00

Until This Song Ends

 

"Where are you taking me?!" she pouted tugging at his hands covering her eyes. 

"It's a surprise! I promise you it'll be great!" he replied with a smile on his face. 

"I dislike not knowing where I'm going." she muttered.

"Shh, just trust me." he whispered in her ear and kissed her cheek. 

She was still uneasy but she quieted down, letting him lead her. 

She was supposed to trust him right?

"Surprise~" he sang, uncovering her eyes. 

It took a second for her eyes to adjust. When they finally did, she stood wide eyed. 

They were inside an abandoned building, one that had been marked for demolition weeks before. The roof had been removed long before, and the walls were crumbling. 

And yet, it was the most beautiful place she had seen. 

There were candles and little lights everywhere, giving the room a warm glow. There was a table with a single rose floating in a bowl of water in the middle, more candles, and a meal for 2. The most fascinating part was the stars twinkling above their heads. 

"It's beautiful." she whispered. "That's one hell of a view..." she mumbled more to herself than to anyone else.

"Amazing." he agreed, looking only at her. 

She turned and met his gaze. His face darkened from embarrassment, and he quickly turned away. 

"You hungry?" he asked nervously. 

She laughed at his attitude.

"If you cooked, then I'm starving!"

"Then feast away!" he took her hand in his and lead her to the table, pulling the chair out for her like a gentleman.

They ate together, talking about anything and everything they could think of. They never seemed to run out of things to talk about, always thankful for the others presence. 

"I love the moonlight tonight." she smiled looking up and the bright orb illuminating the night sky. "We should dance!" she exclaimed as the idea popped into her head.

"B-but I don't dance!" his eyes widened as his nerves overtook his body again. 

"Come on, please?" she gave him the cutest look she could manage.

“I’m content with just being here with you.” He smiled sweetly at her.

She felt her face heat at his words.

“You’re so sweet.” She laughed in response.

“Well, you make it so easy.” He replied, looking at her with eyes full of sincerity.

She didn’t really know what to say. Somewhere inside, she didn’t want to believe him. Her instincts were telling her this wasn’t going to last long. Yet her heart wanted her to live with whatever chance she had of being with him, to believe him and let whatever was going to happen, happen. Her heart wanted him to-

“I love you.” He whispered to her, lacing his fingers with hers and looking at her in the pale glow of the moonlight.

Love her. That’s what her heart wanted to hear. Even when she tried so desperately to cling on to reality and stay away from anything that could end up hurting her, she knew her heart had won this one.

She couldn’t bring herself to say anything. In fact, in that moment it was all she could manage to breathe. She was frozen, happy and fearful all at once.

He didn’t let her attitude stop him. He had surprised her he knew, so her surprised face was nothing he hadn’t expected.

He didn’t need her to say anything. All he needed to know was the she felt something.

He leaned across the table slowly, pressing his forehead against hers, touching noses with her, until finally his lips connected with hers.

As soon as his lips touched hers, she knew the war was won. She couldn’t resist him.

She kissed him back, letting herself get lost in the emotion being shared by both of them.

They were in love, even if they couldn’t be sure just how long they would be this way.

As she pulled away, she decided to give in and see how long this feeling would last.

“I love you too.” She whispered in the dim light, smiling widely.