Movement II

The Unspoken Secret

 

The next day, kris sits by the school track field with his lunch, still reveling over his victory earlier.

“Hey.”

He nearly chokes when he hears the voice that comes out of nowhere. He swore he was the only one on his side of the field.

“You’re going to give me a heart attack one day, I’m certain of it,” he grumbles but conceals a smile.

Tao snorts. “I’m pretty sure you’re just overreacting.” He eyes the messy crumbs splayed out all over Kris’s shirt. "Hungry now, aren’t we?”

“Super hungry. It seems like you tend to scare people from behind,” Kris says through a mouthful of bread and tries not to spray crumbs all over the place.

“That’s because I like your back,” Tao says, and he has a hard time figuring out if he was kidding or not. Then, out of the blue: “Your piano playing was pretty good yesterday.”

The statement comes as a surprise to Kris. He had scanned through the crowd countless times for Tao yesterday but to no avail. “You came? I didn’t see you there,” Kris says.

“Of course, I just didn’t want to distract you.”

….Was that a taunt in his voice?

“Whatever,” he says and winks. “Even all the hotties there didn’t distract me. I kept playing just as smoothly.”

For a while, Tao doesn’t say anything. “Why’d you compete yesterday anyway?” He finally asks. His voice is unusually quiet.

“Heh.” Kris gives him another wink. “It’s an unspeakable secret.”

Tao shoves him, and he almost drops his sandwich.

“Hey, Kris!” Kris looks up to see Chanyeol waving at him from across the field. “Baekhyun and I are forming a band,” he says as he approaches. “Since your playing was so good yesterday, we’ve kept a spot for you. Whaddya think?”

“Sure, sounds alright with me,” He says.

Baekhyun grins. “Great! You’ve better keep your word now.”

“What’s all this about keeping your word?”

Kris cringes. “M-morning, dad.”

The disciplinary teacher strides up and grabs his sandwich. “Does this look like a place to eat? Do you run in a restraint?” He gestures wildly at the field.

“No…sorry, won’t happen again.” Out of the corner of his eye he sees Tao sipping around the building wall.

“Why are your clothes all wrinkled?” Mr. Wu demands at Baekhyun, and he hastily reaches down to tuck in his shirt. “And what’s this? You think you’re some kind of rock star?” He points to Baekhyun’s rhinestone studded belt with a disgusted expression.

Baekhyun turns red. “No sir,” He mumbles.

“And you!” Chanyeol jumps at his booming voice. Kris wants to die in embarasement. “If you don’t cut your hair by tomorrow, I’ll cut it for you!”

“B-but Baekhyunnie likes it this way…” Chanyeol says as he tugs on his curly, tangled mess of hair.

“ ‘Baekhyunnie’ Likes this androgynous look?”

“Well he likes pulling on it while we-“ Chanyeol suddenly shuts his mouth at the wide-eyed look Baekhyun gives him. “-nevermind. I apologize, sir.”

Mr. Wu stares at the two for a long time but finally barks, “10 laps, both of you. And be grateful that I’m not taking off points for unmannerly dresswear!”

“Dad,” Kris groans after Baekhyun and Chanyeol job off. “Why do you have to be so embarrassing…”

Mr. Wu has a look on his face like he’s been offended. “Embarrasing? I am nothing of that sort. Why, I’m simply doing my job.”

Kris rolls his eyes and turns to look for Tao before a lecture can start up again. “Whatever.”

“Wait right there,” Mr. Wu says and catches his arm, stopping him. “What kind of friends are those? I raised you better than this.
 

Kris rolls his eyes again. “It’s fine, dad. I’ll be careful, I’m not six anymore.” He heads toward the general direction of where he thinks Tao went before his father has a chance to argue again.

As he rounds the corner of the building, Kris catches a small movement out of the corner of his eye. Quickly, he throws his arms up in a protective stance.

“You-you were going to scare me, weren’t you?” He accuses as Tao slides out from behind a pillar.

“Maybe.” He eyes Chanyeol and Baekhyun, who are still circling laps. “Are those two really your friends?”

Kris sighs. The last thing he needed was another overprotective nagging father. “Of course. Why wouldn’t they be?” 

Tao shrugs. “It’s just they don’t really look like people who’d be your friends”

“Well, I don’t really look like your friend either.”

Tao shoots an accusing glare at him “Excuse me?”

“Only because I’m so ordinary and you’re so special,” Kris laughs.

