I Open at the Close

I Open at the Close

They referred to him as a Prodigy, a boy that had taken the world by storm, but Minseok merely viewed himself as another sick individual with not much time left in the world of the living. He had given up his fight with his seemingly terminal disease many years ago, and in retrospect, that would be his biggest annoyance, not living with the life he had. Doctors called him an amorous miracle with soft, plump cheeks of a child and fingers that could weave magic in the form of paintings that displayed cities, families, and happiness. To say Minseok was happy was an anomaly; he was neither joyous nor unhappy, he was just there. Going through the motions had become easy after Minseok realized he would have to accept his fate. His nurses could give him little comfort, his doctor’s words of encouragement falling on deaf ears. The truth was so simple that Minseok felt even more annoyed when people attempted to raise his spirits. He was going to die, they knew it, and he knew it, so why couldn’t he just die in some sort of purgatory version of peace?

It was all Minseok truly wanted.

To die a death with no regrets, no hesitation.

Then, he met Chen.

~

The night sky lit up vibrantly as the fireworks showered over the city with grand color schemes and figures. A male young in image, yet old in mind sat propped up against a few fluffy pillows, taking in the sight of the brilliant colors from his hospital window. His room was dark in physicality and in aura, the lights from the outside being the only aid for Minseok to see, not that he needed it. He had stayed in that very room, that same bed, for an innumerably long time so even without the use of his eyes; he would be hyperaware of the layout by which his room stayed and notice the slightest change with his eyes closed. It was not something he was proud of, but Minseok had kept his thoughts clear of everything besides complacent. He willed himself into believing that the fireworks were enjoyable, but he already knew they were as fleeting as an eclipse. They only lasted for a moment before disappearing into the air, their beginning spelling their end. It was stupid, Minseok murmured in his thoughts, his voice a shallow whisper of what it once was. All of it was just-

It intrigued him that he had, in fact, not heard the door to his room open then close, the only indication being provided when the unknown male made his presence obviously known.

“Do you mind if I watch the fireworks from here,” The male asked kindly, and Minseok almost fell into his web until he walked across his room and pushed the chair off to the side by the window, his outline taking up a portion of the night view. Minseok felt his jaw clench, but instantly refrained from yelling. He didn’t want to cause another coughing fit accompanied by blood.

“I don’t know you and you expect me to be okay with this? Get out.” He had always been blunt, having been spoiled as a child, but Minseok had sworn to himself he was passed that. He was an adult, he wasn’t a worked up child begging for candy and throwing a tantrum when he was denied. This person, this boy, had only spoken ten words and Minseok was already feeling the anger rise.

“Mian,” The boy replied good-naturedly, talking as if they were old friends. He turned his upper body away from the dancing sky and towards Minseok’s sullen form, a smile rivaling the sun on his thin lips. Minseok blinked as he took in the face of the stranger, how perfect his features molded to his chiseled face and the way his smile touched his soft brown orbs. In that moment, when their eyes touched from a distance, Minseok felt his chest quake. It had been such a long time since raw emotion ate away at him; it was almost too much to bear.

“I’m Chen,” The male Chen said softly, sending Minseok another sweet smile before turning back and focusing on the location of the fireworks sprinkling the sky like rain drops. Minseok felt his throat tighten, the air around suddenly humming with warmth, his face filling with blood ‘til the point where Minseok knew he was blushing. He shifted uncomfortably in his bed, the new sensation of warmth unsettling. There was something wrong with him, besides being terminally ill, there had to be.

He thought Chen was the most beautiful person he had ever seen.

~

It had been a few days since he first appeared, and Minseok had yet to figure out why Chen sought him out. What was there to gain by spending time with a dying man who held no more purpose to this world? Minseok quickly grew weary of Chen’s company, always questioning his motives day by day. Maybe Chen heard of his vast fortune and wanted money, or maybe he wanted a painting but instead of simply asking, he opted for up. Minseok hadn’t been this emotionally active since his doctor told him his chances of living passed 22 were impossible. He had frozen his need to feel, to sense, and chosen to do nothing. He stopped painting, stopped caring, he even stopped eating his favorite steamed buns. If you’re going to die, Minseok assumed, there is no reason to cherish the life that you had. It will only make it harder to let go.

