Chapter 6/??

Weight of the World

!WARNING!
Rated M:
 Abusive behaviour, violence. Heecheol being a douche. 


Heecheol walked onto his balcony, it was his favourite spot in the castle. It was a place, peaceful and quiet, a place where he could clear his mind whenever he felt burdened with thoughts. But right now, even the balcony couldn't help him, never did he feel so anxious as he did right now.


He fixed his eyes on the horizon, and watched how the city was slowly getting ready for the night. Normally he would be up here just to enjoy the beautiful sunset, but he was too busy thinking about Ryeowook. All that was going on inside his mind involved his older brother. He wanted some news, some updates, anything! Not hearing about the mission made him feel frustrated and angry!
But, it wasn't just Ryeowook that made him feel this way, he also regretted sending his best and only friend to the fields. He was afraid something might have happened to him, something terrible. He wasn't scared that Hyungsik would do anything to hurt Ryeowook, no matter what his brother had done to him, Hyungsik just wasn't the type of person that would take his revenge on people, he's just too good for that. But Ryeowook ... he might be capable of doing things to Hyungsik, terrible ones, things Heecheol didn't even dare to think about.
He shook his head and grabbed the stone edge from his balcony. 'Hyungsik is fine.' He tried to convince himself while his fingers were gripping the stone edge more tightly. 'Nothing will happen to him ...'
 

 

~~~


The sun had set and never was the city of Aiden this quiet and dark before. People stayed at home, scared the go out at night now that a crazy compeller was on the run. Even the lamplighter didn't go out to lit the streetlights, it was a depressing sight and somewhat scary. 

Heecheol was sitting in his room with a book on his lap, useless and unread. The room was too dark to read in and his mind too busy to focus. 'I should never have send him to the field.' He whispered to himself. 'DAMN IT! Why isn't anyone telling me something?!' He shouted as he ripped one of the paper pages out of his book.

'S-sir, did you call?' Siwan asked carefully as he opened the door, but he could barely see his master, the room was too dark. 'Why are you in the dark, my lord? Should I put more wood into the fireplace so that you can continue your book?'

'Do I look like I'm in the mood to read? Just leave me alone.' He said sharply. Heecheol has always been short tempered, it was something he never really learnt to control and people feared him for that, especially because of his powers.

'B-But sir, it's so dark a-'  Siwan tried to continue but his sight went black.

The next moment, as he opened his eyes he was in pain. His right side felt like it was being hit by something heavy and an headache was pounding in his skull. He wasn't sure what happened, not until he saw the thick book lying next to him. 'S...Sir, I'm so sorry.' He groaned as he tried to stand up, but the book had hit his head hard. The pounding pain created stars behind his eyelids so he decided to stay on the ground for a little while longer. 'I think I must have passed out for a second, my lord.'

'I preferred you that way.' Heecheol said calmly as he walked towards him.

For a moment, Siwan expected him to help him back to his feet, but of course Heecheol didn't care about him, he walked past him like he was nothing but air. Only to pick up the book that was just thrown at his head.  

'This book used to be my fathers'. You know how many times I got this thing against my head?' Heecheol asked Siwan. 'It hurts, doesn't it?'

Siwan didn't dare to answer with words, so all he did was nod silently.

'People keep saying that my father was such a great man. He showed so much respect towards his people, he even let the powerless souls live.' Heecheol walked towards the fireplace and smashed the stone wall with his fist. 'People had no idea what he was really like. A coward that's what he was. Towards his people he showed nothing but mercy ... he was the great king everyone always wanted. But towards me? Mercy?' Heecheol scoffed. 'This book, his belt and his fists ... I've met them all, the one harder than the other. But Ryeowook? Oh no, Ryeowook was his favourite. It was always all about Ryeowook, he had to go with Ryeowook here, he had to go with Ryeowook there. What about me?! Where am I in this whole picture, huh?! It was always my perfect big brother.'

'B-but he made you king, my lord. That must mean something ... right?' Siwan carefully tried.

'Of course he made me king. Ryeowook betrayed the kingdom, his oh so perfect son, that always had his attention, betrayed my father! So he had no other choice but to name me king. But he never wanted me to be king. I was not ready, my temper would be my undoing, is what he said.' Heecheol sighed, he had cropped these feelings inside him for way too long now, it was good to finally say them out loud. 'I'm going to show my father that I can do this. I will rule this kingdom like he never could. I'm no coward and I know what is best.'

'And what is that, my lord?' Siwan asked with a shaken voice, scared to hear the answer.

'Powerless souls should be banned from the city.' Heecheol said calmly like it didn't mean anything to him. 'Don't be scared, I'm no killer, I don't want anyone to be killed, but powerless souls shouldn't be allowed anywhere near my kingdom. Not anymore! They make us weak, something we can't use in times of war.'

'B-But sir ... how to survive out there without any money or powers?' Siwan asked with a panicking voice. 'War has never been so close before, we're doomed to die!'  

'That's not my problem. I'm sure your kind will find a way to survive.' Heecheol walked back towards his balcony, leaving Siwan behind as a trembling mess. 'Don't be too worried yet, I won't let it happen before the wedding.'

He knew that making this decision was the best for his kingdom, it wasn't anything he wanted, it was needed. War has never been this close before and war will always lure behind every corner. The last thing he could use were powerless souls to weaken his people. He knew that Hyungsik would be one as well. He kept telling him he was still in the proces to see what his power could be. But the Powerless gene is dominant against every other gene out there, so Hyungsik had to be one. But Hyungsik and his mother would be the only two powerless people that are allowed to stay within his gates, there was no way that he would abandon Hyungsik ... he meant the world to him.

