I’d sit here and the whole day would pass without me noticing.

 

Sighing contently I opened the book at the page where I stopped when the same figure that distracted me yesterday sat across me again. My eyes widened and my cheeks burned at the thought of the incident from yesterday. His hair was spiked revealing his deep black orbs completely. His eyes suddenly met mine and then he smirked casually making his face look even more handsome, if that was possible. He then pulled out the same sketch he was using yesterday and started scribbling again. I noticed he was still working on the same piece as yesterday and held back the urge to lean in closer and watch the final outcome of the sketch. I shifted my attention back to the book rereading the same line over and over again, it was really hard to focus with the sound of the scribbling since I wasn’t used to any sound while I was reading.

A small familiar box was placed in front of me; I looked at it and blinked a few times. I didn’t need to look up to see who it was from because I already knew. I opened the box to find a small post-it with the same familiar handwriting from last night.

[    Can’t get those brownies out of my mind… mind telling me where I can get more?   ]

I must have forgotten the brownies here yesterday… I blushed at the thought. I looked at the man who ate the brownies which I have forgotten behind and loved them so much. Not a lot of people have tried my desserts before and it felt good to know the stranger enjoyed it so much. At a moment like this I wished I could share my baking with more people, share the love and effort I put in every dessert and let people share with whom they cared about.

I remembered the box of red velvet I brought with me and took it out placing it between me and him and wrote at the back of the post-it he gave me earlier:

[  if I knew I wouldn’t have brought red velvet  ]

______________________________________________________________________

 

i wonder what happened between those two :o !! btw~ this chapter is dedicated to a very special friend~ i know you love brownies :3

i will go nuts if aff removes my fics again >:o