01

My Ghost Best Friend

“Stop going through the walls while I’m changing!” I quickly pulled my shirt down when Taeyeon sniggered.

“Or at least give me a warning before you do that.”

“And how would you like me to do that?” The pencil rolled off the table. “Like that?”

My best friend is a ghost. It took me a while to get used to it too. She came into my life when I was 19, after I got into a serious accident and it seems, I could see ghosts from then. Although, it only pertained to her... It was strange and it freaked me out then. Who wouldn’t be?

“Seriously....”

She pouted.

No, she’s not like those kind of ghosts that’s transparent. She is like a human being except nobody else can see her. Strange right? I thought there must be a reason for me being the only one able to see me but now that I am two years older, and she’s still here, I feel like maybe, that’s how it is.

---

“Going to meet Jessica?” She sat on my bed, causing a dip in the mattress. A sight I’m sure someone else would freak.

“Yeah, you coming along?”

“Does it make a difference?”

“I guess. You can make funny faces should the conversation start to get too serious.” I laughed, recalling once when Taeyeon scrunched up her face in disgust when I was on a date with some random guy and she saw him wipe his dirty hands on his pants.

“But you’re not going on a date this time.” She rolls around on the bed.

“Whatever you say, I was actually just asking for the sake of asking. I know you’re coming along anyway.”

---

“She’s here?” Jessica asks as she sips on her coffee and shuddered when Taeyeon blew into her ears before giggling. “Stop her from doing that please. It still freaks me out.”

I laughed along, “Stop it Taeyeon.” She returns a salute, “Yes Mdm.”

Jessica was my human best friend after Taeyeon. We both met when we were young, and when I told her about Taeyeon. She thought I was crazy and had hit my head so hard that I was hallucinating, but over time, she came to accept it and since I was and still is in perfect shape and Taeyeon had done some things to prove she kind of existed, she kind of came to terms with it.

Taeyeon started to wander off in another direction and I let her be. There was nothing she could do or haven’t seen in her years of being dead and there was basically no trouble she could get into except stop a few hearts, literally.

“Is she wandering around again? I hope she doesn’t scare the waitress like she did the other time by deciding to throw random napkins in the staff room.”

“She’s wandering around... And yes, I hope so too. But it was really funny...” I chuckled.

Jessica rolled her eyes. “Tiff. Why won’t she want to find out who she was before she...” She paused. “You know, died?” She looks at me out of concern before placing her cup down.  

“I... Don’t know. I guess she wants to find out too... But she can’t remember how she died and whatever. She only knows her name, not even her family name, and was lost till she met me. You knows how she starts to feel really uncomfortable when she struggles to remember right?” I shrugged and looked away, feeling uncomfortable too.

“But. Don’t you ever wonder?” She asked carefully, not taking her eyes off me.

“M-me?” I pointed my finger to myself.

“Mhmm.... I don’t think there is another ghost friend of yours you haven’t told me about” Just in case, she took a glance around to make sure.

“No. There isn’t.” I laughed. ”I guess I do wonder too... But if it hurts her to remember, then why force her?” My eyes darted to Taeyeon as she walks back to where we were. (Yes, she doesn’t float.)

Jessica noticed and resumed drinking her coffee.

“I guess.”

---

We were on my bed, lying side by side, staring into the ceiling when I laid on my side and propped my elbow to support myself and faced her.

“Taetae?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you think you will always be like this?”  She paused before mirroring my image.

“Do you want me to always be like this?” She asked, staring deep into my eyes.

“I don’t know... On one hand, I feel it is only right you move on... I mean, it is the way of life. And yet at the same time, I don’t know how I can live without you. You’ve been by my side for two straight years. It’s like marriage.”

She laughed, “Except this is a forced marriage.”

“What makes you-“ I felt something cold on my mouth- it was her hand, “Shh. Don’t say.” Before she hastily retracted her hands.

I sighed as I leaned back down, knowing how I can never convince her that I’m used to this and if this was what I was going to get, I was happy with it.

“You deserve someone that can actually be there for you. And not be cold, literally, like me” She my cheek gently,  “That makes you feel uneasy when we touch for long.”