Minseok sat against his pillows again, staring across his fairly large hospital room to the wall on the other side. One would assume the wall held nothing, an empty blank slate, but they would all be proven wrong. To solidify his stay, Minseok had a few of his paintings sent to the hospital from his abandoned room at home and hung across from him. It was not a way to remember how life used to play out before being diagnosed; Minseok merely wanted something to stare at during the days. The three pieces of artwork were portraits he had painted all in one afternoon back in his first semester of college. They each held ten beautifully talented males and he had one of them paint him in once they were finished. From left to right, Minseok looked over each face, each curve of the chin, glint in the eye, the infectious smiles each face wore, excluding Kris and Kai who simply smirked their way through. Minseok shook his head and looked down, peering into his lap where his small fingers lay. He had been getting paler over the last few days and when he first began to notice the subtle changes, Minseok admitted to himself that he was a little apprehensive.

“Minseokkie,” Chen’s honey-like voice called before the door opened, revealing him in a stylish black jacket, a simply white V-neck revealing his just as perfect collar bone and tight white pants that showed off his leg muscles. In his arms, he carried what Minseok thought looked like an easel. Chen trudged in, that smile he always wore widening still, and set the easel down, leaving hastily only to return with small bottles of paint.

“What do you want Chen? And get that out of here, I don’t paint anymore,” Minseok hissed rudely, ignoring the drop of Chen’s lips. He knew that if he saw that kicked-puppy face, his entire resolve would crack.

“It’s not for you silly,” Chen responded quietly, still sad that he still hadn’t gotten through to Minseok, “It’s for me. I wanted to paint you.” Minseok blinked, the retort on the edge of his tongue shoving itself down his throat.

He wants to . . . paint me?

“B-But . . . why?” It baffled Minseok that Chen wanted to paint him. He was sickly and it was beginning to show. He could barely make it out of bed anymore and each time he attempted to walk, red blotches would taint his skin; his blood vessels were popping. Even his skin resembled the white sheets that surrounded him, paper thin and translucent enough to see veins. His face had lost the baby fat, going into an almost sunken comatose state. Minseok was too ugly to be painted.

“I want you to see what I see.” Chen went to work unpacking his materials, the smell of paint wafting into Minseok’s nose. It smelt familiar and gave Minseok a release. Oh, how he had missed that smell. Chen placed a large canvas on the easel, tilting his head to the side to peek at Minseok. He saw that Minseok had been watching and waved at him. Minseok looked elsewhere, unable to fight the small smile forming. He had yet to fully smile, but Chen was nearing.

“Stay just like that, don’t move an inch.” Now Minseok understood what people meant when they said being a model was hard. His loyalties lied with the other side of the canvas, becoming lost in painting, so being the object of focus felt unnerving and highly uncomfortable. Minseok took deep breaths, keeping as still as possible and listening to the sound of paintbrush meeting canvas. Chen began to hum absentmindedly as he painted, each sure and concise, that sun-kissed smile there. He enjoyed every single moment spent in that room with Minseok, each second he could be in his presence worth every single thing the world could offer.

“Okay, I’m finished,” Chen called out and Minseok instantly relaxed, his shoulders slumping and his back pressing against the pillows he always had behind him. Chen sloppily wrote a small message on the empty bottom portion of the canvas before carefully lifting it up.

“Are you ready to see it?” Minseok nodded his head, not sure of how his voice would say. Chen slowly turned the painting around and showed Minseok his hard work.

Minseok felt his heart stop.

Painted across that canvas was a splash of his room, the wall directly behind him, a frontal view of his bed, and his form sitting up comfortably with the covers pooling at his lap. The painting showed Minseok just as he was a few seconds ago, his head turned away as if he was staring through the window, but Chen made the picture seem alive. Minseok’s skin had become pulsating and flushed with a beautiful light peach shade and his face his face showed all the difference. Minseok felt like he was staring back at a reflection of his face months ago. His cheeks were still plush and cute and not disgusting as they were now, his lips pink and colored in to perfection. His face held true color, and Minseok swore he could feel the warmth, his eyes in the portrait holding something he didn’t. They held life and feeling and Minseok suddenly wished he had all of those things back. Tears pooled in his eyes quickly and spilled over before he had a chance to wipe them away. In the painting, Minseok was smiling. With slightly blurred eyes, Minseok scanned over the terribly written Hangeul.

