the cold hard truth

"The heir"

‘That night

Eunmi’s POV Ugh! I can’t sleep. Why was that Seung Gi so strange today??’ It was like an indirect answer when she received a text message from Seung Gi at 3:48 am that read ‘meet me at my house. We need to talk.’ Eunmi responded, ‘where do you live?’ 15 minutes later she received an answer ‘you know where I live.’ Eunmi’s heart just stopped. ‘Omo he knows that I’ve been spying on him! Maybe he wants to talk about not seeing each other anymore! Oh te gae?’ She puts the pillow on her face to let out a scream so no one will hear her. (end)

The next morning Eunmi arrived nervously at Seung Gi’s house. It was difficult to read his face expression. He just had a blank stare. It also looked like he also hasn’t been sleeping. They sat down. Eunmi’s guilty conscience (who knew she had one?) got the best of her “I can explain!’ Her eyes were wide open in fear. Seung Gi slightly puts his head down,” I don’t think you could.” Eunmi wanted to cry. She put her head on the table and began to get teary eyed.

 Seung Gi’s POV she’s cute when she cries (end)

Seung Gi was a bit confused by her reaction but cut straight to the point. “Thanks for coming. I know it was short notice.” Eunmi wiped her tears away and looks at Seung Gi confused. “I just have something hidden…scratching in my heart and I have no one to tell. I feel like you would understand me the most because you are an orphan too. First, this is not my boss’s house, this is..WAS..my dad’s house. He adopted me when I was 7 and cared for me until his death a couple years ago. He left everything to me. I have never in my life felt like I was deserving of all these things. It happened so fast. I grew up with nothing and suddenly this great person shows up in my life, loves me and leaves me with everything as his heir. He had no wife and no biological kids, just me". Eunmi reaches over to Seng Gi’s shoulder and rubbed it. “You deserve it, if you didn’t he wouldn’t have left it to you.” He looked at her with anger in his eyes. “How do you know? I mean..truly know??? He had no one else. Just me. He didn’t have a choice.” Again, Eunmi tried to reassure him,”I know because he loved you and he cared for you, you were deserving of his love, to be his family, his son, and deserving of everything this world has to offer.” Seung Gi wiped a tear from his eye and calms down. Then he continued, “Yesterday was the 2 year anniversary of his death. I know I was distant with you but I just miss him. Even with everything he left to me, I feel so..alone. I started drinking and I finally had the courage to clean his office. I went through his belongings and began to pack them up for safekeeping. I wasn’t expecting to find..his journal. It wasn’t just one journal. There were two and a half boxes of handwritten journals since he was 17 years old. I began to read them, there is so much about him that I didn’t know. He was such a good person and I’d be lucky to be half the man he was. The journals weren’t in order so I started to put them together. When I picked one of them up something caught my eye. At age 27 August 1992 he learned that he has a 5 year old son. But the boy’s mother was a terrible woman. I remember him telling me about her when I was in grade school. He mentioned her name so many times in anger especially, when he drank. I will never forget her name, Choi SuBin. After I read it, I closed the journal immediately". Seung Gi paused for a moment. “All my life, I thought I was the only one, that my dad didn’t have a family. Even when he knew, he denied them. I want to understand why, but I am afraid to understand it. How can he do that to his own son yet, give his love to me? I don’t deserve it. I don’t deserve any of this. I have to find the woman who broke his heart to find the one and true son. I must return all of this to it’s rightful owner". Seung Gi looked determined. Eun Mi became angry at Seung Gi “If you give it all away, then you will have nothing! Are you a fool?” Seung Gi was surprised, “This..” he had both his arms out and looks around the room, “this..isn’t mines to keep. Understand that Eunmi. I am stealing from an innocent person.” Eun Mi’s eyes came from furious to vulnerable, “Then, what will happen to you?” Seung Gi shrugs his shoulder,” I will live.”

Eun Mi goes back home.

POV: Exciting to know he is rich and at my level, definitely my type but devastating to know that what he will not be the same when we find this other guy. He will be poor…and I still like him. What is wrong with you heart????(end)

Seung Gi POV: I have to find you. I won’t be able to live with myself. Appa would’ve wanted this. This is the right thing to do.