Her Melody

Her Melody

 

     She watched him from afar as he sat a few tables away from her laughing with his friends. She always kept herself away from others, her nose always in a book but every time he was around, she couldn’t help but look at him. She was the one who people went to when they needed help with homework or anything else school related. She was the good little school girl. And he, you guessed it, was the bad boy.

     She noticed him look at her and was startled when he gave her a slight smile. She looked away quickly, getting back into her book. Of course, she couldn’t read anymore. Her heart was pumping fast at the sudden eye contact; her mind racing with pictures of that smile. She hated that she was so infatuated by him. She hated when guys dyed their hair and yet his blue-dyed hair made her heart leap. Everything he did was perfect; every move he made was golden.

     The last bell rang; she quickly gathered her belongings and walked out the classroom, hoping to not bump into anyone who, she knew, would ask her to “be a good friend and let them copy the homework tomorrow.”

     She reached home and walked in quickly, saying a quick hello to her parents before running to her room. It was where she felt safest, where she, ironically, felt free. She sat in front of her keyboard piano and let her fingers run over the keys before a melody came out. It always happened like this. He would do something in school and the moment she was home, her emotions came out as notes. Her thoughts came out as melodies. This was her freedom, the music she was able to play. The only place she felt comfortable doing so. Only when there was no one around; no one listening.

     A knock on her door interrupted her and she quickly stopped.

     “Yeah?” she called, knowing it was her mother from the way she had knocked.

     “Seunghyun’s at the door for you. He says he needs to give you something,” she said.

      Her heart felt like it was in . Why was he at her house? What could he possibly have to give to her? She never realized how fast she could get from her room to the front door and the moment she was there, she felt stupid for looking so flushed from her rushing.

     He smiled at her and held out a book. Her book.

     “You left this in class. I thought you might want it back,” he handed it to her, still smiling at the look on her face.

     “T-thanks,” she stuttered out, taking the book from him and hugging it to her chest, not knowing what else to do. She looked around and then glanced up at him, seeing that his smile was still on his face. Her heart fluttered and she felt her cheeks burning as she quickly looked away to hide her cheeks with her hair.

     “You know, you should join the music club. Your piano playing is amazing. We could collaborate one day: you play, I rap,” her eyes widened as she looked at him, not knowing if he was kidding or being serious. She began to stutter again and mentally slapped herself for looking like an idiot in front of him.

     “I’m not forcing you, just think about it,” he chuckled before he gently ruffled the side of her head, causing her cheeks to go redder than before. “See you tomorrow,” he said and let his hand graze down the side of her face before he turned and walked away.

     She watched as he walked to the house next door and before he walked in, she saw him turn to her and smile. She quickly walked inside her house and closed the door, still hugging the book tightly to her chest.

     Choi Seunghyun, her neighbor, was the man she was in love with.

     She let a small smile come on to her lips before she walked to her room and sat at her piano again. She placed the book on top of the piano and while looking at it, another melody began. Her window was open and this time, she wished he was listening.

     And maybe one day she’d have the courage to tell him that it was all for him.