04

Until This Song Ends
"Friends?" Leina heard Serena say through the Bluetooth of her car.
 
"What was I supposed to say?" Leina mumbled in response. She fidgeted in her pencil skirt uncomfortably; Serena was making this a bigger deal than it needed to be.
 
"Well I guess it can't be helped. You are still with Eli, technically speaking."
 
Leina sighed. She didn't want to even ask what her friend meant by 'technically'.
 
"It's the best I can do. Sunggyu seems nice and since you've befriended Dongwoo, I thought it would be prudent to at least be on good terms with all of them."
 
"You say that like the rest of Dongwoo's friends are the same as Sunggyu." Serena half laughed.
 
"Just friends Rena." She replied sternly. "I'm not planning on that changing anytime soon."
 
"Alright, no need to use your grown up voice Lei. Just remember to expect the unexpected with me."
 
Leina shook her head. "I'll talk to you later Rena, it's time to go be a grown up."
 
"Sounds thrilling. Bye doll." Serena laughed before the phone clicked off.
 
Leina smiled at Serena’s attitude, leaving her car and heading into the building.She nodded at the receptionist and scanned her ID at the elevator. Working for an accounting firm was in no way the big career she had dreamed up for herself as a child, but somehow she figured living off of this would be easier than trying to be a ballerina. She worked hard to get to where she was, and she did her best to find ways to enjoy her job.
 
“Good morning Hannah,” she greeted her assistant who handed her a cup of coffee, “Any messages?”
 
“Yes, your two o’clock meeting has been pushed back to three, and Mr. Cho asked to see you after his lunch meeting.”
 
“Did he say what about?” Leina asked, walking into her office and looking over a stack of papers.
 
“A new project management is starting. I think they want you to take lead.” Hannah smiled.
 
Leina looked up at her, seeing the excitement in her assistant’s eyes. She admired Hannah’s ability to stay positive.
“Well that would be something, wouldn’t it?” Leina returned the smile, taking her daily itinerary from Hannah. She bowed politely, and left the office, closing the door behind her.
 
Leina put down the folder and picked up her coffee, turning in her plush armchair to look out the window. She knew she should be more excited about the possibility of landing a project manager position, but somehow the prospect of a promotion lost its excitement when she had no one to share it with. Or in her case, she couldn’t share it with who she wanted to share it with. It seemed like every aspect in her life was doing well, except her love life. She felt a pang of longing in her chest at the thought of Eli.
 
There was no reason to get upset she decided, because her career and her love life were two different worlds that shouldn’t affect each other. That’s what she and Eli had decided when they graduated college. She looked back at the photo on her desk of Eli and her dressed in graduation gowns. It had only been a year since that photo was taken, and somehow it felt like a lifetime had passed.
 
She closed her eyes and laid her head against the chair, counting her breaths. One: I miss you. Two: I love you. Three: How am I supposed to manage a project? Four: I have so much work to do. Five: Kim Sunggyu
 
Her eyes snapped open as the last thought entered her mind. Why was she thinking of him? She tilted her head, deciding it was too early to let things like him consume her thoughts. She took a sip of her coffee, and turned back to the mountain of documents on her desk.


 
“So? How’d it go?” Serena asked as Leina walked into the cafe, looking flushed from walking.
 
“They asked me to head up a new project for an advertising firm.” Leina replied with a slight laugh, embracing her friend.
 
“That’s so great Lei!” Serena exclaims, clapping her hands together in front of her face, eyes shining with delight. Leina had been working hard, and it was about time she earned a little recognition for everything she did.
 
“Well, don’t get too excited Rena,” Leina began, sitting down, “I haven’t accepted it yet.”
 
Serena let out a heavy sigh, shoulders falling in disappointment, and said, “What do you mean?”
 
“I don’t know if I want to take up a new project.” Leina responded calmly, expecting an outburst from Serena.
 
“Why not? You’re great at your job! You’ve worked so hard for this.” Serena responds, shaking her head lightly.
 
“I’m not interested in the promotion. I don’t know if I want work to take up more of my life.”
 
