As The Days Pass

And So We Go (From the Sidelines)

“Mom? MOM?” Hana yelled, bursting through the door of the family mansion. “WHERE ARE YOU?!”

All she heard was silence. A cold, eerie silence had completely washed through the Choi residence.

Hana refused to think of the worst. “M-Mom?”

She raced into the family room and screamed.

Her father was holding a beer bottle in his left hand, and a kitchen knife in the other. Mr. Choi was facing his distraught wife, with blank eyes.

“MOM!” Hana ran to put herself between her father and her mother. She dialed the police while she ran.

“Wha- what are you doing … here…” Mr. Choi yelled boisterously, drunk as drunk could be. He took a step closer, getting right into his daughters face. Hana could smell the liquor and cigar smell emanating from him. “Get outta here and I might not hur-”

Hana closed her eyes and waited for the end. So this is how the world ends for me… not with a bang but a whimper…

“HA!” Mrs. Choi screamed, placing a perfectly aimed side kick right at her husbands gut.

“Mama?!” Hana gasped. Her mom wasn’t the least bit injured, but if she was, she didn’t show it.

Mrs. Choi read her daughters face and embraced her into a hug. “I guess all those lessons were worth it…”

The police barged in at that moment and then looked at the drunken man sprawled on the floor.

“Grab him!” an officer commanded while walking over to the mother and daughter. “Secure the area. He might have accomplices, whatever, just get it done.” He then turned to the mother.

“M’am, I’d suggest you’d come with us to the police station so you can file in a report.”

“O-of course. J-just…” she looked at the unconscious man in her living room and shuddered. “…G-get that monster out of my sight.”

===============================================================================================================

“M’am, we’ll be pressing charges for attempted assault, among other things…” The lawyer shook his head, disgusted as he shifted through his files.

“Other things?” Hana asked curiously.

“It seems like he wasn’t running the most legitimate company you thought he was,” the lawyer explained. “Police has identified him to be one of the notorious members of a local smuggling group, charged with human trafficking, drug dealing, kidnapping… they suspect foul play and bribes… the list goes on and on.”

Mrs. Choi frowned. “What will happen to our shares? Our money? Will we be in debt?”

“Fortunately for you, you will not be in debt. All his money should be transferred to your accounts if the judge decides to pass the sentence. But he has no reason why he wouldn’t, so Mrs. Choi, Miss Choi, you’re about to get substantially richer.”

The two women’s eyes widened. “Thank you Mr. Kwon. We appreciate your help.”

“You and your daughter are free to leave,” Mr. Kwon offered. “I’ll be in touch. I would suggest that you lay low for a little bit, so we can make final arrangements.”

“Alright. Have a good day.”

Mother and daughter, arm in arm, left the station.

Hana laughed, surprisingly since her brother had died that day and her father had tried to kill her mother. “Mom, I suddenly feel like there’s so many new possibilities waiting to happen.” She looked at the clear sky. “Things are opening up.”

Mrs. Choi smiled. “Yes… Choi Industries will file for bankruptcy, and you and I are free to do whatever you wish.” She turned to her daughter. “You don’t need to worry about Il Sung. I’ll break off the engagement with that man soon.”

“Thanks mama,” Hana grinned as they walked the busy streets of Seoul. “You know, Jung-su would have wanted us to be happy.”

“I think… it’s his little gift from heaven,” Mrs. Choi said slowly. “He was, and still is, to have such a wonderful sister.”

“Thanks… mom.”

Mrs. Choi nodded. “I want you to know that you have my full support with your dancing. It’s lovely, what you do. Keep working at NH. Now you are no longer bound by your father, and sadly to say, myself, so go.”

===============================================================================================================

The days passed quickly. Christmas came and gone, the days flying.

Erin busied herself with the dance studio and teaching. She had actually competed in a local dance competition, which she hadn’t done in a while and still placed third. Not what she usually got, but for Erin it was like taking a step into the direction she felt she needed to go – and more importantly, what Kyung-mi resisted against.

U-KISS was still the dedicated group we know, making a splash with their comeback album. They busied themselves with their comeback shows and fan meetings. Hana continued to dance, and for once in her life, she felt like things were looking up.

But even though it seemed to everyone that Kevin was over Kyung-mi and had healed… but he didn’t. Not a day passed that he didn’t think about her. She consumed his thoughts and actions.

Damn it, not again. Kevin sighed when he noticed he had poured two cups of tea instead of one. He sat down on the couch, watching as orange began to fill the sky, signaling the coming of a new day.

