05

Until This Song Ends

“I never thought that you of all people would drag me out of bed at 8am to go on a hike.” Serena mumbled groggily, fumbling with the many cosmetics scattered on the bathroom counter.

 

“You’re the one who thought it would be a good idea. I’m just holding you to your agreement.” Leina replied from the doorway. She was dressed in a loose tank top and exercise tights, hair tied up in a high ponytail.

 

“You couldn’t have at least worn something cuter?” Serena asked, giving her a disappointing sweep in the large mirror.

 

“We’re going hiking, what did you want me to wear, a dress?”

 

“No. Well maybe. You’re trying to make a good impression aren’t you?”

 

“On who?” Leina scoffed.

 

Serena raised an eyebrow and shot Leina a look that she knew meant: you know who.

 

“We are friends. That’s it. We are going on a hike with a group of guys that we are friends with. That’s all.”

 

“If you say so.” Serena laughed, going back to her makeup.

 

“Get dressed.” Leina replied, rolling her eyes and throwing a towel at Serena.

 

“So you’re really telling me there are no other reasons for agreeing to go on a hike with people you barely know?” Serena asked, emerging from the bathroom and rummaging through a drawer in her large dresser. Leina was sure Serena had enough clothes to start her own store.

 

“What other reason would I have?” Leina replied, laying on Serena’s bed.

 

“Oh I don’t know, something that starts with a ‘Sung’ and ends in ‘Gyu’?”

 

Leina groaned. Why was Serena being so persistent about him?

 

“He’s friends with Dongwoo, who we’re friends with, who invited us to go on a hike. It all sounds pretty innocent to me Rena.”

 

“Really? Because from where I’m standing it sounds like something you would avoid at all costs, and yet you agreed without even having to be convinced. I suspect an ulterior motive, of the male variety.” Serena stated, pulling her hair up into a bun. Despite her criticism, she wore similar clothes, grabbing a pair of pink sneakers from the shoe racks stacked along one side of her closet, or as Leina referred to it, the shoe wall.

 

“Shut up and grab your jacket.” Leina snapped, pulling on a green army jacket as she headed out the door.

 

Serena chuckled, watching as Leina dashed out the door. She know Leina would never lie to her, so it was probably easier for her to leave than to try and figure out what she was feeling. There was a possibility, she admitted that Leina really did just want to make friends. Considering her behavior recently though, it seemed more likely that something was making her act differently, and she hoped that something would be Kim Sunggyu. Even though she knew Leina and Eli were in love, she had grown to dislike Eli and his ability to hurt her best friend without even noticing. Sunggyu could be her fresh start, and if there was anything she knew, it was that Leina deserved a fresh start.

 

“Are you coming or not?!” Leina yelled.

 

“Keep your pants on, I’m coming!” She laughed in response, grabbing her jacket off the back of a chair and running out to join Leina.




 

“Hey, you made it!” Dongwoo exclaimed, throwing up his arms in welcome as Leina and Serena stepped out of the car.

 

“What, did you think we would stand you up?” Serena chuckled, hitting him lightly in the arm.

 

“Maybe just a little.” He replied, shooting a sideways glance at Leina. She rolled her eyes but didn’t comment.

 

They joined the group of Dongwoo’s friends, all dressed in t-shirts and sweats, standing together by the entrance to the trail.

 

“Well look who it is.” Sungyeol smirked at Leina, waving her over for a hug. Leina shook her head and smiled. She liked Sungyeol and his carefree manner. He made her feel a little less awkward, which she was grateful for, since Sunggyu was standing not two feet away from him.

“Sunggyu.” Leina nodded at him quietly. “Nice to see you again.”

 

Sunggyu laughed, “That was the most awkward hello I’ve ever gotten.”

 

Leina crossed her arms and frowned. “Was I supposed to jump for joy?”

 

“Why, are you that excited to see me?” Sunggyu smirked.

 

“In your dreams, pretty boy.” Leina smirked, instinctively moving back toward Sungyeol, who was laughing at this exchange. Serena shot a mildly horrified but mostly surprised look in her direction. She wasn’t used to hearing Leina talk to people that way.

 

“So, where are we hiking to?” Leina asked, directing her attention to anyone but Sunggyu in an attempt to hide her flushed cheeks.

 

“There’s a waterfall up this trail. Its not a long hike.” One of Sunggyu’s friends replied. Woohyun was it?

 

“Sounds like fun.” Serena replied, draping an arm over the youngest one. She seemed to have taken a liking to him, and there didn’t seem to be any complaints coming from him.

 

“Shall we?” The one Leina recognized as Hoya asked, leading them up the trail with Dongwoo at his side.

 

“You all seem to be really good friends.” Leina commented, watching as everyone made their way up the trail.

 

“You sound surprised.” Sungyeol replied.

 

“How did you all meet?” Leina replied quickly, trying to cover a blush spreading over her cheeks.

 

“We all moved to the city in high school. Woohyun and I went to the same school,” Sunggyu answered, gesturing over to Woohyun, “Sungyeol, Sungjong and Dongwoo we met in college. Hoya and L we met through mutual friends and work.”

 

“L?” Leina asked, struggling to keep her breath steady.

 

“He’s another friend. He had to work, but I’m sure you’ll meet him soon.”

 

“Are you?” Leina raised an eyebrow. Sunggyu smiled and pulled out a water bottle.

 

“Here.”

 

Leina looked at the bottle in his hands. She didn’t realize how out of breath she was.

 

“Thank you.” She replied hesitantly, taking the bottle. She was suspicious of his kind gesture, but her body needed the water more than it wanted to protest.

 

“Not much of a hiker?” Sunggyu asked, doing his best to hide the teasing tone in his voice.

 

“I’m more of an office kind of person.” She replied, taking a deep breath.