~~~

'Hyung! No!' Hyungsik yelled through the castle's garden. 'What are you doing?'

'I want to sit here!' Heecheol said annoyed when he pointed to a rabbit in the grass.

'So?' The 9 year old Hyungsik asked cocky. 'Hyung, you really should do something about that temper of yours! You can just ask the bunny to move away, you know? Look!' Hyungsik kneeled down next to the rabbit. 'Mr. Rabbit? You see that thick headed friend of mine? The one that rarely smiles? He really wants to sit here, so can you please move?' Hyungsik waved his hands towards the rabbit and smiled when it hopped away. 'See hyung? No need to kick or slap!' Hyungsik said proudly.

'You looked like a complete idiot. Who even talks to animals?' Heecheol said before he flopped down in the grass.

'I talk to animals a lot.' Hyungsik started before he flopped down next to his best friend. 'Sometimes, when my mum is too busy I just go into the garden and talk to the birds.'

Heecheol didn't answer, everything he said made no sense to him. Why would you talk to something that couldn't answer back?

'You should try to do it too, it can be helpful whenever you feel angry or frustrated, you know? They will never give you an answer you don't want to hear and they don't understand a word of what you are saying, so ...'

'It's useless.' Heecheol finished his line.

'No... it's perfect whenever you feel the need to release your feelings!' 

'Maybe...' Heecheol sighed when he closed his eyes. 'Or maybe I should just kick a wall.'

'Or that ...' Hyungsik giggled. 'I'm sure that will help too, as long as you won't be kicking me, I'm ok with it! Oh, and don't kick the wall in my room! The wall is very fragile and the toilet is right next to it! It would smell!'

They both started laughing. Heecheol always liked moments like this, it made him calm. For a guy at his age, he already had to deal with a lot of anger he just couldn't control, but luckily Hyungsik was there to make him feel better. Hyungsik was his way to deal with a lot of things, but it wasn't just Hyungsik who helped him, it was his big brother too...

'Hyungsik! Heecheol! There you are!' Ryeowook laughed. 'I should have known you guys would be here.'

'Hyung! Join us! It's really nice outside!'

Ryeowook flopped down in the grass, his head resting on both of his hands while the two younger ones moved closer. Heecheol let his head rest on Ryeowook's stomach, his most favourite pillow, while Hyungsik used Heecheol's legs.

'Hyung...' Heecheol started.

'Hmm?'

'Did you ever talk to birds?'

Ryeowook laughed. 'Talk to birds? Why do you ask that?'