“You’re beautiful to me.”

“You don’t like it?” Chen asked, confused as to why Minseok had suddenly began crying. He was still not used to such human emotions. He had painted Minseok to make the male happy, not sad. Minseok lost his voice, but shook his head “no.” No, he didn’t like it. He loved it.

~

A month had passed and Minseok had the portrait hung in the center of his room. On days where Chen decided not to visit him, Minseok would sit there, pillows behind his back, and stare at the painting in awe. He never asked Chen about the message scrawled across the bottom, his heart ardent in its want to stay whole. He didn’t want to hear some sort of confession from Chen, because Minseok knew if that did occur he would never want to see Chen again. A healthy person shouldn’t put so much faith in the sick and Minseok simply wanted to escape his own overbearing feelings of want and possession. It was becoming too thick, the heart pounding in his chest almost on the brink of beating for someone else. Minseok had no idea when he had fallen in love with the beautiful male, but he wanted to put a stop to it.

“Minmin,” Chen spoke as he entered, a pair of clothing held beneath his arm, “today, I have a surprise for you!” Minseok rolled his eyes at the nickname Chen attached to him, but not finding the heart to make his smile fall.

“I don’t like surprises.” It was partially the truth.

“But you’ll like this one, I promise.” Chen was persistent and it was becoming harder to resist.

“Fine,” Minseok sighed, slowly sitting himself up. Chen took the clothes from under his arm and set them against the bed, clapping his hands together happily.

“Today, I’m taking you outside. I have something special for you and I think you’re going to like it a lot.” Minseok tried to move, but the action sent a jolt of pain shooting up his back.

“Ahh,” He murmured in pain, his face scrunching up in distaste. Chen quickly ambled over and pressed his hand against Minseok’s back, and suddenly, the pain was gone.

“H-How did you do that?” Minseok asked, knowing fairly well that the pain he experiences is not evanescent.

“I didn’t do anything,” Chen replied a little too quickly for comfort, and Minseok became suspicious. He gave Chen an accusing stare before the male looked away.

“I didn’t. It was probably just motion sickness.” Minseok was no fool.

“I don’t think-“Chen pressed his face forward, invading Minseok’s personal bubble and staring him down with pleading eyes and a jutted out lip.

“Please, you have to. I promise I’ll take care of you.” As odd as Minseok found Chen acting, there was one thing he was certain of.

Chen never lied.

“Now what was this big surprised?” Minseok peered around the crowded shopping center from his vantage point, Chen’s strong, sturdy back. As soon as Minseok had dressed, Chen had him climb on top of his back and refused to let him down. They Chen had been walking around for approximately 15 minutes and Minseok was surprised that he seemed fine. They smoothly moved through the onslaught of stepping bodies, a few odd glances and surprised gasps leaving the onlookers as Chen passed, his hold on Minseok never yielding.

“Don’t worry, we’re almost . . . here.” Minseok broke his gaze away from Chen’s perfect side profile to stare at the sight before him. Chen stood them in front of a rather familiar looking ice-cream shop, though Minseok couldn’t be sure since he hadn’t left the confines of the hospital in months. But the shop isn’t what drew his attention in, it was the seemingly perfect portrait standing before him, all he would have to do is stand in the middle. The reaction of the ten men standing across from him was instantaneous. Chanyeol’s deep voice blurted out Minseok’s arrival, and Baekhyun dashed out ahead to try and be the first to Minseok’s side. As they fought to be the first to touch the once plump male, Chen carefully set Minseok onto his feet, holding him around the waist in case of an accident. Minseok flushed as everyone stopped their movements, smirking at the arm around Minseok. Of course they would never change.

“Exo.”

Chen had brought his friends together.

Minseok faintly felt Luhan and Sehun holding onto him as if they never wanted to release him, and saw Kyungsoo’s wide smile fall before everything faded from gray to black.

Despite the doctor’s orders, Kris and Suho led everyone inside to see their friend. Minseok lay under a thick blanket, sweating cold and his skin a clammy green tinged. It seemed that the overwhelming shock had driven his sickness into the final stages. There was nothing to be done, not a thing anyone could do. Chen stayed back, away from Minseok and his brothers. He gave the bed-ridden male one last longing look before turning and taking his leave. He would be back soon enough to retrieve him. It was his . . . job of sorts.

