Chapter 1

Love of the Kkangpae

   I stare at the dark eyes of Micky as he looks intently at the frightened man in front of him. As he takes one step forward, the man takes one clumsy step backwards. Micky tilts his head and gives an amused smile. He reaches into his pocket slowly, causing the man to begin to shake even more with fear. Ad the top of the gun becomes visible, the horrified man drops to his knees and begs for forgiveness. I probably would have forgiven him by the way he was acting. Too bad Micky isn't the forgiving type.

   When the gun is fully out of Micky's pocket and pointed at the man, he begins to pray with trembling hands. Micky begins to laugh hysterically causing everyone around him to shiver. Then, he suddenly stops causing it to get so silent that only the sound of dripping water and whispering prayers coming from the bloody man can be heard.

   "You think God can save you now?" Micky growls, creating a loud echo throughout the ally.

  Not even a second later, a gunshot is heard and the battered man falls onto the puddle filled ground.

  I close my eyes giving a small prayer for the man who just got it bad in life.

  "U-know, Eunjae," Micky calls with heavy angry breaths, "Put the body in the dumpster."

   I walk over to the body feeling pity for the young guy. Barely over 20 and already having to go through death. Eunjae and I pick up the dumpster as Micky says

   .The abused body falls into the piles of trash, soon to be attacked and picked at by rodents.

   "Micky really tore that guy up," Eunjae chuckles.

  "Yeah...," I mumble in agreement.

  Eunjae seems to enjoy this work as much as Micky and the rest of the gang. I think I'm the only one who can't stand the sight of blood and helpless people. Men, women, even children. Micky pities nobody.

  As we walk towards Micky's car, I begin to feel sick.

   Eunjae turns towards me.

  "You okay?" he asks me with an only slightly concerned tone.

  "Yeah, I'm okay..." I lie, beginning to feel even more sick. "Hey, tell Micky I'll be there in a second. I forgot something back there." I bite my lip trying to holdback the churning feeling in my stomach.

   "Kay dude. Hurry up though," he says rolling his eyes.

   He walks away, both hands in his pockets.

   As soon as he walks out of the ally, I run to a lone trash can and empty my stomach. Every time someone dies, I get sick to the stomach. Whenever we have to clean up the body, it's worse. Money is the only reason I deal with always getting sick. As long as I can take care of Changmin, I'll do anything. This was my only choice.

   Money? None.

  College? None.

   I couldn't even go to the performing arts school I wanted to go to. When I was younger, I always wanted to

chance. But after my parents death, everything changed. I had to take care of my younger brother all alone because

nobody in my family would take us in. Our parents weren't really loved on either side of the family. They ran away

at only 16 to live their own life together and disobeyed their parents. Ever since then, their parents didn't accept

them. So, when Changmin and I were born, we were thought of as a disgrace to the family.

    I cringe at the nasty taste in my mouth. As I stand up straight, I hear a noise. I turn my head to the left to see a

man standing at the end of the ally. His face isn't visible in the faint moonlight.

   "Yah! Who are you?" I yell to him.

   He immediately begins to run away at the sound of my voice.

   "What the hell?" I think to myself.

   I turn in the opposite direction of the where the man was standing and walk to Micky's car.

  As I walk towards the car, the man continues to cross my mind, Did he see anything? .

  When I reach the car, Micky's rarely changing emotionless expression is facing me.

  "Next time do what you need to do faster U-Know. There is someone I need to see when I get back," Micky tells me.

   I give an apologetic bow and get in the driver's seat.

  As we drive back to Micky's apartment, I look into the mirror to see Micky beginning to get anxious.

  Eunjae turns towards him and Micky's anxious state immediately switches to his normal emotionless state.

  He stays that way until we arrive at his house. Right after I park the car, Micky quickly gets out and races up to his  

house. Eunjae and I exchange glances and walk up to Micky's apartment.

  When we get to the door, Eunjae turns towards me.

   "Time to see what was getting Micky so anxious."

  He opens the door to the small dimly lit apartment and the first thing that catches our sight is Micky facing a man

with raven black hair up in a short pony tail.

  The thing that surprised both of us, was that Micky was actually.... smiling

  Micky's attention is turned to us, but his smile doesn't disappear.

   "Ah, Eunjae-yah, U-Know There is someone I want you to meet."

   The man turns around to show a face of delicate features with large doe eyes and full perfect lips.

  My mind goes fuzzy and a pounding feeling begins in my chest.

   "This is Hero. He's going to be joining our gang," Micky says looking at the beauty of a man.

  How can such a delicate man do jobs we do?

   "He'll be sticking with me though, but not always...." Micky says, looking at us with a look of 'please don't say

anything.'

   "I'm Eunjae. Nice to meet you," Eunjae says with a small bow. Hero bows back with a small smile.

  When all the attention is turned to me, I give a little introduction and bow. He stares at me with a look of curiosity

then bows back to me.

  At that moment I had made another goal in life, other than taking good care of Changmin until he can fully fend for

himself.

  At that moment, I made a goal to get close to this interesting beauty, Hero <3