Epilogue

Helix II

 

The rain covered the tears in his eyes that he wouldn’t set free. It was always raining when he was here on this day. This one day in the middle of the spring which he had never really thought about before until six years ago when it had become so utterly important.

He sniffed and bowed down to place the white wreath of roses and lilies next to the small grey stones. His eyes briefly read the name on the right one, Choi Minhee. Then he looked at the stone on the left, newer and with the name of the poor girl’s brother engraved into the marble.

Choi Minki.

Every year he thought that the stone didn’t do him any justice. It didn’t tell of his sweet smile, of how he had bitten his lip when he got nervous, of his soft white hair and the way it swayed on the wind…

He took a deep breath and wiped his eyes. Then he rose from his crouched position on the ground and stepped back in between his two friends. None of them said anything for a minute, they just stared at the small graves while the rain soaked them, but they didn’t care.

After a long time in silence Jonghyun had to wipe his eyes again and Minhyun turned his head to him, looking at him in pity.

“It’s been six years” he whispered soothingly. “Do you think he’s happy where he is now?”
Jonghyun nodded and a vague smile burst onto his lips.

“He’s with his sister now. I think he’s happy. But it’s just so hard to let go of him…”

He swallowed a sob and clenched his hands a few times, feeling the small ring slip a bit on his wet fingers.

Aron looked at him, too, tilting his head slightly.

“You just have to remember him while smiling instead. I don’t think he would have wanted you to cry over his memory like this…”
With a wider smile Jonghyun shook his head.

“You’re right”. He placed one arm around each of his friends and with a last look over his shoulder and a whispered “I miss you”, he started to lead the way back to Aron’s car. “But you know what he would have wanted? He would have wanted to go to that café with the blue tables and have bubble tea on my account”.