His eyes wandered to the calendar. February 13th… Valentines day is coming soon.

I wonder if she misses me as much as I do. He thought miserably. Maybe she’s forgotten about me and found some American guy to spend her time with. Someone who’s funny and knows what to say and is perfect for her and does the millions of things that I couldn’t do for her.

He took a sip of tea. Why can’t I get over her? She made it seem so easy. But if he listened to Eli, he would have realized that it broke her heart into two separate halves when she left.

I’m an idiot. He heard some of his group member’s alarms ring. He sighed. I better get changed for the flight.

=============================================================================================================

Ring… ring…Hello?”

“Leo, is that you?”

“HANA! Oh my goodness, I haven’t heard from you in forever! The last time I saw you-”

“-was at that All Dance convention, right?”

“Yeah! My goodness, how are you doing?”

“Fine. Look, I’m going to L.A soon. There’s a KPOP showcase on Valentine’s Day and I’m dancing for U-KISS.”

“What? Really? Jeez, I wish I could go…”

Hana grinned over the phone. “Look, I’m emailing you front row tickets I managed to get. Go take some lady friend of yours, whatever.”

“Great! God, thank you so much! I’ve got someone on my mind already!” Leo ran to his computer. He tapped his fingers impatiently as it booted up. This is perfect! I’m thinking candle light dinner… flowers…

“Who’s the new girl now?” Hana asked playfully. “You’re supposed to tell me these things!”

“Ahh, this great girl who’s working in my ballet studio. Her name is Erin and sh-”

Hana gasped. Maybe it was just a mere coincidence? “Erin… Walters?”

“Yah! How’d you know?”

“Brown hair, petite figure, blue eyes-”

“That’s her. Half Korean, half Caucasian? Why?”

Holy shiz… What is Kevin going to think when he sees that?! But maybe this is a perfect time for the two to see each other. To get closure, if not anything else. I know Kevin was torn up for weeks… and still is. Maybe I should talk to Leo, and tell him that Kyung-mi won’t accept his feelings… but what if she likes him back and truly doesn’t want to see Kevin again?! UGH! Damn it! Maybe they’ll get back together? She sighed.

I’m not sure what to do…

“Helllooo? Hana…?”

“Oh!” Hana snapped back to reality. “Yeah… I know her… but that isn’t the point. So… are you going to ask her?“

“Totally. I’ve been thinking I should ask her out for a long time. Like we’ve got this chemistry, I can’t explain it-”

Chemistry?!  “Then don’t,” Hana said brusquely. “I’ll see you soon, alright?”

“Yeah, bye-”

Hana hung up. I sure hope I didn’ justt cause another huge screw up again. Not again. Please, whatever being created us, whatever, please make this night go as smoothly as possible.

========================================================================================================

“Erin! Wait up!” Leo exclaimed, bounding over.

Erin giggled at Leo’s playfulness. It was obvious that he was head-over-heels for her. He beamed at the slightest complement and always treated her with special care, as if she was a delicate butterfly whose wings could be snapped with just a small touch.

He’s head-over-heels for Erin, Kyung-mi reminded herself.

“You know what day it is, right?”

Erin didn’t. The days passed and she had lost track. She didn’t really care anymore – she was happy with her life, she had tried to convince herself. Leo was… Leo. And Erin’s feelings grew for him with every day whilst Kyung-mi was still wallowing in self pity.

“Actually I don’t,” she replied, taking off her jacket and hanging it by the rack. Lessons began in a minute and she had just come back from lunch.

His eyes widened. “How could you not?” He pouted childishly. “It’s Valentines Day!”

“Mm… really?” Erin pretended to be uninterested. Is he going to ask me out or something? I hope so! That would be AMAZING.

“You, me, dinner?” He asked, grinning.

The ballet students began to file into the studio, whispering happily about the two instructors. They think they’re so smart, hiding their feelings, they thought slyly. But it’s as clear as day for us.

Erin turned around to see her students, waiting for her answer. “Don’t you guys have anything better to do?!” she asked playfully. “Go stretch.”

The ‘knowing’ teenagers rolled their eyes and giggled, but complied.

No, I don’t want to! Kyung-mi cried from deep within her. He’s a nice guy, but… Kevin-

Stop thinking about Kevin. Erin mentally shook her head. He’s gone, enjoying life. He wanted you to leave, remember?

Don’t say ye-

“Yes, that would be great!” Erin smiled wide, a little flirty.

“Great. I’ll pick you up at six at your place, alright? Dress formally.”

Erin shoved Kyung-mi back into her pile of memories. “Sounds great.”

