Chapter Four

† The Gate Crosser

 

I went to the playground with Jung Ae. She grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the swings. I never thought a four-year old girl like her would be that strong to pull a guy of seven years. She sat on one of the swings and started pushing herself up. I smiled and watched her eyes sparkle in joy. I’ve never seen her that happy. Maybe playing with her once in a while in this park isn’t bad. And besides, we’re still ‘young’. It’s normal for kids like us to play.

“Oppa.”

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked back at her. “Yes?”

“You don’t want to play?” she asked with a cute voice.

“I want to,” then I sat beside her and started swinging.

She giggled. “Let’s see who will go higher.”

“Sure!”

The young Jung Ae is obviously competitive. Well, that’s good. It’ll be useful when the time comes. She needs to be competitive and strong. That’s why I’m here to train her… when the time comes.

Jung Ae got tired of the swings and went to the seesaws. Since I’m a bit heavier, I always push myself down and let her stay up for a moment. And she almost cried. She told me she hates heights and I mentally took note of that.

From the seesaw, we moved to the monkey bars, I tried it first then I watched her do what I did. But she’s still weak to move on to the third bar. She fell down couple of times but she still stood up and tried. I watched her as she tried the monkey bars for the nth time. Another quality that she has is being consistent. She didn’t give up easily. She impresses me. After a few minutes, she succeeded crossing the bars. I gave her a round of applause as her reward.

An hour has passed and we’re still here at the park. They’re right. Children don’t get tired easily. Jung Ae pulled me towards the slide and we played there. It’s really nice to hear her giggle every now and then. She’s really having fun. Even though I’m already tired, I won’t spoil her day.

Then a thunder roared and the sun began to hide behind the dark clouds. It’s going to rain any moment from now. I sighed and looked at Jung Ae.

“We need to go now. It’s going to rain soon,” I said.

She pouted. “Arasso,” then she stood beside me. “Let’s go.”

We walked away from the park. Then the rain started pouring. As the Angel of Water, I let some raindrops fall on the ground instead of Jung Ae. We started running towards our house. We’re still a few more meters away from the house when Jung Ae stopped. It made me stop as well and looked at her.

 

 

Then I felt his presence.

I slowly looked at the direction of Jung Ae’s gaze. I’m right. It’s Kai. I was about to tell Jung Ae to leave but she spoke first.

“Oppa. Look at the boy there,” she said. She’s concerned at him. “Let’s help him,” then she walked towards Kai.

Kai looked up and stood up. He didn’t speak a word.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

After a few seconds, he answered. “I can’t go home. It’s raining.”

“Then come with us,” then Jung Ae looked at me. “Can he, oppa?”

I sighed and just nodded. “Sure.”

She looked back at Kai. “Our house is near here. You can stay there until the rain stops.” But Kai did not answer so, she grabbed his hand. “Let’s go,” then she ran towards the house, dragging Kai.

I sighed once more and followed them. We’re all wet when we entered the house. Mom saw us and immediately went to us.

“Omo! You’re all wet!” then she looked around, looking for some towels, I think. But she found none. “Dad! The kids are home! Bring some towels!” She looked back at us and her eyes stopped on Kai. “Who’s he?”

Jung Ae smiled at her. “Mom, oppa and I saw him outside. Let him stay here for a while, please? He said he can’t go home because of the rain.”

Mom nodded and pinched her cheek. “Aigoo. My Jung Ae is really kind,” then she looked at me and kissed my cheek. “And my Joonmyun, too.”

I pouted. I really prefer Suho than my ‘real’ name. “Mom.”

She giggled. “Wae? Joonmyun’s cute?”

Then dad came with two towels in hand. “Here are the towels,” then he gave one to Jung Ae and the other to me. And just like mom, he eyed at Kai. “This kid looks familiar. You’re Jongin, right?”

Kai nodded politely.

He nodded. “Don’t worry. I’ll bring you to your house later. I’ll just call your parents so that they won’t worry. I’ll be back,” then he headed towards his office.

I noticed how Kai shivered when the wind blew on his face. And Jung Ae noticed it, too. So, she wrapped her towel around him.

“You’re already cold, Jongin-sshi,” then she looked at mom. “Mom, he’s shivering.”

Mom nodded then looked at Kai. “Let’s go. You need to change now,” then she led him upstairs to change.

I saw how Kai looked back at Jung Ae and how she assured him by smiling. Looks like they’re going to be friends after this.

I wrapped my towel around her and smiled. “Go and change, too,” then we both went to our rooms.

 



 

The fourth chapter's up! How was it?:)

 

Comments? XD

 

 

[posted 08.13.2012]