Sweet Sixteen

[drabble set] Happy Birthday

 

It was 9 years since that faithful day. And Kouta was celebrating his 16th birthday.

 

Kei just got back last year and will finish her high school here in Japan. A month before their Birthday,  Kouta decided to invite her for their birthday party. He was nervous, he was anxious, he was excited. 

 

“so what do you plan to do on your 16th birthday Kei?”

 

“just a simple lunch.. you coming?”

 

“hmm.. well can Hikaru come?”

 

“Are you two going out?”

 

Takaki nodded and Kei smiled.

 

“of course.. but he will attend his friend’s birthday as well..”

 

“yah.. but it’ll be later in the evening..”

 

Kei closed her locker door and went to class. Kouta, whose locker was just two doors down, heard everything and pain filled his heart. Was it that hard to say his name? he closed the door and went to his class as well.

 

Later that night, Kouta was dragged by his mom to discuss the plans for his birthday.

 

“we should have an ice sculpture don’t you think Kou-chan?”

Kouta was very depressed and so he shrugged off his mom.

 

“What’s wrong dear?!”

 

“I don’t want any party.. I don’t want to celebrate anymore birthdays..”

 

“Why? Because Kei didn’t come last year? Maybe she was just busy that time..”

 

“And she won’t come this year either”

 

Kouta left a sealed envelope on the table, it was an invation.

 

Ma.. this year, I want to invite Kei.. maybe this time we can celebrate together.. If she accepts it then it’ll be the best birthday ever!

 

And so Mrs. Yabu sighed and looked at the envelope, it was the invitation Kouta worked hard to do; his dream birthday was not an expensive party, it was just to celebrate the ides of March with Kei.

 

And so ides of March came. Kei had her simple birthday luncheon party with Takaki, Yama-chan and Yuri, her close friends. Their boyfriends came along as well.

 

“Happy birthday!”

 

It was simple but very meaningful.

 

“so you must be attending another party later..”

 

Kei asked them but all six just shook their heads.

 

“Kou-chan won’t be celebrating his birthday this year. His mom said that he chose to have a family dinner instead.”

 

Hikaru said. 

 

“yah..  last year he wasn’t very happy celebrating his birthday, I don’t know why..”

 

 

Daiki added.

 

“I have a feeling it’s about.. ouch”

 

Ryutaro started but then Yuri stomped on his feet so hard.

 

“hmm.. maybe got tired of extravagant parties?!”

 

Kei answered casually, the rest nodded along.

 

But she knew why Kouta would do such a thing, why he was not enjoying his birthday.

 

Last year, Kouta excitedly invited Kei on their 15th birthday party. Kei accepted the invitation; Kouta was very happy. But as Kouta left school that day, He noticed Kei’s invite thrown on the garbage bin unopened, untouched. It breaks Kouta’s heart, for this was intended to be a double celebration, their birthday. 

 

On the day of his birthday, Everyone anticipated the double celebration but Kei didn’t show up. Kouta lied to his parents that she’ll be coming, something might came up; but in reality, he knew she’ll never come since the invite was there kept in his closet.

 

He asked her friends to keep the event a secret, for he knew Kei will not forgive him ever. Takaki agreed, for she knew the friend didn’t even read the invite: it said Kei and Kouta’s 15th birthday celebration,  but Kei’s pride led her to disposing the invite without having a single glance.

 

One thing Kouta never knew, Kei was there; she came. Dressed in a blue cocktail dress, Kei attended the party but changed her mind when she saw Kouta dancing a spotlight dance with some girl. Kei left immediately.