Serena looked at her friend intently. There was only one reason she could think of for why Leina wouldn’t want work to take over her life. Eli. It had to be him, because she had always prided herself on working hard to get where she needed to be. She was quiet and respectful, but she wasn’t a pushover and she was ambitious. Saying she didn’t want the promotion suggested she was afraid of it getting in the way of something, and judging from the way her relationship was going, Serena could only assume Leina was afraid of creating an even greater wedge between her and Eli.
 
“He would want you to take the position Lei.” Serena spoke finally, speaking as gently as she could. It was frustrating to see her best friend in this situation.
 
Leina let out a pained chuckle, and replied, “I know.”
 
“Please,” Serena said, reaching out across the table and taking Leina’s hand, “think of yourself for once. This is what’s best for you.”
 
Leina sighed and squeezed her hand. She knew what Serena was saying made sense, but she had the hope that maybe if she chose Eli over work, something would change. Maybe she needed to remind him he was still a priority in her life.
 
“Listen to me Leina. He lives for his company. He’s under pressure to become Director soon. Nothing you can do will change that. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t love you--I’m sure he does--but right now isn’t the time for this. Do what you need to for yourself. You and Eli will work out when the time is right.”
 
Leina looked up to meet Serena’s gaze. How did Serena know her so well? Sometimes it was like Serena could read her mind. She was right, of course. Waiting for Eli was like waiting for rain in the middle of a drought; she could hope all she wanted but the chances were slim.
 
“Alright,” Leina replied with a sigh, “I’ll think about it again.”
 
Serena gave her a small smile, and wrapped both hands around Leina’s.
 
“Why do you girls look so serious?” A voice called, drawing both of their attention. Dongwoo stood with Sunggyu and a tall man with short brown hair. Leina recognized him as one of Dongwoo’s friends from the bar, but couldn’t remember his name.
 
“Oh Dongwoo, you came.” Serena said and smiled. Leina didn’t know Dongwoo would be here, but she guessed from the way Serena greeted them that she had invited him. “Take a seat.”
 
Dongwoo nodded with a smile, sitting next to Leina while his friend took the seat next to Serena.
 
“This is Sungyeol,” Dongwoo gestured toward his friend, “Sungyeol, this is Serena, and you remember Leina?”
 
Sungyeol smiled at Serena before turning to Leina, and twisting his smile into a smirk.
 
“Its nice to see you again.”
 
“You too.” Leina returned the smile. Sungyeol seemed genuinely kind, although the smirk he aimed at Leina made her shift uncomfortably. He laughed playfully, and Leina loosed a little; he was trying to joke with her.
 
“So what brings you here?” Leina spoke, trying to make conversation.
 
“I invited them to join us.” Serena answered with a grin, “I thought it would be nice.”
 
“We also wanted to see if you two were busy this weekend.” Dongwoo continued, glancing over at Sungyeol.
 
“Why?” Leina asked, raising an eyebrow in surprise. She hoped it whatever it was didn’t involve anymore clubs.
 
“We wanted to invite you on a hike with us,” Sungyeol explained, “Sunggyu and Woohyun are leaving for California next week, so we figured a day out would be fun.”
 
“Serena you said you needed pictures for an article for your magazine right? It would be the perfect opportunity. Its not as glamorous as clubbing I have to admit, but its a lot of fun.” Dongwoo said.
 
“It does sound nice,” Serena responded with a nod, looking over at Leina, “it would be nice to hike with friends.
 
Leina caught the reference she was making to Sunggyu, as did Sungyeol she guessed, because he let out a laugh, not bothering to hide it from them. Had Sunggyu been talking about her? A surge went through Leina, but she suppressed it and shot a glare in Serena’s direction. It was only half-hearted though, because she knew Serena was once again right.
 
“Hiking sounds great.” Leina finally said with a smile, clasping her hands together in her lap.
 
Serena raised an eyebrow, a little surprised by how quickly Leina agreed.
 
“Great.” Dongwoo smiled, “I’ll let everyone know.”