~

Chen drifted along the empty streets with a distant gaze in his eyes. The cold night air brushed against his sensitive skin, causing him to shiver slightly. He was still new to the feeling of being alive, each breath awe inspiring and cherished. Goosebumps littered his exposed arms and Chen felt the new sensation of tears against his cheeks. Is this what they call crying? Chen sloppily brushed the moisture from his cold cheeks, disliking the sticky sensation left behind. They were right when they said he was far from ready for this kind of assignment. Chen felt his legs stop, the pressure around him becoming heavy, as if the very air had become distorted. Then he felt it, the familiar presence of someone he knew too well.

"We told you that this wasn't exciting Jongdae. What were you expecting?" Chen spun on his heel to face Onew, his manager, to put it lightly. He was also Chen's mentor who trained him.

"Onew. You don't understand." A smile crossed Onew's face, the older male shaking his head in an attempt to reign in his laughter. He had the experience that spanned lifetimes.

"Then care to explain?" Chen allowed Onew to place his shoulder around him in a friendly gesture after they sat on the curb under a dim streetlight.

"I . . . I love him. Everything about him. I don't want to take away this life. Do you know back there, so many people are counting on him? He c-cant die."

"I'm sorry Jongdae, but it's impossible to save him. And isn't this what he wants? To die?" Chen shook his head stubbornly, blocking out Onew's logic.

"I-It’s a cover. He doesn't want to die, I know it. He's scared as hell."

"Jongdae, even if that is the case, the boss said he's on the list. His date of death was documented last week. Now, unless he's been holding on, we know you've been keeping him alive. I have to take you back with me and send Taemin instead." Chen pulled away with a force even he found unable to control. He had never dealt with the human emotion anger, and it boiled hotly through his core.

"I would never break code Hyung! You know that! I didn't, I wanted to heal him so badly, but I didn't! I don't think any of us actually understand what these humans go through before they die! He's in there, he's suffering, and yet, he doesn't want leave everything behind!" Onew closed his eyes, feeling guilt sprout in his chest. He could understand Chen perfectly, but it mattered in the least. Even if Chen felt strong feelings for the human, they could never be together. Those who work in this profession give up the right to feel, to yearn. Onew knew sending in Chen so soon would spell disaster, but he had hoped the young boy could fight the intense emotions humans portray.

"Jongdae, I'm sorry." Chen's jaw tensed.

"Hyung, please. Don-Don't do this to me. I've never experienced this kind of freedom in my existence before. When I'm with him . . . I feel joy, and sadness, and love, and care a-and I know he cares about me too! I can feel it! Why? Why does he have to die when I can save him? I can fix him and h-he'll be good as new!"

"Stop right there Jongdae. It’s one human boy; they die every day. I told you this over and over and you said you understood. I told you being human messes with your better judgment, and you said you could handle it. I sent you here on a simple job, not to play human and fall in love. You can't save him and if you try, boss will know and you will be disgraced! Don't you get it? Stop this nonsense and come home." Chen stood, feeling the impulse to bash Onew into the ground. He refused to leave, not when Minseok needed him.

Not when he needed Minseok.

"I'm not going Hyung. You can tell Boss whatever you want, but I can't. Minseok deserves better than this; if you knew him like I do, then you'd know how amazing he is." Onew stood after the declaration, shoving his hands into his pockets while a sigh left his lips. Chen had always been the stubborn one among the trainees; it wasn’t much of a surprise that he would refuse.

“Are you sure about this? Are you willing to stay here and never come back home? Are you willing to make that sacrifice?”

“It’s easy,” Chen replied, his anger no longer clouding his mind, “I’m already home.” As disappointed as he was, Onew had to smile at the look on Chen’s face.

That Minseok better take care of him.

"Fine, fine. Whatever. I'll handle the boss. Just don't do something stupid and die again, because he'll make sure you work in the office for a very long time." Chen's face split into a childlike smile, his beautiful features lighting up with the realization that he would stay. He would stay with Minseok, as a human. Onew rolled his eyes at the cute face and his heel to leave, glancing over his shoulder for the last.

