25th Birthday... It's about time

[drabble set] Happy Birthday

 

It’s been 25 years since the two first breathe and yet they found themselves single and available. They have some flings and dated a couple of times but no real relationship existed. Their friends worry that they may grow old like that.

 

And so when Takaki and Hikaru announced their wedding, She asked Kei to organize her wedding for April. Why? Because Hikaru asked his best friend Kouta to organize his wedding.

 

And so the two can’t help but work together for their friends’ sake. 

 

“I know you hate me but can we just work on this professionally. I want Hikaru to be happy..”

 

Kouta said when they met for their first wedding planning session, Kei just nodded but her heart sank. How can Kou-chan say that I hated him?

 

The two became ok and started planning the wedding professionally, even doing the cake asting and other stuff. 

 

“you two look great together”

 

The photographer even commented when they booked for the event. 

 

One month before the Wedding, Kouta and Kei were going to celebrate their birthday; but since they were busy with the Wedding plans, they had no time to do so.

 

Luckily, since Takaki and Hikaru had all the free time not planning their wedding, they organized a dinner for two on the ides of March for the friends.

 

The candles were lighted and a song romantically played, the two find themselves seated across each other eating expensive dinner.

 

“I don’t think this is. part of the wedding planning stuff..”

 

Kei commented as she eat her carbonara.

 

“hmm.. Happy birthday”

 

Kouta said as he raise his wine glass, Kei lifted hers as well.

 

“I never thought it would be possible to celebrate my birthday with you..”

 

Kouta suddenly said Kei was surprised.

 

“Ever since our 7th birthday, I always wanted to celebrate my birthday with you. But you left Japan for 7 years. When you returned, I invited you to my birthday, but you threw the invitation out the garbage. On my 16th birthday, I really wanted a sweet 16 party, but then what sense would it have when you won’t be attending anyway..”

 

Kouta stopped eating and was now crying.

 

“I wanted to come on your birthday too.. but it’s rude to come when I’m not even invited. I envy them for they can celebrate with you.. I didn’t have the chance.”

 

Kouta wiped away his tears 

 

“I’m sorry, I have to go.. Happy Birthday”

 

He bowed low, stood up and left Kei, surprised, stunned, and crying.

 

Kei immediately followed Kouta but caught no sign of him outside the restaurant. She searched and searched but didn’t found him. She finally gave up and just sat by the bench over looking Tokyo’s night sky.

 

She stood by the rails as a cold wind blew. 

 

“Kouta BAKA! How can you just leave me like this? You didn’t even ask if I wanted to come on your 16th birthday? You always avoided me! How can I give you any invites? You always leave me and never even bother to ask how I feel..  how can I have my happy birthday if I continue to spend it crying!”

 

“why?”

 

Kei turned to see Kouta was there, hearing everything.

 

“because you never bother to ask how I feel.. for 18 years, I waited for you to greet me on my birthday.. for 18 years, I waited for you to ask me if I was happy.. for 18 years.. I waited for you to..”

 

And so it did happen after 18 years, their first kiss. Kouta tightened his grip on Kei’s waist as he pulled her closer, and he deepens the kiss. Kei answered back lovingly, her tears flowed from a bittersweet mix of emotions.

 

“kiss you?”

 

Kouta said when they finally broke off for air; Kei blushed hard. There was silence

 

“Happy Birthday”

 

They both blurted out at the same time, smiles on their faces: finally, they feel Happy on their Birthday.