Cancelled

Unwanted Companion

 

 

 

God must have a pretty good sense of humor… he must!

 

I woke up 3 hours later to an announcement from the pilot: I just want to alert the passengers that we are going to make an emergency landing in Los Angeles due to bad weather over the Pacific Ocean. Be prepared to land in ten minutes.

 

I glanced around, feeling half-dead. The other passengers were stirring too, most of them groaning. I didn’t want to land in Los Angeles!! I wanted to land in Seoul!

 

I rubbed my aching eyes and cocked my head sleepily as I felt something heavy on my left shoulder. I glanced to my left and felt my neighbor’s tousled hair in my nose and my partly-opened mouth.

 

I gagged in surprised and turned away, trying to shrug him off. His head merely wobbled and maintained its place on my shoulder. His face was still covered in the blanket.

 

“Yah…” I spoke quietly, not wanting to draw any attention “E-excuse me Mr. Jung could you please wake up?”

 

Having no response I poked his head. A sudden thought occurred to me. What if he had died!! My eyes widened at the thought as I stared at the man leaning on me.

 

Suddenly he stirred. His arm tentatively came up to his face and touched the blanket “Oh crap!!” he cried as he ripped the cover of his face.

 

His face was distorted from just waking up, his eyes roving around wildly until the landed on me. They widened and he stared at me, not looking away.

 

Uncomfortable I muttered “Uh, I was the one who covered you. I’m sorry for being insensitive.”

 

He looked at me blankly then smiled “It’s okay. I forget I sleep like that! Here, I’ll bet you ten American bucks that we won’t land in Seoul tomorrow!”

 

“We’re not… you heard the announcement.”

 

His eyes grew even wider “There was an announcement?”

 

I rolled my eyes “We’re getting off in a few minute-“

 

At that moment the flight attendants rushed over, telling us to put our seatbelts on. I pursed my lips and clipped myself in. Guess I wont be wide awake at my proposal tomorrow…

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

It was roughly 11 o’clock when we landed. Although we had flown for over 5 hours there was a 3-hour time difference between New York and Los Angeles.

 

I yawned. My body clock has been messed up since I arrived in New York from Seoul and had barely any time to adjust. It was now 3 in the morning, according to my body. My ankle had faded to a dull ache, but was still swollen.

 

The airport was crowded to the point of bursting! You couldn’t walk around without touching another person sitting on the floor waiting for their flight.

 

The first thing I did was to go to a pay phone.

 

I rang my girlfriend. As it rang I mentally calculated the time over there. It would be around 4 in the afternoon. Good… she would have finished work by now.

 

“Yobseyo?” a soft voice spoke, causing my face to brighten.

 

“Hey Kahi, it’s me! Jaejoong!”

 

“Jae!!” she squealed. “W-what’s happening? Why are you calling?”

 

I sighed “Well, I’m at the Los Angeles airport right now a-“

 

“What?! Why are you in Los Angeles? That’s still in America right?”

 

“Yeah, it is. I was delayed two hours in New York and now I’ve had to land in Los Angeles because of bad weather conditions so I suspect that will be another few hours.”

 

“Aww, baby…” I could imagine her pouting.

 

“Don’t worry! We’ll be together soon! We… ugh… look my money is almost spent since I’m talking on a payphone so I’ll just say I love you and I’ll text you when I can!”

 

Suddenly, before I could hear her say goodbye to me, the operator took over, demanding to be given more money to talk for longer. I sighed and slowly hung up.

 

I was stumbling back to find a seat when I heard a voice calling “Kim Jaejoong!”

 

I turned to see that guy on the plane -Jung Yunho- watching me curiously “Did you call your family? Or girlfriend?”

 

“I don’t think that’s any of your business.” I spoke coldly.

 

“Ahh~” Yunho nodded “Your girlfriend must be pretty mad then. I remember my last girlfriend. She was as ditzy as a… a puppy. She was so clingy too! You should have seen her!”

 

I watched him as he chuckled at a memory. When he had stopped I asked “So what’s the flight situation then?”

 

He grinned “Simple! There’s no WAY we’ll be getting out of here tonight! You’ll have more chance of growing wings and flying there yourself than for us to catch a flight tonight.”

 

“I doubt it. We won’t be delayed for long!”

 

At this Jung Yunho simply laughed “It’s true! And by the time they announce that the flights are cancelled, which they will, you’ll have more chance of finding a needle in a haystack than a room for the night.”

 

“We’ll see.” I said coldly, clearly annoyed at this person.

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

It was another hour before the flight times all flashed from ‘DELAYED’  to ‘CANCELLED’. A man stood up, holding a loudspeaker: Ladies and Gentlemen can I have your attention please. I’m sorry to announce that all flights are cancelled due to severe weather conditions in Los Angeles.

 

I groaned. Everyone groaned. I ran back to the phone booth. I waited behind two people to use some public phones. I was lucky to be third in line since a few moments later a whole line had formed up –once again- behind me.

 

Using the phone book I called hotel after hotel, begging for a place to stay. They were all booked.

 

The impatient line behind me began to yell at me for hogging the phone so I hung up and stormed away. I was so angry I almost crashed into someone. I looked up to see it was Jung Yunho with a great big I-told-you-so smile on his face.

 

 “What do you want?” I glared at him.

 

“I was right, wasn’t I?” he said smugly.

 

“Yeah well…” I couldn’t be bothered to think of a comeback. “Well I have no place to sleep tonight now.”

 

A thoughtful look came over Yunho’s face and he grabbed my shoulder as I turned away “You know… I have a friend who owns a hotel around here – well really an old customer. But if you could pay for the cab fare I could probably persuade him to set you up a room for the night?

 

I wanted to decline his offer or really, my stubbornness and pride wanted to say no. As I began to shook my head I saw a couple of families beginning to makes their beds on the airport floor.

I quickly nodded “S-sure! If I could get a room for the night it’d be great.”

 

At least something right is going for me now. Right? I thought as I trudged to where I had left my luggage.

 

I walked up behind Yunho, who was getting his luggage. My eyes widened at the sight. 

 

It was that giant crate I had tripped over and broken my ankle!! I glared at Yunho, hating him even more. Of course it was Yunho's luggage! Of course, how could I have been so dumb?

 

I was snapped out of my thoughts at the sound of Yunho's voice "Come on, let's go quickly! Oh~ and you still owe me ten American dollars since I was right on the plane!"

 

I hate you so much, Yunho.