'Well, Hyungsik talks to them, he even has whole conversations with them! And he talks to rabbits too!' Heecheol taunted.

~~~


Heecheol caught himself smiling to that memory. It was a silly one maybe ... but it was one of those moments where Hyungsik knew to calm him down. Hyungsik has always been a weird one. But a true friend ... 

'Heecheol! Look!' Siwan rudely interrupted his thoughts and it took Heecheol a while before he noticed where the rude yell came from. It was then when he saw Siwan pointing towards the dark horizon. 'Something is moving closer!'

Heecheol didn't even care that Siwan just called him by his name. 'Who is it?' He asked with shaking voice.

'I'm not sure, it's too dark outside, no light has been lit!' Siwan said and Heecheol could hear the worry in his voice too. He squeezed his eyes to slits and watched how the shadow pranced closer. It was a horse, but he couldn't tell if it was one of his'. The horse was getting closer to the city gates and the moment it stepped into the lights Heecheol could see that there wasn't one men on it, there were two. One sitting straight and the other hanging numb over the saddle.

'Who is that?' Siwan asked.

'How am I supposed to know! I'm no Seer! I can't see that far!' Heecheol snapped. He was worried and no longer able to control his emotions. Who was that person hanging over the saddle, was it one of his men? His stomach twitched and his right arm started to shake uncontrollably. 'What is this feeling?' Heecheol whispered to himself when he clenched his right fist.

'My lord ...' A woman's voice called out.

'Soo-yeon!' Heecheol breathed and he walked towards his fiancee. 'Soo-yeon, what is going on at the gates?'

'My lord ... Hyungsik has been seriously injured.'

Heecheol didn't speak, it wasn't just his right arm anymore, his whole body was shaking right now. Was this sadness? Anger? A mix of both? Heecheol didn't feel anything like sadness for the past ten years or so, he was never allowed to show it, because it was not manly to cry. But right now all he wanted to do was cry his eyes out. 'Is he going to die?' Heecheol asked with uncontrollable shaking voice.

'His condition seems pretty serious, I don't know if they were in time.' Soo-yeon answered honestly. 'I couldn't hear and see all of it ... I am sorry.' She said while bowing deeply.

'Don't be like this ... you will be the queen soon. There is no need for you to bow in front of me.' Heecheol wrapped both of his arms around her and let his cheek rest on her head. 'Did you see him get hurt? Could you see that far?' He asked, not being sure if he even wanted to hear the answer.

Soo-yeon shook her head. 'I'm not skilled enough to see that far. I could only see as soon as the horse reached the gates. I'm still in the middle of progressing and discovering my powers, I am sorry.' They stood there for a little while. Heecheol knew that it probably wasn't smart to hold her like this, not now that he felt so many things at the same time. His emotions were unstable, being unstable was a big risk to anyone near him, so he quickly let go of her and looked away.

'Heecheol ...'

'I'm sorry, I don't trust myself with you right now. I am in no control of my own body, you know what I can do to you if we're not being careful enough.'

'I am not scared. I know you love me enough to not let anything like that happen to me.' Soo-yeon said with a soft smile before grabbing her lovers hands back into hers.

'I have to go.'

'Where are you going?' Soo-yeon asked worriedly.

'I'm going to the Choi's house. They're the only healers left within our gates, I'm sure they've taken him there.'

'I will go with you.'

'No, the city is not safe right now. I will go alone.'

 

~~~


Heecheol wasn't sure if walking around the city was the best thing to do right now, especially in his state. His whole body was trembling and he knew that he was unstable, a threat to his own people. Simple skin to skin contact could be enough to compel someone, it wasn't something he wanted, not at all, but right now he couldn't really care, he just wanted to reach the Choi's place as fast as possible.

Heecheol wasn't really sure where he was heading, it was too dark to see anything and he wasn't really used to the streets. He has been locked inside the castle for way too long now. Every street looked the same to him, especially at night, where the hell was he going?

'Heecheol? Is that you?'

'Who are you to talk to me so rudely?' Heecheol tried to sound powerful, but the lack of oxygen made it sound like he was about to die soon.

'I'm sorry, it's Sunny, remember me, s-sir?'

Heecheol remembered her well, he had a crush on her for a long time, but then she got pregnant from a powerless Soul ... infected by the biggest disease within his city walls. But this wasn't the time to talk about that, even though it hurts to admit this, he needed her right now. 'Of course I remember you!' Heecheol said. 'What are you doing out on the streets in a dangerous night like this?'

'I heard a lot of noise just outside my house ... when I looked through my window I saw an horse with a dead body on it!' Sunny squeaked. 'Do you know who it is?'

Heecheol clenched his fists. This couldn't be happening, Hyungshik wasn't dead yet! He couldn't be dead yet! 'Where is the Choi's house?' Heecheol asked, without answering Sunny's question.

'The Choi's house? It's right around the corner, should I take you there?'

'No, I should be fine if it's around the corner, but thanks anyways.' Heecheol tried to run again, but he had no strength left, he had been running too much, his lungs even started to burn and a stinging pain in his side made him gasp for air.

He finally made it to the house, it felt like he had walked forever to reach it, but when he finally reached the door he was too scared to knock. What if he was too late? What if Hyungsik would already be dead? He shook his head, trying to get rid of all those thoughts. 'H-Hyungsik...'
 

 


A/N: Do... I even dare to show myself after such a long time? ;~; After, what has it been? Almost 2 years ... I updated. What on earth happened in the meantime? A terrible writersblock ... that's what happened. 
I wonder if I even have any readers left! And if I do ... they probably have to reread everything all over again to understand what's going on! *Bows deeply* Sorry sorry sorry! ;~;
No new update promises this time, too scared to fail you all again =( But I just want you all to know that I try sooooo hard to make this fic work! Because I have soooo many idea's ready ~ and for the people that are waiting for Yesung to show up *whispers* He's in the next chapter!!