When the Sky Cries

[One-Shot] When the Sky Cries

 

epd_black.png?t=1296773483

Title: When the Sky Cries

Characters: JaeJoong, fictional

Rating: PG-13

Started: August 31, 2008; 10:36 PM

Edited: February 3, 2011; 4:54 PM

epd_black.png?t=1296773483

KimJaejoong01-125.jpg

 

a-dividers-black-1.jpg

 

JaeJoong leaned against the big window in their living room, staring dully out the window with his earphones hooked up to his ears. The weather outside matched his emotions: cloudy, dark, and blue. He glanced down to the wall of fans clamoring outside, pushing one another to get up front in hopes of chancing a peek at the famous idols. He let a small smile grace his lips as he thought about all those people down below who love him so much that they would stand outside through the rain. But his smile instantly turned into irritation as he checked the grating clock on the wall.

            “She’s two hours late,” he said to no one in particular. The apartment he shared with the other members was empty except for him. He begged YunHo, bribed ChangMin, and kicked out YooChun and JunSu just so he could have some alone time with his girlfriend.

Being an idol from a very famous Korean band left no room for romance; there was just too much touring, fan meetings, photo shoots, and recordings to keep a relationship alive. Until he met her. Sure it was hard in the beginning, the symbol of Dong Bang Shin Ki dating an unknown girl from Pusan. And not to mention all the fans that nearly died and swore their hatred to his girlfriend when the news came out about their relationship. But through it all, she stood by him – loving him enough to soldier through the harsh criticism and threats that were hurled at her.

He stared out the window again, hoping to see the familiar petite head of his ChunHei bobble up and down as she skipped towards his apartment. ‘What is keeping her?’ he thought apprehensively. It was raining heavily that afternoon, and he guessed, or at least hoped, that her oppa did not allow her to go out until the rain let up.

His gaze traveled to the streets and he smiled. He enjoyed the sound of the rain falling down, and watched some couples share an umbrella.

His lips curved up into a smile, “I bet sharing my umbrella with her would make her smile.”

JaeJoong’s head perked up when he spotted a familiar figure standing behind the row of fans – looking directly up at him.

            “What is she doing out there?” he asked, fishing his cell phone out from his back pocket. He dailed her number, but slid the cell phone close when he saw her beckoning him to come outside. Shrugging, he checked himself in the mirror one last time before walking out the door with a red umbrella at hand.

He took the back door, knowing full well that the fans and cameras could not follow him from there. It was the special entrance that he and ChunHei took when they went out on dates. Either he’d leave through there, or she’d come in through it to spend the night. JaeJoong opened his red umbrella and joined his girlfriend by the back gate that led into the alley.

All his annoyance at her tardiness instantly vanished as his eyes took in the beautiful creature in front him.  “Yah!” he called out with a smile, “You know you’re late, right? You owe me a hug!” He opened his arms wide, ready for when she she’d run to him. But she never did. ChunHei stood rooted to her spot, just staring at him with a sadden expression.

            “Miene Joongie,” she said, clutching her hands tightly, “I…err... forgot my umbrella and I’m really wet. I don’t want to ruin your clothes.” Then she walked backwards, as if she were afraid that he will hug her even though she asked him not to.

JaeJoong seemed confused. “Araso,” he shrugged again and began leading the way out the alley and into the main streets of Seoul. JaeJoong glanced at the silent girl to his side. Usually, she was full of laughter and always had something to say. But today, she seemed very sullen, like something was troubling her.

They walked by warm cafes and restaurants, packed with people; all laughing and being joyous. JaeJoong rubbed his shoulders through his thick leather jacket over his gray cotton hoodie, trying to preserve body heat. “ChunHei-ah, how about we go to one of these cafés to warm up? Or maybe a fancy restaurant?” JaeJoong suggested. He then smiled, knowing her enough to know what she really wanted. “You want to share my umbrella?”

