Hurts

Hurts

 

Kris deserved it, he knew it was coming soon, with the way he'd been treating Tao...
Which is why, when he came home that night to see Tao had everything packed up in suitcases lying in a corner of the living room that he didn't flinch.
He took in silently the way Tao stood up from the couch releasing a shuddering breath that racked through his body. 

"Kris, I'm leaving. I, can't take it anymore" 
"I know" 
"It's like we don't love each other anymore, like I don't matter to you. It hurts, I can't keep living like this" Tao said softly, bringing his right hand to his face in a futile attempt to try to stop the oncoming stream of tears that threatened to fall.
"I know, I understand. Don't worry about it" Kris whispered going over to Tao and embracing him, rubbing small circles on his back, trying to sooth his sobs. 
"I won't stop you Tao, you have a place to stay? Enough money?"
Tao simply nodded and cried harder mouthing something against Kris' chest.

It honestly broke Kris' heart, the fact that he had managed to break Tao and bring him to this point, bring their relationship to this. Which is why he wouldn't fight with him now, not this time, he would simply let him go. He deserved it.

"Why aren't you..." 
"Opposing?" Kris sighed and let his head rest atop Tao's "You need something better Tao, someone like C-..." Kris held his tongue, he knew Tao could easily fill in the blank. 

 

Kris thought of the time he saw them together the first time, he was surprised. Not because Tao was with him, Kris knew they were just friends, Tao wouldn't betray him that way, but the way he smiled so brightly, a way Kris himself hadn't seen for months. It was a nice reminder, the smile, of how he'd first fallen for him. 

Kris closed his eyes, he shouldn't be thinking about that now. He loosened his grip on Tao to look at him.

"I love you Tao, please take care, okay?" with one last kiss to his head, Kris dropped his arms and stepped aside and went to get Tao's suitcases and placed them by the door. He looked back to where Tao was still standing in the living room, he almost looked like he was unsure of something.

"You have a ride?"
"Yeah, he should be here soon"

Kris smiled and mumbled an 'okay' as Tao walked to the door to stand next to him, but not really looking at him.

"Goodbye Yif-... Kris"

Kris barely registered the door closing. 
 

 

One month later

 

Kris was walking fast paced through people trying to get to his house as soon as possible, the sun was impossibly bright for an afternoon and everything was generally too hot and Kris just couldn't deal with it anymore. Grumbling and grabbing at his shirt and pulling it away from his skin in hopes to alleviate the heat he saw a familiar face on the opposite side of the sidewalk and stopped right on his tracks.

It was Tao with Chanyeol, for some reason unbeknownst to him he felt his heart ache. For some reason in the corners of his heart, his heart because his brain knew that there would be no way of it happening,  because of the way Tao had stoled a glanced at him as he was about to leave, because of the way his sobs had intensified when he'd told him he loved him, because he felt him mouthing i love you against his chest.

 

But Tao actually looked happy, Kris now knew he was happy. So he turned around and started walking slowly ignoring the heat that was once bothering him. Why should he hurry to his home?

There was no one waiting for him there anymore.