Kai

A Serendipitous Story

 

A/N: Before I start, I apologise because I haven't made the characters' ages clear :3

In this story, I made them all the same age to keep things simpler. So yeah, they're all 19 here. And yes, Kyungsoo and Jieun are friends from high school while Kai and Krystal's relationship is still a mystery thus far. 

And lastly, thanks for your lovely comments. I appreciate every single one of them and thanks to the subscribers too ^^

I know I'm no where near great at this, but thanks for the support you've shown me! :) I hope you'll continue to read this, and mostly enjoy reading it :D

i should probably stop talking now k yeah.

 

-EXOEXO-

 

It was lunch. Jieun sat at Kyungsoo's table. She was introduced to a couple of Kyungsoo's best buddies. There was the guy with the dazzling smile: Suho; the adorable guy: Baekhyun; the cheerful giant: Chanyeol; and the shy boy: Sehun.

Jieun could tell that they were great people. They were a bit loud, but they were fun, and really nice.

Jieun and Kyungsoo were sharing with the four boys some of their crazy high school memories together.

"Kyungsoo used to be so shy. Whenever girls talked to him, he would literally run away," Jieun said and the boys erupted into laughter.

Kyungsoo buried his face into his hands. "Why are you doing this to me, Jieun-ah?"

The boys seemed to enjoy the stories Jieun shared about Kyungsoo being awkward in high school. They all agreed that Kyungsoo had improved—though not much—since he was still a bit awkward around some girls.

"But he seems really natural around you, Jieun-ssi," Suho pointed out.

The rest of them nodded in agreement.

Kyungsoo slung an arm around Jieun's neck carelessly and flashed a toothy grin. "Jieunnie isn't a girl. She was one of my best buddies in high school, just like you guys for me now."

Jieun shot him a death glare and shook Kyungsoo's arm off her shoulders. "You , Kyungsoo," she said and stuck her tongue out cutely.

"Aww~" Baekhyun cooed, "Kyungsoo, how can you not acknowledge someone as pretty and as adorable as Jieun as a girl?"

"Baekhyun-ssi is my new best friend," Jieun stated and scooted closer towards Baekhyun, who sat on her right.

Kyungsoo only chuckled at her cute actions.

"Hey Jieun," Kyungsoo said out of the blue.

Jieun popped a grape into and blinked at him. "Hmm?"

"Do you know Kai?" Kyungsoo asked unexpectedly, "I saw you talking to him after class today."

*Kai is...dancer boy, that's right.* Jieun swallowed her grape and spoke, "I don't really know him, but I met him yesterday."

When Kyungsoo didn't say anything, she continued. "But he acted like he hadn't seen me before just now." She pouted at this.

"That's Kai for ya," Chanyeol said.

Suho joined in too, "Yeah. Kai is really bipolar like that. One minute he could be flirting away with a girl, next thing you know, he'll act like the same girl is invisible."

The others nodded to agree.

Jieun made a face at this. *I didn't know he was this type of person. But I don't know for sure yet. I can't just trust the words of others. Maybe he may seem that way, but they may not know him well enough. There could possibly be a reason behind his acting like that.* She was intrigued by Kai now. She knew she just had to find out for sure what type of person he really was.

"But there's one girl Kai would never do what he does to other girls to," Kyungsoo added.

"Who?" Jieun asked, curious to know the answer.

"Krystal Jung," Kyungsoo answered, "Kai and Krystal have been best friends since they were in diapers. Kai trusts that girl with his life. I think that they're secretly in love with each other, but that's just my theory. Why else would he treat her differently from other girls?"

 

Jieun excused herself from the table twenty minutes before the end of the lunch hour. She wanted to explore the school by herself. She promised Kyungsoo that she wouldn't get lost this time, and that if in case she lost her war, she would call him for help.

Somehow, Jieun's legs brought her to the quieter part of the school. There were hardly students spending their lunch here. There were a couple of students studying alone here and there, but that was all.

