The Actual Story

Overcoming Fears

 

“Hyung, hurry up!” Se Hun shouted as he jumped down the car and looked back at the sluggish Lu Han.

“Sorry, sorry…tell me again why we’re going to a haunted house in the bright morning?” Lu Han responded, finally getting off the van and shutting the door closed behind him.

“Because no one goes to a haunted house in the morning,” Se Hun told him, quickly taking his hand and running to the entrance.

Lu Han carefully pondered Se Hun's answer for a minute before concluding that the maknae's answer made absolutely no sense, which was exactly a Se Hun sort of answer. He shook his head before allowing himself to be dragged away.

The two reached the entrance, where a small line of people were waiting outside. The ticket booth was empty. Apparently, they were running a little bit late. The two immediately pulled down their caps lower and avoided eye contact with anyone.

As they found their way to the back of the line, Lu Han could feel his thumping heart beating faster and faster. He closed his eyes, breathing deeply and telling himself he could do it.

“Hyung?”

Lu Han opened his eyes at the sound of Se Hun’s voice and he turned around, an automatic smile on his lips. “Yes?”

“What’s wrong?” Se Hun asked blatantly.

Lu Han’s smile faltered a little. “Wh…what are you talking about, Hunnie?”

Se Hun sighed, eyeing Lu han squirming. “Hyung, I’ve been watching you. You’ve been fidgety all morning. Tell me what’s wrong.”

Lu Han stayed silent, wondering if he should tell Se Hun.

“Hyung…is it the haunted house? Because we really don’t have to go in if you don’t want to,” Se Hun placed a gentle hand on Lu Han’s shoulder.

Lu Han smiled a little at the maknae’s attempt to make him feel better. “Ani, Se Hun…it’s just…”

Se Hun looked up at him expectantly, waiting for him to go on.

Seeing his dongsaeng’s worried look, Lu Han decided to spill the beans about everything.

“All right. You...you sure you want to know?"

Se Hun nodded. "I'll help you with whatever it is hyung...just tell me."

Lu Han smiled gratefully. "Okay then. When…when I was younger I went to a Halloween carnival. You know, the ones that you go to every year even though they’re the silliest things ever?”

Seeing Se Hun’s enthusiastic nod, Lu Han felt more encouraged to go on. “Yeah, well we went to one near my house, and it wasn’t that big, right? But…but they had this pretty impressive haunted house. And, well I decided to go in for fun. I was so excited…it was my first haunted house ever. So anyways, I entered the house after waiting for nearly thirty minutes, and it…there were the usual stuff: ghosts, vampires, etc. Which was fine. But then, all the lights went off. Like all of them. And it was really quiet. I remember thinking why there wasn’t any screaming…but I was kinda preoccupied. So I stood still, waiting for an announcement or an or something to help me right? Well, nothing came. So I stood in the dark for about twenty minutes with spooky noises coming from all around me. That’s when I started to panic.”

All this time, Se Hun had been listening carefully, taking in everything Lu Han was saying. Knowing that the story was reaching its , he reached over and grabbed Lu Han’s hand in his, squeezing it for support.

“The…the voices started closing in. Like…I don’t know. They just felt closer. And then…and then they started whispering my name. From all over the room, I could hear voices whispering my name, saying things like they were coming for me…or that they could see me, or something like that. I…after five minutes of that, I felt like I was losing my mind. I mean, being in the dark for twenty minutes, and then having creepy voices whisper my name just scared the heck out of me. I started to shout and scream, yelling at the top of my voice. But...but that wasn't even the worst part....”