He expects Tao to laugh along with the joke, but to his surprise he remains silent, staring at the floor. “How can that be…I think you’re really special.” His voice suddenly grows soft. “I thought you were incredible the moment I saw you.”

Kris freezes. For a moment, he thinks he’s misheard Tao.

“R-really?” He manages to say. “If you think of me as a friend, then why are you so mysterious?”

Tao smirks. “If you can catch me, I’ll tell you.” And before Kris can even comprehend what he was saying, he runs off. It takes Kris a while to grab hold of his senses, and he sprints after Tao, into the building, through winding hallways, and past empty classrooms, not caring if he was disrupting classes.

What the heck is up with this kid?

After endless zigzaging paths, Tao finally bursts through the doors of the piano room where he collapses on the piano bench, laughing while gasping for air. Kris plops down next to him, panting.

“I’ve...caught...you now,” Kris says while trying to regain his breath. “I…should deserve a reward, don’t you think?”

Tao ponders on the question. “Alright, fair enough.”

“Play a song for me,” Kris says and places Tao’s hands on the piano. “I’ve never heard you play.” And, to be honest, he’s been dying to hear him play.

After what seems like eternity, Tao finally lifts her fingers. Kris feels his breath being drawn out of him as Tao moves across the keyboard, fingers with perfect poise.

Kris has never heard anyone play this gracefully before. Sure, Tao’s skill level might not be too high, but his styling was perfect and beyond words. His phrasing brought the notes to life, almost made the notes sound as if they were telling a story- some ancient, long forgotten story.

It takes a while for Kris to remember how to move his muscles.  Like in a trance, he places his fingers on the keyboard too. It seems like they moved out of their own accord. And effortlessly, he adds his own harmony under Tao’s beautiful story. He smiles, and Kris can’t help but to smile too. Together the two lines blends into one extraordinary tale.

But there is something lingering in the back of his mind. A repetitious beat outside the captivating music…was it someone practicing their drums? Or maybe someone knocking on a distant door?

No…if anything, the sound is getting closer. Almost like…like-

“Someone’s coming down the stairs!” Tao hisses suddenly. He leaps up, quickly flinging open and jumping into the door of the tall empty cabinet Baekhyun and Chanyeol hid in.

Kris is startled by Tao’s sudden movement, but before he can get up the door behind him creaks open.

“That’s weird.”

Kris spins around and sees his music theory teacher at the doorway. “I swear I distinctly heard a duet in here. How come it’s only you?”

Kris shrugs, deciding to play along with Tao’s act. “I was probably playing so quickly you thought there were two people here.” Out of the corner of his eye he sees Tao shift slightly in the cabinet.

It’s too late when Kris realizes the teacher has seen the flicker of his eyes. Swiftly he crosses the room and yanks the cabinet door open, revealing a wide-eyed Tao.

“Teenagers,” He glares. “Planning more mischevious activities, are you? I’ve delt with enough of those this past week.” He looks disgusted. “You’re a good student, Kris. I know you are. Just continue practicing and I’ll pretend like I saw nothing!” He sighs and heads for the door.

“You see, as long as I’m at the top of the class it doesn’t matter,” Kris says after his teacher leaves. “What was that all about anyway?”

“My teachers don’t really like me. I prefer to keep away from them.”

The answer comes too quick. Kris pushes down the strange feeling in his gut and asks, “How can teachers dislike someone who plays so wonderfully?”

Tao shrugs. “I’m alright.” He’s been staring at the opposite wall the whole time, and Kris sees that on it hangs a portrait of Chopin, along with another woman.

“Hey…” Tao murmurs.

“Hm?”

“Chopin and his lover were together for ten years…”

Kris tries to recall his notes of Chopin. “Yeah, but weren’t they separated in the end?”

“But ten years is already a long time to stay together, if you think about it.” There’s a far off look in Tao’s eyes, and Kris decides not to push further. He suddenly notices the hint of...sadness, was it?...that is  in Tao’s unreadable gaze. He suddenly looks a lot older than he is, the dark bags under his eyes standing out more than ever before.

“’Cmon, let’s get you home,” Kris says softly after a long minute of silence. Tao gives a tiny nod, and they walk together they walk into the afternoon sun.

-------

Hey guys ^^ sorry for those of you who were waiting for my really late update >.< I was on a long vacation and right when I came back my computer got a virus. Anyway, please subscribe or comment and let me know what you think!~