====================================================================================================

Erin slipped into the midnight blue dress her mother bought for her. It had sequined straps that had been woven somehow to make a belt, as well as a beautiful, flowing skirt that seemed to shimmer with dark light. (A/N: weird, eh…)

The whole time that Erin was preparing herself for her date, Kyung-mi was arguing with every movement. What about Kevin? Leo isn’t good enough. I miss Kevin. That dress is ugly. Anything she could do to stop herself from going.

Shut up, Erin hissed, ugly side beginning to show. You’re the one who wanted to leave Seoul and forget about Kevin. Stop talking about him.

But you forced me!

And you were a weakling.

I was in love!

And you fell too far. Erin quickly applied some lip balm and checked herself over one last time. She was determined to forget about her life in Seoul and start a new one. NH was, and would be, just fine without her. Perhaps it would be even better, now that Hana had the spotlight all to herself.

Kyung-mi grumbled. I don’t like this… I want to go back, she realized.

No, no you don’t. You’re just feeling lonely, she reasoned with herself.

I’m sure he didn’t mean what he said. He was overreacting. I would too if I were in his position.

Quit it! Erin mentally slapped herself. I’m going on this date and that’s that.

=============================================================================================================

“Wow… y-you look amazing Erin!” Leo said, gaping at Erin’s dress. “Like really really-

“Oh stop exaggerating you…” Erin said, flirty. She took a step closer to Leo. “Shouldn’t you be talking to a mirror?”

Leo grinned. “Jump in,” he said, opening the passenger door.

“A gentleman too?”

Leo gave her a slight wink. “Only for a few special people in my life.” He closed the door and started the car.

“Is it too much to ask where we’re going?”

“Yup, but all I can tell you is we’ll be out late, so late that you’ll be up all night!”

Erin raised her eyebrows.

Leo suddenly blushed. “No, I didn’t mean it like- no! I would never! No! I didn-”

Erin giggled. “I’m just kidding! Hahah!” she laughed at Leo’s horrified expression.

“Jeez…” he said, pinching her cheek with one hand while he drove using the other.

The two drove in comfortable silence for a few minutes.

“Hey… is that…? NO WAY!”

“Walt Disney Concert Hall? Yes!”

Erin turned abruptly to Leo. “Why are we going there?” she asked, confused.

“Just a lovely Valentine’s Dinner after an amazing show…” Leo answered slowly. “There’s a KPOP showcase being featured here! And guess whose part of the performers? U-KISS!!”

“SAY WHAT?!” Kyung-mi shouted, shaking off the silence. Holy cow!

“Yep! Isn’t it great?!” Leo said happily, driving into the parking lot.

Holy @#$%! WOO! Kyung-mi yelled mentally, ecstatic. I get to see Kevin again! Damn it Leo, you have to ruin everything. Just by being here…

Unfortunately, Erin was having other thoughts. She pretended to clutch her stomach. “Ugh… I just got a stomach ache…” she winced. “Maybe you should drop me off at home…”

“And have you miss this? No way! I’m sure it’ll get better after this.” Was his reply while he parked the car.

Kyung-mi seized control. “I’m sure!” she chirped. “Let’s go!!” She dashed out of the car.

Leo laughed. “What happened to that stomach ache of yours?”

“What stomach ache?” Kyung-mi asked. “What are you talking about?”

Leo was about to answer but just figured that Erin was tricking him. “Whatever, let’s go!”

What are you doing?! Ugh, here- Erin remembered the moments between Kyung-mi and Kevin before parting.

 

-FLASHBACK-

Kyung-mi quietly began to cry. “Look… Kevin… I’m leaving! Please… don’t make this more complicated…”

Kevin abruptly turned his head. “No, you’re not going. I’m not going to let you.”

Kyung-mi crossed her arms, the moment they shared gone. She grabbed her crutches and stood up.

“Kyung-mi…” Kevin looked pained, but then turned annoyed. “So that’s it?”

Kyung-mi nodded. “We’re over.”

“How can you give up like that?!”

“Ke-”

“No! You just used me!” Kevin said hotly. “Your attitude against Hana was also uncalled for! What do you have to say about that? I want the old Kyung-”

“I don’t want to fi- OLD KYUNG-MI?” Kyung-mi turned around, enraged. “Kevin, if you can’t handle me at my worst, you definitely don’t deserve me at my best!”

“Fine! Just go to the States then! Find someone else! Why should I try when you’ve given up on me?”