ChunHei jumped slightly at this. “Aniyo…” she said quietly, taking the lead, “I like the rain. C’mon, I want to go to the park today.”

JaeJoong cocked an eyebrow, following after her. Usually, she was always begging him to take her to a fancy restaurant or snuggle in some warm café. And he was so sure that she’d love sharing an umbrella. Why the sudden change? Sighing, he closed his umbrella and shivered slightly as the small raindrops fell on his head.

            “Then, if my ChunHei-ah doesn’t want to use an umbrella, I won’t either,” JaeJoong smiled brightly, hoping that his girlfriend found him cute. ChunHei smiled softly at him, but quickly averted her eyes to the path ahead of her. JaeJoong sighed again, not used to the coldness she was showing.

They walked in silence, the rain providing the only loud sound around. Occasionally, people glanced and giggled at them, or cocked an eyebrow and whispered something about them in their company’s ears. Yet surprisingly, none of the girls neared them – they all just stared at him with wide eyes. JaeJoong guessed they were probably commenting about the idol going out with someone who was not known at all in the K-Pop world. He pulled up his hoodie from his grey sweater, hoping that it’d be enough to hide his identity.

All the while, JaeJoong tried grabbing for her hand like he normally did, but each time he tried; she’d pull her hand away. Her sudden regards to PDA and conservativeness was really starting to irritate him. First he busted his to get the apartment all to themselves, but she didn’t want to go up. He then offered taking her to a restaurant, but she declined. Now she wouldn't let him hold her hand? They hadn’t seen in each other for a week now, so why wasn't she all over him?

            “JaeJoong-ah…” ChunHei said, pulling her hand away before he could hold it. “Stop it, people are staring.”

            “Aish!” JaeJoong cursed. “Yah! Ahn ChunHei! We’re a couple aren’t we?! Who cares if people see? They should mind their own damn business!” JaeJoong yelled, mostly directing it to two girls who were whispering to each other as they passed by, pointing at him.

She did not reply. She acted strangely today – as if there was something she wasn’t telling him. “Are you ditching me?” JaeJoong asked out of the blue. She stared at him aghast. “Is there someone else?”

The people around them stopped what they were doing to stare at the screaming, distressed man, and then when nothing else happened, continued on their way.

            “Aniyo,” ChunHei said, “Stop being ridiculous you pabo.”

            “Then why are you acting so distant?” JaeJoong asked, this time more quietly. His eyes sad, and when he stared into her, JaeJoong furred his brow in confusion. The customary brown pools of chocolate were nothing more than vacant, lifeless eyes. “ChunHei-ah, are you feeling ok? You look a little…pale…” he asked, concerned for his girlfriend’s well being. He opened his red umbrella once more, this time making sure she was under it.

            “It’s nothing,” she told him, walking out from under the umbrella.

‘Her voice sounds different too,’ he thought. “Are you sure? If you’re not feeling well, I could take you home right now or we could go back to my apartment,” JaeJoong said the last bit in a playful and seductive manner.

            “It’s nothing, really. Let’s just…go, araso?” She kept on moving forward, and without any choice, JaeJoong followed after her.

They arrived at an empty park, which was not uncommon due to the weather. ChunHei led JaeJoong to a bench, and was about to sit down when JaeJoong stopped her with his hand.

            “Ani,” JaeJoong said, taking of his leather jacket, “it’s wet. If you sit down, you’ll get a cold. And your Oppa will kill me if I get you sick.” He smiled, placing his jacket down on the bench.

            “Honestly Joongie, you worry too much,” she whispered, sitting on the cold bench where the jacket didn’t cover. She lifted her gaze up to the dark sky above them. “A few more drops of rain won’t hurt.”

            “Why are you avoiding me today?” JaeJoong asked bluntly the question that has been gnawing at him for the last eleven minutes. “Because if it’s about not seeing me for a week, I already apologized about that earlier - ”

            “It’s not about that,” she said, turning her head to look at him again.