"And Jongdae," Jongdae focused on Onew and away from the celebration occurring in his thoughts, "Call if you need me. I'll come."

"Thanks Hyung. I owe you." Onew turned back and in a second’s time, vanished from the world of the living. Chen stood in his place, the barren sidewalk trailing down the length of the road and bending around the corner. He felt the smile on his thin lips stretching wider as he his heel and began to run. In the back of his mind, he could feel Minseok's heartbeat, babump, babump, pounding steadily, yet faltering. Chen increased his pace; listening to the heart of the boy he had fallen in love with while directing his feet. A few minutes passed before Chen dashed through the hospital's automated doors. The nurses around the doorway became alarmed as he pushed his way through, heading for the stairs. Elevators simply annoyed him and Chen refused to stay in the small square of space unless in the company of another. The heartbeat reverberated inside the chamber of his mind, encouraging Chen to run faster. Each step drew him closer, his arms pushing open the door to the third floor. He walked through and into the hallway, searching for the door marked E12. Said door called out to him from down the hall, the pulsing becoming louder in his ear. He walked down the hall and with no preparation, opened the door and stepped inside.

~

The room felt cold and lifeless, Minseok's friends having left some time earlier, leaving Minseok's small form to occupy the room alone. He felt the familiar shift in his bones to sit up; those three pillows under his head, but realized he was unable. His time had come and as much as Minseok had wished for this day, his sentiment had changed. He no longer wanted to die so cruel, uncaring and unaffected of those around him. Why did I waste so much time, he wondered, why didn't I appreciate the opportunities given to me while I was sick? Minseok breathed lightly due to the overwhelming haze of pain that hit his chest when he attempted to breathe deeply. He tried his best to keep from moving, from causing physical disruption, from doing anything. Thoughts of time drifted in and out of his mind, how much time did he have left to experience this hell?

"I never saw Chen," Minseok whispered to himself, sadness etched in his voice. In this hour of awakening, Minseok knew his biggest regret would be his endless selfishness towards the one person who seemed to care. Minseok felt too weak to fight it anymore. Chen had somehow fixed what was broken inside of him and made him want to see another day. He made Minseok smile, and laugh, and feel so very beautiful. No matter how much Minseok fought it, he loved Chen, so very much, but he would never know about it. His heart pained him each passing second, the sheer force of will the only thing defying the laws of death itself. In the beginning, Minseok fought for himself. He knew nothing of living, but the thought of dying intrigued him. He cut off all contact with his old life and began anew, an invisible man. But now, now Minseok fought for Chen, for the blossoming love he wanted to keep. His nature refused to let him die.

"Minseok." Minseok felt his chest contract as a hand suddenly ran along his sunken cheek. The pain in his chest decreased as the fingers brushed his sweat drenched bangs away from his eyes. It frightened him that his sense of hearing had failed, but he instantly relaxed once he heard Chen's silky voice close by. He wished he could sit up, as he always did, and say what he held in his heart.

"C-Chen." Simply being able to say the name sent sparks of joy running through Minseok's weak body, Chen's hand finding solace on his cheek.

"Shh, don't worry; I'm going to take care of you." Chen always repeated the loyal phrase before he did something that proved he was perfect. Minseok could barely see past a light film that had shrouded his eyes, but he could still make out the soft look on Chen's face.

"Everything will be okay Minseok, I promise." How he could make such an empty promise, Minseok would’ve smiled if he had the strength. Chen leaned closer, studying Minseok's glistening eyes.

"C-Chen," Minseok whispered, hoping he could be heard, "I h-have to tell you s-something." Chen shook his head, Minseok would kill him if he was not about to die.

"I already know Minseokkie, and I want you to know that nothing will stop me from loving you." Minseok shuddered slightly, and Chen wasted not a second more, swooping down and pressing his lips against Minseok's in a feathery light kiss. The aching pain cradling Minseok's body quickly dispelled, his limbs feeling stronger. His cold sweat dried to burning flesh, his body warming in its entirety. His lips pressed back against Chen's with a new force, his upper torso pushing up and his arms greedily pulling Chen closer by the neck. Minseok was sure Chen was behind this, behind this sudden euphoria building in his chest. As their lips stayed in sync with each other, the need to breathe forgotten, Minseok didn't feel sick anymore. In fact, he had never felt so wonderful, so healthy before in his life. Chen broke their connection, his sweet breath fanning out across Minseok's face, his thumbs moving against Minseok's plush cheeks in a circular motion. They stared at each other with sincerity, the act they committed solidifying their feelings. Minseok pulled Chen back in for another kiss, already wanting more of him, more of the man who used to be a beautiful stranger.