-END FLASHBACK-

 

I know what I’m doing. Kyung-mi put on a smile to try to act like Erin would and walked into the pavilion with Leo.

No you DON’T know what you’re doing!

That was you talking, not me. For once, I’m going to fight for what I want. She then took the personality within her named Erin and shunned her away from her mind. I’m not going to let you ruin my life anymore. She put a mental lock in a safe within her mind where she’d never be able to be her forever.

I never want to act like that again.

“Let’s see… I got us tickets at the front row! Great, isn’t it? Maybe we’ll be able to high five them!” Leo said excitedly, not noticing the flood of emotions running through Kyung-mi’s mind.

“It’s going to be great,” Kyung-mi replied. The question is… how do I shake off Leo? I’ll need to explain things to Kevin. I’ll talk to Kevin after the show – once he sees me he’ll arrange something, but if he sees Leo he won’t want to. I should tell him not to like Erin.

“The show’s about to start soon… we should get to our se-”

“Wait, Leo… can I talk to you for a second?” Kyung-mi asked, grabbing his wrist.

“Of course!” He led her to a few seats by the windows. “What’s up?”

“Look… I… is… isthisadate?!”

“Say what…?” Leo asked, ears straining.

Kyung-mi took a deep breath, in full control. “Is… is this a date?”

Leo’s eyes widened and he scratched his head. “I guess it is!” he said sheepishly.

“B-because… look… I… I don’t think I can receive those feelings… and especially feel the same thing,” Kyung-mi said clearly.

Leo’s eyes looked anguished and he turned away for a second. This was supposed to be a perfect night.

“I thank you for taking me and everything, but-”

“Do you want me to drive you back now?” he asked, empty. “We’ll skip the sh-”

“No! I still want to see them perform!” Kyung-mi said. “And… I think you do too.”

Leo swallowed. “We’ll skip the dinner then…” he gave her a small smile. “So we go as friends then?”

“As friends…” Kyung-mi nodded. “Thank you for understanding… I just don’t think it would work out between us. I would prefer to stay friends because I value that friendship very much.” She wasn’t lying – it was just she wanted to see Kevin soon.

“Alright then…” Leo scratched his head. “Let’s get to our seats.”

The two ‘friends’ quickly walked to the concert hall and found their seats.

It’s perfect. Kyung-mi thought excitedly. Right in the middle, Leo well done!

Then an MC walked onto stage. “Hello Everyone, Anneyonghasayo! I’m Chris and I’ll be your MC for the night. We have a wonderful line up of fifteen of today’s leading KPOP stars. If you’ll open up the small brochures that you received prior to entering, you’ll find a complete list of the performers.”

Kyung-mi anxiously grabbed the booklet and flipped through it. U-KISS… U-KISS… oh, there they are! They’re playing… last. Damn it. I don’t know if I can wait that long…

“Without further ado, please raise your hands for our first performer, SHINee!”

============================================================================================================

Kyung-mi truly tried to focus on the KPOP groups. Besides being a Kiss Me, she was also a huge Shawol, VIP, and Inspirit. It really was a great show of all KPOP had to offer.

“INFINITE HWAITING~!!” she cheered with the crowd of fan girls. She had a list mentally and checked off Infinite. U-KISS is next!.

Leo watched her the whole time. It was a bittersweet moment for him.  He was depressed that Erin had rejected him, but happy to see her elated about KPOP. If not anything, and if not with me, the least I can do is wish for her happiness.

“Alright folks, we’re definitely going out with a bang! Last but certainly not least, here’s U-KISS with the songs “When Love Stops” and “DoraDora” from their hit mini album!”

Kyung-mi held her breath, scanning the stage, waiting until she could see Kevin again.

Backstage, U-KISS was doing their last cheer before going on stage. “U-KISS, FIGHTING! Make me proud,” Dae Ho added.

“Yes sir!” and with that, U-KISS burst through the double doors to the stage. Kevin lagged behind slightly. His heart wasn’t into singing right now. Everything had been thrown off since Kyung-mi left. He had even considered leaving U-KISS.

One more show. That’s it. Kevin shook his head and followed s, only to stop short when he saw the crowd.

The two locked eyes and gasped.

She… she’s here.

===========================================================================================================

Hey Guys!

I hope I didn't rush it. Something needed to be done about Kevin. (GET YOUR WOMAN BACK!)

Hope you enjoyed it guys.

I think the story might end in approximately ~4 chapters maybe? Depends.

It seems a little short to me, but I don't want to stretch it out.

I'll see you readers soon! Keep commenting, I love reading them.

-dayturnstonight.