Friends

Deception

I'm already bored with this story...HAHA. I need to get to more interesting stuff asaaappp

and omg not having a main image for the past three chapters is really pissing me off like ;ajsfd;kls

--

 

Chapter 4: Friends

August 2013

                “The papers you’ll need are all in here,” Ms. Zuyev instructed, handing me a manila folder. I opened the thick paper to see all of the documents a regular Korean immigrant from Russia would need; birth certificate, passport, social security number, and more. And the familiar sheet of paper detailing who I was. I had memorized it a few months ago but it’s always good to keep a copy just in case.

                I closed my eyes and leaned against the plush leather seats of the car I was traveling in. In a few minutes I’d arrive at Seoul University where I was registered as a senior.

                Baek Jungah. Born November 3, 1992 in Seoul, South Korea. Traveled with her missionary parents to Japan where she was raised for most of her life.

                And that was it. None of her likes and dislikes, her past memories were written on there.

                “Because those can’t be made up. Those are your own.”

                Because this isn’t a mission.

                Because I’m just a regular girl now.

                The car slowed to a stop, and I opened my eyes, considerably more grouchy than I was before.

                “Alright, Dad, let’s go,” I spit as Dongwook stepped out of the front seat of the car. He’d be helping me finalize the classes and help get me settled. After all, what student at a new college came without a parent to help them out?

                “Of course Sweetie,” Dongwook cooed happily, pulling one of my huge suitcases behind him and grabbing a box in his hands. I had a suitcase of my own and a backpack.  Papa had insisted on getting me brand new materials for the dorms and my new life. New clothes, dorm decorations, sheets. I hadn’t taken a look at any of the items, simply throwing them in a container and then heaving them into the trunk before the ride.

                “Gee, never heard you so civilized,” I commented, almost amused. Dongwook was another of the Korean workers my dad had, but he always went by his nickname of Se7en. Calling him anything else was…beyond weird.

                “What building did you say you were in, Jungah-ya?” Se7en asked, holding the map up to his face like any good, confused parent would.

                “Uh, 3C, I think,” I murmured. “Do you see it?”

                “I…I think so,” Se7en responded, sounding uncertain, part of his character. He motioned with his head and led me to my co-ed dorm building. Guys on the right, girls on the left.

                “Ooh, co-ed. You gonna get a boyfriend, Jungie?” Se7en asked, sending me a mischievous smile. Se7en had gotten in with my dad later than normal, late in high school, so he had experience with “regular” living.

                I gave him a weird look. “Shut up, Dad.”

                Se7en simply laughed; he was always a little too carefree for me. Even if this wasn’t a mission and being a dad wasn’t exactly a trying role, you can never be too careful.

                “Mm 312…” I murmured, walking down the long hallway. I was wearing jean shorts and a simple striped tank top. Even in such plain clothes it felt weird. I’ve grown up in the plain black clothing Papa issued all his agents. And I liked it that way. It was simple, comfortable, and practical. It wasn’t like I had zero experience with other clothing. I kept up with a variety of topics, fashion being one of them, especially when I had to play a role that was more feminine than I am usually. I just didn’t have a strong interest in it, nor did I care to dress up. Actually Se7en was the one who helped me pick this outfit out…

                “Here we are,” Se7en announced, sounding relieved. “I believe your roommate’s already here and her name is…Victoria. Hm. Cute.”

                I rolled my eyes. “I have a ert of a father for being a missionary.”

                Se7en smiled at me before knocking on the door. “Hello?” he called.

                I heard a small scrambling, then a pretty voice shouted back,” Uh yeah, one sec.” After a few moments the door flew open and a thin girl with large eyes and long, straight brown hair greeted us.

                “Hi, I’m, Victoria, you must be my roommate,” she smiled at us, nodding briefly to Se7en and greeting him more politely.

                “Yeah, I’m Baek Jungah,” I introduced. “And that’s my dad.”

                She nodded once before suddenly backing up and ushering us in. “Right, well, yeah! Come in, come in. Welcome. I just came a few days ago. It’s a little small but we’re close to the bathrooms so it’s nice,” she added, letting out a little laugh.

                The room was fairly small, but big enough. Two beds on either side of the room were accompanied by wooden desks at the foot. A small door was on either side of me when I entered, and I figured they were closets.

                “Oh, Jungah, I’m so glad we found this lamp,” Se7en called to me excited. He already had the top of the box in his hands off and was rummaging through the decorations within.

                “Wow…your dad sure is into uh—the interior decorating stuff,” Victoria murmured softly to me as Se7en excitedly flitted around the room, setting up various small pieces of furniture and equipment.