~

"So . . . . You were going to let me die!?" Chen had finished explaining his true purpose, and to his surprise, Minseok found distaste only in the fact that he would have let him die.

"No, I-I would never!" The couple lay curled up in their rather long couch, a blanket strewn across their legs. Minseok attempted to push Chen away, only to fail.

"I can't believe you were going to just let me die, then take my soul! You jerk!" Chen flinched as he succumbed to a flick of the forehead.

"It was my Job; there was nothing I could do. If I had let you live, they would’ve taken me away and made me work in the office for at least a century, and it is not something you would want." Minseok settled back against Chen's fit chest, secretly adoring it to the fullest.

"Then why?" The unanswered question rang through the apartment. Why had Chen disobeyed? Said male peered down at Minseok with a look he easily adapted to. Love.

"I'd loved you since the day we met, when you rudely told me to leave. You were perfect and exotic and I couldn't let anyone take you away. I couldn't let you die when you deserved so much more. So I told my manager Onew that I would stay and take care of you. I don't regret my decision."

"But what about your home? Don't you miss it at all?" Chen shook his head before smiling, his cheeks rising and thin lips stretched prettily.

"When I'm with you, nothing else matters. You are my home." Minseok rolled his eyes at the high dose of affection dripping from Chen's words, his cheeks flushing a light shade of pink.

"Stop saying so many greasy things. It’s disgusting." Chen laughed at his lover’s choice of words and agreed on one condition.

"I'll stop if you kiss me." He puckered up his lips and closed his eyes, patiently waiting. Minseok sighed, Chen would stay in that same position until he received what he wanted. He was much like a young child than a full grown male. Minseok pressed his lips against Chen's, pulling away before a tongue could be forced between his closed lips.

"That wasn't a kiss." Chen dove back in, holding Minseok by the back of the neck and crushing their lips together with bruising force. His tongue slipped from between his lips and pried their way in, Minseok from the contact. He hated it when Chen kissed him like this; he always had urges left unsatisfied when the pretty male pulled away. Just as Minseok settled into the fierce kiss, Chen pulled away, nibbling on Minseok's soft bottom lip as he went. He felt fine, while Minseok fought to catch his breath. His face scrunched up in annoyance once he felt Chen's hands slowly rubbing his sides in a very unfriendly way. He slapped the hands away and found another comfortable place to rest his head. Chen's shoulder was more than enough.

"Before I met you . . . I wanted to die. I wanted to just die and finally be gone, a distant memory. I thought time would eventually leave me forgotten, and that was exactly what I wanted. I had already given up everything that made me happy, my painting, friends, family, and for a while everything felt fine. I felt empty and discarded, a-and that no one truly cared whether I lived or died. Then, you found me and made me feel things I never thought would come to me again. I hated it too."

"You hated me taking care of you? Why? I thought humans liked being cared for."

"We do, but I didn't. Every little thing made me fall in love with you even more. That night at the hospital, I thought I had missed the chance to tell you." Chen wrapped his arms around Minseok and hugged him close.

"I already knew Minmin. I could feel it."

"Well . . . Good." Minseok ducked down and buried his face in Chen’s shoulder, embarrassment flushing through him and making him feel awkward. He still disbelieved Chen sometimes when he said he loved him, because who in their right mind would want someone like Minseok?

“I love you Min, always remember that.” Minseok sighed, content with just lying there in Chen’s arms, being with him was the highlight of his life. Chen took his hand, which lay curled by his side, and locked their fingers together.

“I love you too . . . Jongdae.” The name felt new, fresh to his tongue, and Minseok admitted he liked it. He liked it very much.

That night, Minseok allowed his body to be taken, but also his mind, soul, and heart. He surrendered completely to Chen.

And he wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

 

 

 

 

The End .

 

I hope you all enjoyed this and it was up to your standards. I had to edit it a lot, which is why I took so long to post it.

Comments are definitely worth it.