Sounds

Just Listen

---Your/Yin's POV---

 

I sat at the window, staring at the little kids playing in the little playground the hospital provided. Their muted laughs and chatter didn't reach my ears. They seemed to be having so much fun, playing with their friends.

I stepped away from the happy scene and sat back on my bed, staring at the plain, white walls in front of me. Twelve years. Twelve long, horrid years, I've been cooped up in this lonely room.

There's no T.V., no pictures, no computer, no color... Nothing in this room. All of the nurses and doctors are afraid of coming in this room. But I assure you, I'm not a monster. They're just cowards.

Parents you ask? They're just as bad as those doctors and nurses. Maybe even worse. They abandoned me at some orphanage, but the orphanage threw me here. I was never wanted and I never will be. I will be forever stuck in this place.

I'm located in the mental wing, far away from the 'normal' patients. I'm not mental though; perfectly sane. Just one little thing though.

I have misophonia. You're probably like, "What the hell is misophonia?" It's a disorder where the patient has the hatred of sound. No one knows why, scientists are still researching. The littlest sound will set me off.

This one time, a nurse sneezed, and for some reason, I got angry at her. I yelled at her, telling her to go away. I don't know why. Something inside me just snapped, making me angry... After the nurse ran away, I cried... I felt guilty and angry... Every emotion was bottled up inside of me. Since then, I was put in this room.

Before I was put in this room, I could hear the chatter and footsteps of people outside. It was loud; deafening. The nurses and doctors didn't know how bad my disorder was, until the day I snapped and yelled at the nurse.

I played with the hem of the thin hospital gown those people force me to wear. I don't understand why, because from what I've learned, only sick patients wear this, and I'm 100% sure I'm not sick, perfectly healthy.

I stared at the plastic, itchy tag around my skinny, pale ankle. 'Yin Zhang' it says. It also stated my birthday and date I was admitted into this hospital.

I laid back in my semi-hard mattress and sighed.

When am I going to die? My life is useless anyways. I can do nothing, I can't even go out of my room. I let out a frustated sigh and sat up, going to the bathroom.

I did my business and washed my hands. Looking up, I saw my reflection.

I was skinny. Too skinny. My face was too gaunt, pale and skinny. My long, black hair fell past my shoulders and reached almost to my .

I saw my reflection's small hand reach up and touch it's face. My face wasn't soft, it almost felt papery. The hand moved to my reflection's hair. It felt dry, dead.

With a sigh, I went back into my room. On the table beside my bed was a tray of food and a book. I glanced at the time and it was a little past 11:30AM. The nurse probably came in while I was in the bathroom to avoid running into me. Everyday, she drops off lunch and a new book, then she picks up the book that I finished the day before.

I sat on my bed and pulled the tray in front of me, poking the noodles with my chopstick. I picked up a couple of noodles and put it in my mouth. It was stale and cold. I think these people really are trying to kill me. I pushed the bowl of noodles away and took a sip of the soup next to it. It was bland and also cold. With a frustrated sigh, I pushed that away also and took a sip of the waterbottle provided.

There was an apple left, but I decided to leave that to eat later. I wasn't too hungry.

I picked up the book and stared at the cover. It was called 'The Hunger Games'.(Let's pretend that has been translated to Mandarin><) I read the back and it looked interesting. Setting the tray back on the table, I picked up the book and waterbottle and went to sit in the chair by the window.

By the time it was four, I was halfway through it. The book was amazing. Different from the usual cheesy romantic comedies the nurse dropped off. I couldn't even set it down to take another drink of water.

It was almost eight when I finished that book. It wasn't night yet. The sky was painted an orange-red and birds flew through the air to their homes. It looked nice outside, and there was no one out there.

Once, I went outside. The feeling was exhilarating, feeling the soil under my feet, the wind rush through my hair. The sounds of outside didn't even faze me. Instead, it calmed me down. For once, I felt peaceful.

The feeling of wanting to go outside was pestering me again. It was quiet and no one was around. I don't think I would get caught. I got away with it last time. With a determined breath, I got up and opened the window.

The wind immediately blew past my shoulders making my hair blow back. I lifted one leg out the window, then the other. I hopped down and felt the soft grass again. I wiggled my toes before taking a step forward.

The feeling was the same. My heart raced as I looked up at the sky. There was an airplane moving through the sea of orange-red. I smiled and walked to the bench facing the playground. Taking a seat, I looked back at the sky. A smile grew on my face and I giggled a little.

I then noticed this sound. I don't know what it was. It surrounded me. I don't know why, but it was strangely calming. I stood up, wanting to find the source.

I neared this bush, and the sound stopped as the other sounds around me continued. Confused, I walked to another bush and it stopped. Do sounds hate me like I hate them too? I happen to like this sound though.

With a defeated sigh, I went back to the bench. My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a door opening. I froze, afraid that I was going to get caught.

No one yelled at me though, maybe they knew my condition. All I heard was soft footsteps coming closer to me. I flinched a little at the sound and got up to run to my room. I didn't want to hurt anyone if I was set off.

I ran to my window and hoisted myself in. Just as I was about to close the window, I heard a soft, melodic voice. I don't know exactly what the voice said, but there was something that pestered my mind.

The voice was beautiful.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

First chapter(: I want to thank DongBangShinee501 for subscribing first!!! I still had my story on private when you subscribed(x And I want to thank Joseon for commenting already!!! WAAH! Gomawo! I love you guys!! Comment and subscribe! More Luhan in the next chapter(;