Jieun was walking around the campus garden and admiring its beauty. *This would be the perfect place to study,* she thought, *It's so peaceful and you would less likely be distracted by the loud chatter of other students.*

Jieun approached the fountain, that was situated in the heart of the garden. She spotted someone—a boy—lying on his back, on the bench in front of the fountain. 

Jieun walked closer, and her eyes rounded in recognition. "Kai!" she called out excitedly.

Kai's eyes fluttered open and he sat up, rubbing his eyes. He squinted to identify the person that had just interrupted his lovely midday nap. It was her. The new girl.

Jieun skipped towards him excitedly. "Annyeong, Kai-ssi, can I sit down?"

Kai nodded groggily. He was still half awake.

Happy that he had allowed her to join him, Jieun sat down next to him on the stone bench, leaving a fair distance between her and Kai.

"Kai-ssi, I was really happy when I found out you were in my class today. That's because you're a really good dancer and I really want to learn from you," Jieun said, striking up a casual conversation.

Kai was almost fully awake now. "Do you dance?" he asked.

Jieun shook her head vigorously and laughed. "I can't dance to save my life."

Kai's forehead creased. "Then how the hell did you get a scholarship here?"

*How does he know I got a scholarship here?* "How did you-"

"Krystal told me," Kai replied, as if reading her mind.

"How does she know?"

Kai shrugged. "Krystal knows everything."

Jieun's lips formed a small 'o' shape. "Krystal-ssi is really pretty. Even though I'm a girl, I couldn't stop staring at her in class today," Jieun confessed.

Kai smiled at this. "She is really pretty, huh?"

Jieun nodded. "And she's really good at singing too. Ah, I'm so jealous~"

"You should be," Kai said in a teasing manner.

Jieun stuck his tongue out at him playfully. She suddenly remembered what Kyungsoo had told her just ten minutes ago. "Kai and Krystal have been best friends since they were in diapers. Kai trusts that girl with his life. I think that they're secretly in love with each other, but that's just my theory. Why else would he treat her differently from other girls?" 

Out of curiousity, Jieun asked, "Kai-ssi, are you in love with Krystal-ssi? And does she feel the same way about you?"

It was silent for a few seconds. Jieun thought that Kai was mentally preparing to pour out all his feelings for his best friend that he had kept buried in his heart all this while to her. 

After a few seconds though, Kai shook his head. "We're just best friends," he stated.

"Are you sure though?" Jieun wasn't very convinced. "The both of you sound very close. I would think it would be impossible not to fall in love with Krystal. She seems so...perfect. The same with you."

Kai's plump lips twisted sideways into a smirk. "You think I'm perfect?" He was truly curious to hear her answer, but he was mostly teasing her.

Jieun was blushing madly now. She hadn't planned to blurt out something like that. It just slipped out of . She turned away so he wouldn't see her crimson cheeks.

Kai's smirk grew wider and he shifted closer to Jieun. "Do you by any chance, have a crush on me?" he asked boldly.

Jieun gaped. *He-he-he thinks I like him!?* "Yah, does that even make sense? I've only known you for two days! How can I like you after only knowing you for such a short period of time?" Jieun turned her head back to face Kai again and her eyes widened in surprise when she saw his face only inches away from hers. She gulped.

Kai noticed her reaction and smirked. "You don't believe in love at first sight?" he asked in a dangerously low voice.

Jieun realised what he was doing and shoved him in the chest. She moved farther away from him until they were at a comfortable distance again. "I don't get you," Jieun said finally.

Kai laughed and spoke, "What don't you get about me?"

"This morning in class, when I tried to talk to you, you actedd as though you've never seen me before in your life. But yesterday when I first met you at the dance studio, and now even," Jieun struggled to put her thoughts into words, "you're like this..."

"Like what?"

"This."

"What's this?"

"You know..." Jieun shook her head, "Nevermind. Forget what I said. I'll figure you out one day, Kai-ssi."

Kai smiled at this. This girl was definitely unusual.

A few silent minutes passed. Jieun found that the lull between them had suddenly become very awkward, but Kai didn't seem to think so. He was just watching everything around him, enjoying the silence. 

Finally though, Kai broke the silence, "So what's your talent?"