Set You Free

Lock and Key: TaeNy short stories

 

Set You Free

 


 

 

 

 

Minutes ticked away inside the room, Yuri didn’t say a word ever since Tiffany entered the room nor did she look at her. Tiffany was no better, though she’s dying to talk to Yuri, she just can’t seem to find the courage to say something. They took turns taking secret glances at each other, in a completely different circumstance it would have looked cute but this interaction between Yuri and Tiffany is awkward and the silence between them is so thick that not even the sound of their breathing can be heard.

 

We often fool ourselves

And say that it's love

Only cause when it's gone

We end up being lonely

So how are we to know That it just isn't so

That we just have to let each other go

 

“Sorry…” Yuri monotonously said, causing Tiffany to look at her completely confounded by the sudden apology.

 

“What for? You haven’t done anything Yul…” Tiffany coyly replied, she tried to sound lively or unfazed but to her dismay the atmosphere in the room just didn’t change.

 

“Fany ah, I must have worried you… I’m sorry for causing trouble.” Tiffany raised her head hoping to meet Yuri’s gaze. Sadly Yuri seems to be staring into the abyss with a rather half blank and lifeless expression on her face.

 

“You shouldn’t drink a lot Yul; you know that nothing good comes from drinking.” Yuri couldn’t help but smile hearing Tiffany lecturing her about drinking.

 

“Fany… there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you…” Yuri paused midway she doesn’t know whether she could go through with what she wanted to say. Tiffany looked at her waiting for her to continue what she’s supposed to say.

 

“I’m kinda hungry can you get me something to eat, the food here doesn’t taste that good.” Yuri quickly changed the subject, she tried to put on a chipper face than the one she had earlier. Tiffany acquiesced with Yuri’s request, she felt happier seeing Yuri’s smile, little did she know that the smile was only a facade to hide what’s deep inside Yuri’s troubled mind.

 

“Okay… I’ll get something to eat for the three of us then.”

 

“Three of us?” Yuri asked with a puzzled look.

 

“Yeah, you know me, you and Taeyeon-ssi” Yuri impishly smiled and chuckled she slapped herself playfully after forgetting about Taeyeon. Tiffany cackled and without even thinking came closer to Yuri and pecked her lips. Her actions left Yuri momentarily dazed.

 

There were many times

When we shared precious moments

But later realized they were only stolen moments

So how are we to know that it just wasn't so?

That we just had to let each other go

 

Tiffany left the room with a cheerful smile and a hint of red plastered on her cheeks. Taeyeon was quite surprised, she expected to see Tiffany crying and upset but its completely opposite and rather odd. Taeyeon quickly went inside the room and saw Yuri cursing herself while silently crying, no doubt frustrated and upset that she didn’t have the strength to say the words she’s been planning to tell her.

 

“Taengoo…” Yuri called out after sensing Taeyeon’s presence.

 

“Let me guess you didn’t have the heart to tell her what you decided on did you?” Yuri cried harder and nodded after receiving a hug from Taeyeon.

 

“May be now’s not the time to tell her, take your time Yul. Tell her when you’re ready.” Taeyeon advised hoping to cheer her up.

 

“Taengoo… what if things are now complicated, she just kissed me…”

 

If loving you is all that means to me

When being happy is all I hope you'd be

Then loving you must mean

I really have to set you free

 

After nearly 20 minutes Tiffany returned to the room… hoping to share the food she bought with Yuri and Taeyeon.

 

“Hey Yul I came back wi—” Tiffany was stopped in her tracks when she saw Yuri sleeping soundly with Taeyeon watching over her. Her smile slowly faded and lets out a disappointed sigh.

 

“Oh Tiffany-ssi, you’re back! Yuri fell asleep waiting for you… She must have been exhausted… she’s out like a rock.” Taeyeon animatedly explained.

 

“Yeah… I guess she’s tired and needs to rest.” Tiffany concurred with what Taeyeon said as she placed the food she bought on the table.

 

Each day remains my love for you

Keeps growing stronger but every time we meet

Makes leaving you so much harder

So how are we to know that this just wasn't so?

That we just have to let each other go

 

Taeyeon continued observing Tiffany; she could see the disappointment in Tiffany’s face and what appeared to be the longing to talk to Yuri. It was unmistakable; it became clear to Taeyeon that this girl is just too much in love with Yuri.