This was getting nowhere! JaeJoong sat down next to her in exasperation. ChunHei gazed up at the sky once again, ignoring her aggravated boyfriend to the right. They sat in silence for a few minutes, just sitting there taking in each other's company. Usually, ChunHei’s hyper conversations filled those empty gaps, and JaeJoong would just listen or contribute. But today, all that surrounded them was silence – and the soft pitter patter of the rain as it fell on the pavement.

            “Yah,” JaeJoong interrupted the silence, also looking up at the dark sky, “They say when it rains like this, the angels in heaven are crying.”

            “Oh…” she whispered her gaze still at the sky, “Will I be crying too?”

JaeJoong snapped his head back to stare at his girlfriend with puzzlement, “Why would you be crying?”

She shook her head, as she looked down at her hands that were folded neatly atop her lap. “It’s nothing…I’m just saying random things.” She smiled grimly, “You know me, random and accident prone.”

The corners of JaeJoong’s lips lifted up into a smile at ChunHei’s words. No matter how many times she tripped or stumbled over something, he always found that little trait of her's cute. JaeJoong thought for a minute, ‘Today is the first time I haven’t seen her trip over a rock,’ he thought fondly.

ChunHei looked up again as the rain fell harder. “I think – ” JaeJoong turned to face her, abruptly stopping his train of thought as she spoke. “ – I think that when it’s like this. When it rains this hard…I think the sky is crying for someone.”

          “Oh really?” JaeJoong asked with a smirk. He found it cute when ChunHei got all philosophical. “Like who?”

A lighting struck as she whispered, “You.”

JaeJoong gasped, his eyes widening. “M-Muh? Why me?” he questioned. Something in her voice when she said it made the hairs on his nape stand and his heart skip a beat.

            “Never mind,” ChunHei said, getting up with a sigh. “I better get going. I’m expected back any minute.”

            “Ohkaaay,” JaeJoong replied, still at a complete loss to his girlfriend behavior. Yet he got up with her, pulling his jacket from under him. “Alright, I’ll walk you home.”

He turned around, but instead of being next to her, she was already a few feet away. He made a move towards her, but something held him back - as if, he wasn’t meant to get near. JaeJoong stood rooted to his spot as the rain fell down with a vengeance all around them.

            “JaeJoong-ah,” ChunHei whispered, one hand clutched into a tight fist over her heart. Her eyes reflected deep sadness as she gazed into his soft brown ones. Her lips curved up to a small smile, despite the sadden expression, her face held some kind of ethreal calmness. “JaeJoong-ah…I haven’t told you enough…I love you,” she whispered, barely loud enough to hear over the rain. “I love you so much,” she said, suddenly turning away as she sprinted out of the park.

JaeJoong remained standing behind her, his mouth agape and her words repeating over and over again in his head. It was only the second time she ever told him that. I love you…

And the rain poured down.

 

epd_black.png?t=1296773483

 

JaeJoong was happy. More than happy – he was ecstatic! There was a bounce in his step and a smile on his face as he made his way to the refrigerator. He took out a half-full gallon of orange juice and chugged it straight from the carton with energy. ChunHei just told him she loved him, and he felt he can take on a thousand – no a million anti-fans with just his hands…and maybe a taser.

            “Hyung, are you okay?” ChangMin asked as if it was the first time he met the idol.

            “Of course I am!” JaeJoong smiled widely, sitting down next to JunSu on the dinning room table.

            “Why aren’t you sad?” YooChun asked, moving to sit closer to the happy super star; he stared at him with a questioning look.

            “Why should I be?” He asked with a smile. JaeJoong lifted up his hands, and counted how many things that were going great in his life. “I do what I love for a living; I have the best friends and coworkers; and I have a hot girlfriend who loves me,” JaeJoong stated arrogantly. “Life is great! I doubt anything can bring me down!”

            “JaeJoong hyung…” JunSu said, his voice quavering as he stared down at his cold cereal. “Why are you so happy?”

