Act Cool

Take Your Pick

A gently swaying overhead lamp casts dim flickering yellow light in the center of this dingy room. A cockroach skitters along the ceiling and I feel the cold metal of handcuffs dig into my wrists. Typical. How much more like a drama can this get?

The officer across from me on the other side of the table is ignoring his chair in favor of standing. Damn fine, I'll admit. If he didn't choose this line of work he'd probably make a good male model. Or an idol, even. But you didn't hear that from me. Maybe if he weren't so infuriatingly attractive, I wouldn't mind being in this situation as much. But that's life.
 
A pale hand with long, slender fingers grips the edge of the table as he stares off into the distance. If he were anyone else in the police force he'd look like he could be thinking of lunch or whatever but I know better. That calculating expression and those knitted brows look like someone trying to piece something together. I don't get how complicated this whole situation could possibly be, though. This is just getting boring.
 
"Any plans to even try to get anything out of me in the next millennium? I don't have all day, you know." I speak up. A cheeky note drips into my voice and I smirk. Yes, this is an interrogation room if you haven't already gathered. And don't give me the pity face because I deserved this. I just don't usually get caught, though.
 
You see, I'm a professional pickpocket by trade. Been that way for as long as I can remember. Part of a ragtag family of sorts, different people from all sorts of different walks of life finding different ways to support each other, few legal. My specialty is the streets of Hongdae but there are a few other places I know like the back of my hand. Don't ask me how I got the job, that's classified info. And don't ask me why, either. A girl needs money and frankly I haven't got any. What about my parents? Didn't you hear me just now? Or are you just dimwitted? Fine, I'll spell it out for you. I'm an orphan. Now shut up, I'm not in the mood to give anyone a sob story. And if you try to pass me off as a modern-day Robin Hood or some other bull, nah. I don't give to the poor, but then again I don't know who the boss's clients are either.
 
Anyway, just a few hours ago I was doing the rounds, collecting my daily haul, y'know, stuff like that - I got some pretty good loot if you're interested: a brand spankin' new iPhone 4S still in the box, a few thousand grand some moron kept loose in his pocket, the works - when some incompetent idiot police rookie (who's name I overheard was Park Chanyeol or some like that) tailed me just as I rounded the corner and called me out on it. He called his boss and now here I am.
 
I remember being taken to headquarters and being asked basic questions, the same drill I've heard countless times from my peers. I'm probably the only "" in the sense of never even having seen the inside of police HQ and I'm hella proud of it. Well, until now. Boy, I am never gonna hear the end of it if I get back. When I get back. Of course I'm getting back, out of this place. Anyway, the grunt taking me to the holding cell was like "Aren't you nervous, ma'am?" and he seemed so unsettled by the fact that I wasn't crying for my mama. What, do I look weak? After my reply he walked off, shaking his head and muttering something about "kids acting cool". Like hell I'm acting cool. It's just that I know I'm getting out of here, and I know I'm gonna do it without anybody's help, so why do I need to worry?
 
Back to the present. This guy is pretty fun to annoy. "Why do we have to do this anyway? ing red tape? I mean, I've stolen loads of expensive junk for sale on the black market but I think that's a pretty simple case to figure out." He finally snaps his head in my direction. Took him long enough.
 
"Miss, I can remind you that you have the right to remain silent unless you are being interrogated." I roll my eyes. He looks like he wants to break out into a lecture about respect but he realizes his limitations and continues. "You will have to remain here for the time being until given further notice for there is an element of your case that is still being looked into." His voice is icy as the Russian tundra but I sure as hell wouldn't mind hearing it scream my name. I mean... you didn't hear anything. He swallows hard, and I watch the movement of his Adam's apple. "Miss Meng." He leans forward, real close, and I can see his badge gleam in the dim lighting. Wu Fan.
 
He's probably going to say "Be a good girl next time, okay?" "Stay on the right side of the law, young lady," "I hope to never see you here again," "Change your ways and burn in hell!" or something along those lines. I rifle through the countless different stories of getting caught I've heard from my "family".
 
"Would you like to put your talents to better use?"
 
Now that is not what I was expecting.
 
 
------
Hey everyone~ 
Here's the first chapter! Like it? Hate it? Is it sloppy? Please tell me!
 
This was also adapted from a one-shot I made so I split it into the first two chapters and it's a lot harder than I thought when suddenly you have a lot more space to go into detail than you originally did... ^^;
(Also does anyone know that song by WG (well only Lim actually)? 8D Act cool, act-act cool 
 
What do you think he means? kkk
 
Comments and subscribers are loved and constructive criticism is very much appreciated~