                I let out a long sigh. “I’m uh…his only daughter. He’s been excited about this for a…long while.”

               

                After effectively jamming so much into the little dorm room that breathing felt like it took up too much space, Se7en finally took his leave, kissing me on the cheek and waving good naturedly to Victoria.      

                “Your dad’s so cool,” Victoria mused after we shut the door.

                I let out a scoff. “Hardly…” I murmured.

                Victoria laughed. “No, no I mean it. The room looks awesome. Way better than when it was just me. And he’s so friendly and funny.”

                “Yeahh… So have you been here all four years?” I asked instead, changing the subject.

                Victoria and I were seated on our respective beds, mine decked out in patterned sheets and an array of colorful and fluffy pillows.  Victoria’s was a pale blue with white accents, and the head of hers wasn’t stuffed full…

                “Yup,” she affirmed as she nodded once. “But I’ve always been in the all-girls dorm. Senior year, though,” she shrugged, but her face was filled with excitement and apprehension. “Have you always gone to Seoul University?”

                “No, actually I lived in Japan. My dad did missionary work.”

                Victoria’s eyes widened with shock. “Ahh Japan?” she murmured appreciatively. “That’s pretty cool. Hold on…wait my friend studied abroad there! Yeah! Daehyun… Er, well, his name was Daehyun. He spent all of last year in Japan, and he’ll be coming back for next semester.”

                “Ah…” I replied noncommittally, nodding my head.

                Victoria let out a nervous laugh. “Right…yeah, well, sorry, you don’t even know him.”

                I sent her the warmest of smiles I could muster. “Don’t worry about it.” We spent the next while just talking and getting to know each other better. Soon after 5 her phone beeped and she checked her messages. Quickly skimming her phone screen she turned back to me quickly.

                “Hey, I’m meeting my friends for dinner soon. You should come, you don’t know anyone around here, right?”

                I nodded, thankful for her asking but at the same time not really minding being alone. “Uh…”

                “Yeah, come! It’ll be fun, I promise,” Victoria insisted. “We’re going to this fusion place, oh my God it’s delicious,” she continued, hopping off her bed. “We’ll have to catch a bus there but it’s not too far.”

                “Oh…uh…kay,” I muttered, barely stumbling into my shoes before Victoria pulled me out the door.

               

                “Hey, Vic,” a girl with curly, reddish brown hair and a gummy smile greeted.

                “And he-llo New Girl,” the faux hawked guy next to her enthused, sending me a flirtatious smile.

                Victoria rolled her eyes, sitting down and ushering me into a seat, too. “Oh shut up PO, this is my roommate, Jungah. Jungah, that charming one is PO, that’s L.Joe, Amber, Zelo, and Hyosung,” Victoria introduced, pointing in turn to the one that had greeted me when I came in, a boy with long, bleach-blnd hair, a girl with short blond hair and colorful highlights, a boy with a blond faux hawk and blue streaks running through it, and the girl that had greeted Victoria as we came in.

                They all greeted me with smiles and friendly gestures, but I couldn’t help feel so…awkward around them.  It was weird. I could pretend to be a million different roles in a million different situations but with regular kids my age…I didn’t know how to act at all.

               

                “They’re alright, aren’t they?” Victoria asked me as we headed back to our dorm later that night. She had a content smile on her face as she spoke fondly of her friends. After dinner all of us had walked around, gotten dessert, and just talked. I got to know them a little better and they had questions for me.

                “Yeah, they’re…they’re nice. They’re fun,” I agreed, trying to choose my words carefully.

                Vicotoria laughed. “They’re sort of weird,” she agreed. “Don’t worry about that, you get over it,” she shrugged. “Me, L.Joe and Amber have all been friends since freshman year. Well, and Daehyun—“ Daehyun. That name again. He was brought up a few times in conversation tonight. They must really miss him… “—And then Hyosung and PO are juniors, and Zelo’s just a baby, he’s a sophomore, but he’s cool.”

                I nodded, silent. I felt bad since Victoria was so sweet and I was being so awkward but I didn’t really know what else to say…

                Victoria yawned as we got back to our dorm room. We grabbed our toiletries and washed up then headed back and changed into something to sleep in. As we lied in silent darkness, she suddenly spoke up again.

                “It’s senior year…it’s gonna be awesome,” she mused.

                “It should be…a different experience,” I agreed.

                Victoria laughed. “Jungah you’re so…I don’t know. You’re cool. I like you.”

                Well thank God because I’ve just about used up all of my people skills tonight… “Thanks. I’m glad you’re my roommate.” And it was true.

                “Good,” I could practically hear the smile in her voice. “Because I am, too. Goodnight, Jungah.”

                “Good night.”