04 A Bedtime Drama

Strive to Exist

As dusk started to close in, a fire was lit on the shore where the tides gently brushed against. Hyesu was introduced to their eleven new comrades. She easily remembered all their faces at ease – thanks to her graphic memory which never failed.

 

A palaver was going on. Suho had occasionally attempt to start up a polite conversation with Hyesu – without success; Baekhyun and Chanyeol would ease the awkwardness with their witty jokes – futile as Hyesu confirm her non-amusement; Chen posturing his unmistakable disapproving – clearly he had taken an instant dislike on Hyesu who appeared indifferent towards EXO’s aid.

 

As Kyungsoo went on with his ludicrous encounter with a teensy-weensy insect, Hyesu shot up on her feet and stomped off in the direction of the woods. Forget about courtesies, she was in no mood of making new friends or entertaining empty talks in which she, in no way, saw any potential in rescuing the entire population of her kingdom, which would have been wiped out by now.

 

She could hear the rustles of dried leaves scattered along the path behind her; she did not bother to turn around, Kris would keep her in sight anyway. She continued her path, striding deeper into the trackless jungle, until a stream forcefully halted her. Stagnant it may be, she never knew how to swim. Frustrated, Hyesu had no alternative but to retreat to a maple tree by the bank and sat down next to it, hugging herself as she registered the surrounding coldness.

 

Hyesu kept her eyes on the ground as she felt Kris cuddled her from behind and soothingly patted her arm, “Hey.”

 

She bit her lower lip as a reply. Kris sighed at the cold treatment he was given, decided that he couldn’t do anything about it and picked her up without bothering to seek for permission. He then flew upwards and landed on a low branch of the maple tree, with Hyesu secured in his arms.

 

Kris gently laid her down and shifted her into a comfortable position. After that, he kissed her on the forehead and turned to jump off the branch. It was non-verbal, but she clearly knew that it was a goodnight kiss. Reluctant to be left alone in the dark, she reached out and lightly tugged on the sleeve of his shirt, and with that, Kris was caught mid-air between the jump and the tug.

 

“Snap!” Kris tripped over and awkwardly hung upside down from the tree, slightly swaying sideways in the cold night breeze. Hyesu gasped and sat upright to have a better view of Kris but felt extremely vulnerable in her attempt to aid him for she dared not shorten the distance between them for too much, fearing the tree branch which threatened to snap – exactly the one Kris was hanging from.

 

“It’s-it’s alright, princess. I’ll manage.” Kris stuttered, as unconvincingly as he could sound.

 

He grunted in frustration as he endeavored to struggle himself free as he could not fly when his legs were stuck. After rounds of attempt, Kris felt relieved that his legs was branch-free, that was before he realized that he was going to ineptly fall to the ground. The initially peaceful night was ruptured by both Kris and Hyesu’s shriek, and was restored as Kris froze mid-air.

 

Bewildered, Hyesu searched in the dark for any sign of movement, she then saw Luhan striding into view from the sea of darkness, childishly grinning with his hands in his pockets. He approached Kris and playfully tickled him on the stomach, causing the latter to go into a hysterical laugh and threatened to strangle the attacker.

 

Luhan then looked up to Hyesu and shot her a wink, “I believe princess here would like to see how I catch my heroine from falling?” causing Hyesu to fail in holding her laughter and Kris to hiss at Luhan in annoyance.

 

Not delaying any further for it was nearly bed time, Luhan released his mental grip on Kris and used telekinesis to move him downwards. Before Kris could roughly land on the forest ground, Luhan dramatically caught him in his arms and gently brushed Kris’ blond hair out of his eyes, “Watch your step, my lady~”

 

Hyesu heartily laughed, amused at Luhan’s humor, but immediately suppressed her laughter by coughing when Kris shoved Luhan off him and turned to glare at her.

 

“Awn, mama Kris says it’s time for bed! No more playing around!” Luhan faked a sad pout and ran away before Kris could get back at him.

 

Kris rolled his eyes and flew up the tree Hyesu was in, he then laid her head down on his lap and her hair until she dozed off…

 

“Don’t leave me alone with the wild animals, please?” He heard Hyesu softly muttered and smiled.