CHAPTER 1

Letters At War

Eunji wrapped the pen carefully, making sure it couldn’t fall out. She shook it slightly and gave herself a look of self-pleasure, before changing her expression back to its listless state. She sighed. It was quite ironic how everything seemed to matter so much now; even a small measly pen. And to think Tao would go around, poking them in the grass, pretending it was a goal post.

Of course, such ‘luxuries’ were of no more. The five year old could no longer curl up in the dahlias in deep sleep, although waking up occasionally to let out a sneeze. It would then tempt Eunji to squeeze his pouting cheeks, which would then lead to a scowl and a small slap on the hand.

“Stop it!” he would say, before sneezing another few times, before storming into the small cottage above the hill, Eunji following closely behind in long strides.

Then, she’d most likely find Luhan working his magic behind the stove. She was never a good cook; Luhan was the exact opposite.

“Taste,” he’d say, and then hold up the spoon to her lips. Eunji would sip it slowly and give him a thumbs up before rushing to Tao’s side, making sure that he wasn’t doing anything that five year olds would do.

“Can’t keep up with him,” she laughed. “I’ll be back – I’ll send him back to Kris’.”

Luhan would nod, Eunji giving him a quick peck on the cheek.

Then she would walk a few minutes, Tao in arm, to find Kris working in the garden, pulling out a few weeds. They would exchange greetings and perhaps have small chat before Eunji would suddenly stand up and say that Luhan was expecting her back home.

The last time she visited him, they were talking about the upcoming wedding, Luhan and hers. She gave him a small piece of paper before claiming that Luhan would get jealous if she stayed any longer.

Now, Eunji couldn’t visit Kris anymore either. She sighed before putting the package into Luhan’s satchel with a few sheets of old paper. She heard a throat clear behind her and turned around to see Luhan smiling positively at her.

Eunji couldn’t take it anymore. The tears fell slowly, wetting her face. She wiped them furiously.

“I’m sorry. I just – can’t let you go. Don’t leave.”

Luhan let out a half-hearted laugh.

“He’ll kill us all then.”

“Don’t say that.”

Luhan walked closer and with his finger, he wiped her face, resting it on her cheek. He closed his eyes; lips parted slightly and leaned in. Eunji followed. A few seconds passed before they felt their lips pass each other’s. They lingered, just enjoying each other’s presence. They pulled away, just to find Kris clicking his tongue in the doorway.

“Tao’s only five, you .” He removed his hands from in front of Tao’s eyes and scoffed at the two. “Live to make me jealous – just because I haven’t got a girlfriend.”

“You’re gay though,” Luhan said sarcastically.

“Shut up.” Kris sat himself down. “Ready for the big action tomorrow? Calm down miss, we’re not going down without a fight,” he said after seeing Eunji’s expression.

----

Eunji woke up the next morning, dreading what would happen. She turned around to face Luhan and kissed him, waking him up too.

“Don’t do that. Morning breath,” Luhan groaned. Eunji sighed and he wrapped her arms around her. “I’ll be back soon. Just take care of Tao or Kris is going to have a fit.” He her hair gently and kissed her forehead.

“I love you.”

----

“Luhan!” Eunji couldn’t help but cry after separating her fingertips with her fiancé. Her heart began to beat uncontrollably in worry, but it was opposed by Luhan’s face, smiling back at her and giving her a cool wave, assuring her everything would be fine and he’d come home safely.

“I’ll be ok,” Luhan mouthed, before he was out of sight.

“Come home safely.” Eunji whispered to herself, feeling her legs shake underneath her. “I love you Luhan oppa. You must come home safely.”

Eunji walked home in tears. She led Tao by the arm, who was whining from Kris. But he was only 5 – he’d never understand.