 

“Poor Yuri, it seems this girl might not let go of her even if Yuri pushes her away.” Taeyeon thought as she watched Tiffany lean in closer to Yuri and give her a kiss on the forehead.

 

“I guess I better get going now, I’ll just come back tomorrow… Thanks for everything Taeyeon-ssi.” Tiffany excused herself, seeing that Yuri’s sleeping she found that she had no reason to stay around any longer.

 

“Neh, Tiffany-ssi, take it easy and get a good night’s rest.” Taeyeon smiled sincerely as she said good bye to Tiffany.

 

Taeyeon watched Tiffany walk out the door, the whole while Yuri only pretended to fall asleep. She just didn’t know how to deal with Tiffany after that awkward kiss. With Tiffany completely gone Yuri slowly sat up still with a gloomy face.

 

If loving you is all that means to me

When being happy is all I hope you'd be

Then loving you must mean

I really have to set you free

 

“You sure that was the best thing to do Yul?” Taeyeon asked.

 

Earlier while Tiffany was out buying food, Yuri was so troubled that she didn’t know what to do or say the moment Tiffany gets back. She thought it best to pretend that she’s sleeping so that she could avoid having an awkward conversation with Tiffany. Defeated and seeing that Yuri just won’t budge on the matter Taeyeon agreed and cover for Yuri.

 

“I know it’s not the best thing to do Taengoo…”

 

“But when Fany kissed me it just felt awkward and now it’s harder for me to tell her what I really wanted to say.” Yuri sighed as she reclined back to her bed.

 

“Yul, I suppose you bought yourself some time now, but you still have to tell her… just sort things out and tell her the truth… you might hurt her now but isn’t it better than hurting her later when she finds out the hard way.”

 

What Yuri and Taeyeon didn’t know was that Tiffany was listening; Tiffany noticed something rather odd, as she exited the room in corner of her eye she saw Yuri moving and later overheard what Taeyeon had asked Yuri as they began their conversation after she pretended to close the door. Tiffany left the door open enough so that she could still make out what they were talking about. Taeyeon and Yuri had no idea what was coming until it was too late.

 

“It’s easier said than done Taengoo, how am I suppose to tell her that I’m letting her go because I’m dying.” Tiffany couldn’t hold it in anymore after hearing what Yuri just said, she swung the door open and revealed herself.

 

“Dying?! You’re dying and you ing hide that from me?!” Tiffany painfully asked as she stepped closer to Yuri.

 

Letting go is not an easy task

When smiling feels like

I must wear this lonely mask

It hurts deep inside and I just cannot hide

That there's anguish at the thought

That we should have to part

 

“Fany…”

 

“Is this the reason why you broke up with me Yul? Answer me!” Tiffany demanded as tears continued to roll down her cheeks. Yuri didn’t know what to do, she cried as she looked at Tiffany who’s completely torn between rage and sorrow. Taeyeon stood by silently as the drama unfolds.

 

“Yes! Because I only have 12 months at best Tiffany!” Yuri couldn’t take it anymore, she finally bursts out crying as she screamed the sad fact that burdened her heart the most.

 

“Yuri… noooo… you’re… kidding right?” Tiffany shook her head in disbelief. Her knees grew weak; she found herself crying as she sat down on the cold white hospital room floor.

 

If loving you is all that means to me

When being happy is all I hope you'd be

Then loving you must mean

I really have to set you free

 

“I wanted us to be together… getting married… having kids… growing old together… I want it all, I want to have it all with you Fany ah… but I can’t! I just don’t see that happening for us! It hurts so much Fany, I want you so bad but I could never have a future with you… I have to let you go Fany… I’m sorry…”

 

Together in the stillness of the night Yuri and Tiffany cried, their hearts broken and scattered in a million pieces. Yuri and Tiffany were each other’s first love, they’ve been friends since they were kids and their whole world practically revolved around each other. Though it was never easy their love proved to be stronger causing their parents and friends to respect and support their relationship.

 

Fate has dealt them an obstacle that seems too difficult to overcome. How can anyone defy death? Is this really their fate? Is this really the end? Yuri and Tiffany just didn’t know.

 

If loving you is all that means to me

When being happy is all I hope you'd be

Then loving you must mean

I really have to set you free

 

“Taengoo, please take care of Fany, take her home… I’m sure she’s tired… she needs to rest.” Yuri wiped the last of her tears away; she looked at Taeyeon and hoped that she would Tiffany back to her condo.