 

“More of a bar kind of person?” he joked, unfazed by the glare she shot in his direction.“We’re almost there, don’t worry.” He smiled, patting her reassuringly on the back.

 

“Lei! Come hear this story Dongwoo has, its so funny!” Serena called between laughs.

 

Leina smiled and joined her, listening as Dongwoo recounted an embarrassing escapade in college where he lost his pants after a night of drinking and ended up sleeping in the common room in his boxers. Leina laughed, enjoying the carefree atmosphere and the light breeze.

 

They approached a large wooden platform facing toward a pool of glistening water, and above it a powerful waterfall spilling into it.

 

“Oh.” Leina said quietly, looking up at the waterfall, watching as the water plummeted down the side and fell into a cloud of mist at the bottom. Serena came over and linked their arms, smiling.

 

“She always did have a thing for water. Its great isn’t it?”

 

Leina smiled and nodded, breathing in the smell of Earth and water mixing together. It felt so peaceful here, like nothing was out of balance. Serena was right, she always did have a thing for water. No matter what, she couldn’t help but feel calm and peaceful when she was near something like this. It was her favorite place to be.

 

“Its beautiful.” Leina said, grabbing on to the rail and leaning over to look at her reflection in the glistening pool of water. Sunggyu chuckled to himself, leaning on the railing next to her. “It is.”

 

“Wow,” Woohyun said, “You guys really like waterfalls huh?” He laughed, nudging Sungyeol. The group of boys joined in the chorus of laughter and before long someone had brought out a selfie stick, insisting that they take a group picture. They huddled together and Sungyeol held the stick out above them, capturing the group and the shimmering waterfall behind them. Leina found herself caught between Serena and Sunggyu, slowly being pressed closer and closer together as they tried to get the most flattering angle. The lack of space caused Leina to erupt in a nervous giggle, further interrupting the process as it infected others in the group. All of a sudden the guys were making jokes and taking ridiculous pictures, laughing like children. Leina’s face was bright red from laughter when they finally decided it was time to head back.

 

“This was a great idea.” Serena said, once again attached to Dongwoo. He smiled and nodded in agreement.

 

“We should definitely hang out again,” Woohyun agreed, arm strung around Sunggyu, “once we get back we’ll plan something.”

 

“Get back?” Leina asked curiously, walking alongside Sungyeol.

 

“These two have a hot date.” Sungyeol laughed.

 

Leina felt herself tense up. What did he mean, ‘hot date’?  Woohyun laughed and Sunggyu smiled, although Leina was sure she saw a slight blush creep across his face.

 

“What?” Serena asked, voicing her confusion.

 

“With each other,” Sungyeol laughed again, “they’re going to a wedding in Los Angeles.”

 

“Oh well that’s just adorable. Do you have matching suits?” Serena asked with a coy smile.

 

“As a matter of fact we do.” Woohyun retaliated, tightening his arm around Sunggyu who shot him a glare.

 

“Sounds like fun.” Leina gave a small smile.

 

“Its not a long trip, just a few days,” Sunggyu replied, “its for business.”

 

Leina looked at him curiously. She didn’t peg him as someone who came from money, but not being one of those people herself, she couldn’t be sure. Only important businesses would send someone overseas for a wedding.

 

“Business?” Serena chimed in again.

 

“The bride’s father is a business partner,” Woohyun explained, “we’re attending for our companies.”

 

Leina nodded. She had attended a few weddings with Eli before his father banned her from social functions. She was an embarrassment according to him, and in an effort to cause less problems she and Eli had agreed to keep their relationship private.

 

“Well, try not to get too sunburnt.” Leina said, smiling politely. Sunggyu looked at her with mild amusement. She was always polite and proper, but he could sense a playfulness hidden just behind the perfect smile.

 

“And don’t feed the hobos.” Serena added, looking at Leina. They both burst into laughter at the memory.

 

“This sounds like a story we need to hear.” Hoya chimed in.

 

“Well-” Serena began, only to be interrupted by her cell phone ringing, followed by Leina’s. They both looked at each other before quickly grabbing their phones.

 

“Problem at the office?” Sungyeol joked.

 

“There’s always a problem at the office.” Leina replied, scrolling through 6 text messages from Hannah, her secretary. The hiking trail didn’t have great reception it seemed.

 

“There’s an emergency meeting, something about a major accident.” Serena added, talking more to herself than to the rest of the group.

 

“Do you two work together?” Hoya asked, raising an eyebrow at them.

 

“No.” They both replied, engrossed in their phones.

 

“We have to go.” Leina said, quickly putting away her phone and reaching for Serena. She nodded with a sigh.

“Just as well, your story sounded boring.” Sungyeol joked.

 

“Now you’ll never know.” Serena shot back with a coy smile.

 

“We really have to go,” Leina interjected, “This was great. Have a safe trip.” She added, waving toward Woohyun and Sunggyu, and dragging Serena toward the car.

 

“Let’s do it again some time!” Sunggyu called after them.

 

Serena managed a wave back before Leina pulled her into the car. She always did have a tendency to make work a priority.

 

“We could’ve said goodbye first.”

 

“I have a meeting in 20 minutes. I don’t have time for goodbye.”

 

Serena crossed her arms and pursed her lips, “Well at least Sunggyu made you blush.”

 

“I did not blush!” Leina replied, a little louder than she intended to.

 

“You’re blushing now.”

 

Leina didn’t answer. She felt heat rising in her cheeks. She just hoped Serena would drop it. Truthfully, she had blushed at Sunggyu’s loud suggestion that they spend time together again. He probably didn’t mean anything by it, but something in his tone made her blush. She would never admit that to Serena though. She would never let her live it down.

 

“Let’s just get to work.”