           “Muh?” JaeJoong glanced at JunSu with a puzzled expression, but it was instantly replaced with his trademark brilliant smile. “Today is a great day - every day is a great day! Because my ChunHei told me she loved me last night!” he then nudged JunSu with his elbow playfully, “Why? Are you jealous?” JaeJoong joked, his eyes twinkling with merriment.

JunSu slammed his fists down on the jade table, making the milk in his cereal splash out of the bowl. He stood up abruptly and glared at JaeJoong with tears in his eyes. JaeJoong’s eyes grew as big as saucers at the sight before him. He was too busy being happy to notice JunSu’s tears.

            “How can you say that! Don’t you even care?!” JunSu screamed, walking away furiously, causing his chair to fall down backwards.

            “Hyung!” ChangMin yelled after JunSu, also getting up and running towards him.

JaeJoong stared after the retreating backs of both of his dongsaengs, wondering why JunSu acted so…odd. A part of him, his motherly side, wanted to run after JunSu to comfort him.

            “Hyung…” YooChun treaded carefully, looking for the right words to use. “Are you sure it was last night? Are you sure it was last night you spoke with her?”

JaeJoong cocked an eyebrow. Why was everyone acting so weird lately? First his girlfriend and now his friends. “Neh, I saw her yesterday evening. Why are you guys acting so strange?”

           “I thought YunHo hyung spoke to you yesterday,” YooChun mumbled, more to himself than to JaeJoong.

JaeJoong stared at him in confusion. “About what? What happened with YunHo?” What was up with them these past few hours? They were acting gloomy and sad. He was really starting to get pissed at the way everyone acted, that and he was still confused by the sadden expression YunHo gave him when he came home from his date last night.

           “JaeJoong-ah, you couldn’t have spoken to her last night…” YooChun said seriously, holding back the tears that were ready to fall. The gravity in his voice instantly killed the previous cheerful mood JaeJoong was in. YooChun stared straight into JaeJoong’s perplexed eyes, his own full of anguish and pain. “Yesterday…yesterday morning, ChunHei-ah got into an accident.”

            “Muh?” JaeJoong’s eyes grew wide, “I saw her last night. How could she have gotten into an accident?”

            “JaeJoong-ah…” he said his name once again, holding his shoulders. “There was a car accident and ChunHei and her family were rushed to the hospital in critical condition. JaeJoong-ah....I'm really sorry. She didn’t make it…” JaeJoong gasped as his heart squeezed painfully.

            “W-Why are you saying that?” JaeJoong shook his head vigorously, as if by doing so he could erase what YooChun had said. She couldn’t have died; she just said she loved him yesterday.

            “Ahn ChunHei is dead, JaeJoong-ah…I'm so sorry...” YooChun whispered softly, hugging JaeJoong as he let his own tears fall freely down his face.

            “Dead…?” JaeJoong repeated, but YooChun didn’t answer.

It took awhile for it to sink in, but when it did, he bolted. He ran down the eleven flights of stairs, not even pausing to give his tired legs a break.

‘Dead…’ he ran out the secret back door; the rendezvous point they always met at.

‘Dead…’ He pushed the heavy door as he ran out into the open and when he did, he felt something wet on his cheek. JaeJoong looked up at the dark sky hovering over him.

It was raining.

He thought back on the last conversation they had as he stood outside in the rain. His clothes were drenched, and his legs ached – but he didn’t care. He was numbed to the world as he recalled the day before:

‘When it rains this hard…I think the sky is crying for someone.’

‘Oh really? Like who?’

‘You.’

Then everything became clear to him. The people around them were not laughing at YoungWoong JaeJoong, who was seeing a not-so-famous girl. They were laughing at Kim JaeJoong, who was talking to himself loudly in the middle of the street.

She would not let him hug her. She would not let him drag her into company.

She would not let him know she was dead.

And then, when he felt like everything around him was collapsing, Kim JaeJoong joined the sky in its crying.

a-dividers-black.jpg