 

“Come on Tiffany-ssi, let’s get you home…” Taeyeon helped Tiffany up; she didn’t put up a struggle and just silently went with Taeyeon. Tiffany looked back at Yuri as she and Taeyeon exited her room.

 

Tiffany and Taeyeon were now in the elevator, Taeyeon fished her car keys from her pocket. The elevator slowly descended towards the basement parking area. They didn’t talk and neither of them knew how to even begin talking to one another. Taeyeon didn’t want to intrude and Tiffany just didn’t feel like talking, she’s too upset to even say a word and she didn’t want to be rude to Taeyeon.

 

“Tiffany-ssi let's go?” Taeyeon asked as they stepped out of the elevator.

 

“Y-yeah...” Tiffany replied lifelessly, she tried her best to hold herself together; she didn’t want to vent her frustrations out on Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany made their way towards the blue picanto; Taeyeon helped Tiffany sit on the front seat before getting inside the car. The whole while Tiffany didn’t seem interested in talking to Taeyeon, the latter nervously glanced at Tiffany hoping that the awkward atmosphere between them would somehow dissipate.

 

“Can you give me the directions Tiffany-ssi?” Taeyeon asked as they pulled out from their parking space.

 

“Yeah… sure…” Tiffany gave Taeyeon the directions towards her condo. Taeyeon was familiar with the place since she lives down the block where Tiffany lives.

 

The ride home just like in the elevator remained silent. Tiffany kept her eyes outside the window. Though she’s looking outside, her thoughts were still with Yuri. Tonight a lot has changed, and her feelings somehow remained the same but slowly she asks herself is it alright for her to hold on? What is there to hold on to when its death that is tearing them apart?

 

Death and its finality… Yuri… these thoughts were all stuck inside her troubled mind. Soon she fell asleep; Taeyeon took a quick glance at Tiffany when she heard her shallow and steady breathing. She realized that the poor girl fell asleep with her head leaning on the window. Tears were visibly streaming down her face. Taeyeon can’t help but feel sad seeing Tiffany in such a sorry state.

 

Taeyeon saw the building right around the corner; she drove towards the Tiffany's condo and and carefully parked the car in front of the building. Taeyeon looked at Tiffany who’s still sleeping soundly.

 

“Tiffany-ssi, we’re here… we’re here already, wake up.” Taeyeon carefully nudged Tiffany’s shoulder. The latter woke up and tiredly unbuckled her seatbelt and exited the car.

 

“You’re gonna be okay right?” Taeyeon asked as she walked Tiffany towards her condo’s door.

 

“Yeah, I’ll be fine… thanks for everything.” Tiffany replied as she unlocked the door. Her tone rather cold and bitter.

 

“You wanna come inside?” Tiffany offered, Taeyeon shook her head and smiled appreciatively at Tiffany’s gesture.

 

“Thanks but it’s getting late Tiffany-ssi, I should get going now.” Taeyeon politely declined and respectfully bowed to Tiffany before excusing herself.

 

“Will you be okay? I mean it’s getting late after all… would you be alright going home at this hour?” Tiffany somewhat didn’t like the idea of Taeyeon going home by herself at such a late hour.

 

“Its fine I live just a block down from here, you don’t have to worry about anything. Besides I have car remember?” Taeyeon assured Tiffany that she’ll be okay and held up her car keys with a smile.

 

“Okay… Thanks for everything…” Tiffany politely bowed to Taeyeon after thanking her. Taeyeon could only smile and wave good bye as she watched Tiffany get inside her condo.

 

Taeyeon breathed in the cold air and lets out a heavy sigh. The night was long and certainly a lot of unexpected things happened. She rubbed her palms together and tried to generate some heat as she exited the building and walked towards her parked car. She looked at the condominium building once again and wondered if Tiffany is really okay before getting inside her car.

 


 

I hope this chapter is any good, I know it's been a little dramatic lately but that's how I intended to start off this particular story. I hope you enjoy this chapter. I had hard time finalizing it. The song I featured is Set You Free by one of my favorite bands from my country, Side A band.

 

So now you get why I entitled this "Set You Free" right?

 

Please stick around drop by and leave your comments guys and please read and subscribe! ^_^

 

-AnDroGeNie-