A Chance Encounter

A Chance Encounter

Baekhyun stood impatiently in the line along with the rest of his fellow EXO members. It was late afternoon, and the temperature seemed to be getting cooler as he and the other tourists waiting in the Space Mountain line moved forward.

Baekhyun watched Chanyeol and D.O. - who were in front of him as he was behind all s - chatting casually about the amount of fans they were surprised to meet at Disneyland. “I never thought so many people would know who we are,” he heard D.O. comment. Chanyeol nodded with a grin. “Just a few months after our debut and we’re already known. It still amazes me.” Their conversation came to a halt as they were finally ushered inside the ride’s building.

EXO watched as other people in front of them got off the ride still shaking, but smiling. With his limited English, Baekhyun caught a few words from a group of teenagers a little younger than him. “…awesome! Let’s ride it again!” Grinning, he turned forward, eager to get on the ride. Around him, his fellow members were arguing about who would sit next to who. On each ride they decided to switch up the partners, since there were 12 of them and it would be boring sitting next to the same person the whole day.

“Baekhyun!” he turned to see Luhan by his side. “Tao went on the car that just left since there was a space open and he was next in line. Kris says that since we’re uneven with Tao not here, one of us needs to sit next to a stranger.”

“Oh okay,” Baekhyun nodded. “I’m assuming the guys nominated me? That’s why you’re telling me this, right?”

Luhan scratched the back of his head and gave an apologetic smile. “Well you were behind all of us, so it was sort of inevitable. If you don’t want to we can switch, you can sit next to Chen instead.”

Baekhyun laughed and shook his head. “I don’t mind.” The two walked forward as the line moved, and soon enough the remaining eleven members of EXO were in front of the line, waiting to get on the ride. Baekhyun watched as s paired up one by one and sat down on the ride. Finally, it was his turn and he eagerly sat on the left side of the seat.

As he trembled in excitement he heard a soft movement to his right, and he turned his head to see a girl his age sitting next to him. Baekhyun watched as she pulled down the safety bar and glance up at him. The girl offered him a shy smile as the ride lady came up to their car and started talking. Baekhyun watched her, confused at her words. When she stopped talking and walked back to her post, Baekhyun was about to call out to one of s to ask what the lady was saying when the girl next to him spoke. “She said that the ride lights are temporarily malfunctioning so we have to wait here for a few minutes,” the girl explained in Korean with a soft voice.

Baekhyun widened his eyes at her. “You speak Korean?”

The girl pushed some of her brown wavy hair behind her ear and nodded. “I’m Korean.”

“Oh.” Baekhyun tilted his head to the right. “You don’t happen to know who I am, do you?” he asked, pointing to himself. He was a bit wary of her. If she was a fangirl, it was bad that she was sitting right next to her idol. Especially if she was one of those possessive ones, Baekhyun thought with a mental shudder.

“I know who you are,” the girl offered with a blink. Suddenly she gaped, and nervously said, “Ah, I apologize if you didn’t want to sit next to me. I didn’t even realize I was going to sit here and I should have waited for the next car—”

“No, it’s fine.” Baekhyun shook his head with a small laugh. “I was just wondering if you were a fangirl or something.”

The girl gaped in understanding. “Oh, I see. Well I’ve heard your songs, but I don’t think I’d qualify as a fan yet, let alone a fangirl. I only recognize you because I like your voice,” she explained shyly. “I suppose I should feel star struck or something but I’m not really that type of person.” She laughed lightly.

“Huh, this is a first. So far the fans that I’ve met here at Disneyland are the die-hard fangirls who’ve been stalking me around the whole day trying to discretely take pictures of me and EXO. They’d probably be screaming for a chance to sit next to me,” Baekhyun smirked teasingly.

“Well you must be lucky that I’m not screaming “Baekhyun-oppaaaaaaa I love you, please marry me!” and crying tears of joy while holding onto your shirt dramatically,” the girl replied with a grin. “I think earlier I saw some fangirl desperately reaching out to one of your members, the one from EXO-M.”

“Oh, I remember that,” Baekhyun snorted amusingly. “That member’s name is Xiu Min.” Eyeing the brown haired girl beside him, he asked, “Speaking of names, I never got yours.”

“Park Hara,” she replied.

“Well, Hara-ssi, nice to meet you.” Hara laughed.

“Hey, Baekhyun-ssi, you’re supposed to say that when you first meet a person, not in the middle of a conversation!”

“Oops.” As the two laughed, Baekhyun sneaked his hand into Hara’s bag and pulled out her phone. The ride lady came again and as she spoke, Baekhyun quickly entered his number and sent his own phone a text message with her number before putting the phone back into the bag, unnoticed by Hara.

“The lady apologizes for the inconvenience and says the ride will be starting soon,” Hara translated.

“Thanks,” Baekhyun smiled. Hara smiled back sweetly, and Baekhyun could feel his cheeks heat up. They had just met and he was already feeling something for her. Baekhyun wasn’t sure of a lot of things, but he knew he liked her smile, her wit, and the fact she was the first stranger in a long time that treated him not as a famous idol, but as a person.

Fortunately, the ride moved forward with a jolt and Hara failed to notice Baekhyun’s rosy blush as she instead grabbed the handlebar tightly and looked straight ahead. “Finally~ You ready?” she asked him with an excited grin. He grinned back and nodded. Soon, their car shot forward rapidly, and they plunged into darkness as the ride twisted and turned quickly. Everyone was screaming; the ride was exhilarating. The impact caused Hara and Baekhyun to bump into each other frequently, until Baekhyun grabbed Hara’s arm and pulled her closer to him.

Heart beating fast, Hara felt the warmth of Baekhyun’s hand wrap around her arm. As they were so close, they stopped bumping into each other, and they both stopped trembling in both fear and excitement as a sense of safety washed over them.

Finally the ride came to an end, and the two shakily stepped out of the car and walked to the exit where their ride pictures were being displayed. “Ah~ That was fun!” Baekhyun exclaimed. Hara quickly found their picture and laughed at her and Baekhyun’s outrageous expressions. Baekhyun laughed along and snapped pictures with his phone. Then he swung his shoulder around Hara and pointed the phone at them. “Let’s take a picture!”

The two smiled and held up peace signs. Then Baekhyun’s phone buzzed, and he quickly glanced at it. “It’s a text from Suho-hyung, their ride finished a few minutes before ours so they’re waiting for me.” He chuckled. “But I still have a few minutes, since some of my members are taking a bathroom break.”

Hara had her own phone out and finished taking pictures of their ride snapshots. “Oh Hara-ssi,” Baekhyun said, “Where do you live?”

Turning back to Baekhyun, she replied, “Seoul, a few blocks from the SM building I believe. I’m only here to visit some relatives before I go back in a few days. Why?”

Baekhyun just gave Hara a wink. “Let’s hang out sometime then!” He looked up and saw Sehun and Lay near the exit of the building. “I gotta go, I can see them waiting for me. I’ll text you later!” He gave Hara a smile before running off to s.

Hara waved, then realized, “Wait, Baekhyun-ssi! You don’t have my number!” He just turned around and gave her a salute and a grin before disappearing into the crowd. With a pout, Hara sat on the nearest bench and was about to pull out her wallet to buy food when her phone buzzed.

Opening it, she found a new text message with the picture she took with Baekhyun attached.

From: Baekhyun-oppaaaaa
I forgot to ask, did you have fun hanging out with me? ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Laughing, Hara typed out her reply. On the other side of the building, Baekhyun opened his phone. Reading the message, he grinned.

From: Hara-ssi
Of course! Also, be careful, I think you gained a new fan in the process~ (^O^☆♪