N i

Wearing a Mask for Two Years

 

 “I.WIN.OVER.YOU. haha!” Wooyoung laughed widely while laying himself on the grass. They were in the park when they usually chat if they just want to be the two of them.

“Ya!” Jieun pouted, still sat on the bench. “But your score is just 5 points better than me!”

“I still win though!” he stuck his tongue out. “I really study hard, you know. Call me oppa. Now.”

He got up, sat on the grass, and smiled at her. She looked away. Then he approached her and sat on the bench, beside her. “Say oppa”.

 She sighed deeply then said flatly “oppa”.

“Just like that? Be milder!” he protested.

“Fine!” she leaned closer to Wooyoung’s face and looked at his eyes deeply. “Wooyoung oppa~” then she smiled cutely then after a few seconds she showed her poker face.

He widened his eyes. ‘Why are you suddenly showing your cute side unreservedly? You’re cute, really. But I usually saw it you did it naturally. And know you’re doing aegyo right in front of my face, on purpose?’ He really stunned by her charm then he blushed hardly. ‘I just hope she didn’t see my red face. I even hold my breath because of this nervousness!’

“N-ne..?” he stuttered.

She chuckled suddenly. “Why are you so tense?” she turned around her face, looked at flowers in the park, then smiled.

He sighed very deeply. “Nothing. Ohhh. I think I will die because I forget how to breathe.” He laid himself on the grass again.

She tilted her head in confusion. “Why?”

“Should I tell you?” his sigh changed into smirk.

“Ya! I really hate when you smirked like that. Anyway, there should be no secret between us. You know all about me and so do I!” she pouted cutely.

He looked away from her to prevent his heart thumped faster. “Just forget it. Why are you so curious just about my breath? And, be more delicate! Call me oppa!”

 “You’re right, silly me!” She giggled. “Uhm, by the way, where will you continue your school, op..pa?” she tried to get used to call him ‘oppa’.

He still looked away. “Hmm? Maybe Kirin High School. It’s the best high school, right? And you?” he started to look at Jieun.

“I want to go there, too. Because it’s the best high school, my mother told me to go there.” She was in silent for a while. “And… it’s also because of you, I think.” She mumbled and blushed. Before Wooyung noticed her redden face, she looked away from Wooyoung. ‘Since you really can understand me so much better even than my mother, I think I won’t lose you. It seems that you don’t know how precious you’re for me.’

“Oppa let’s go!” she suddenly changed the topic, hoped Wooyoung didn’t hear what she said.

‘What did she say just now? Because of… what? Why did she mumble like that?’ then he nodded, ignored his curiosity. “Oh yeah. Kaja.”

‘Today… is really a weird day.’ He muttered while walking beside her.

 

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

 

Jieun saw the list of new students who were accepted there on announcement board. She saw words ‘Jang Wooyoung’. ‘Woah, daebak! What a smart creature he is!’ then she looked down to search her name. ‘Lee Jieun, Lee Jieun, Lee Jieun….’ She mumbled. ‘Here it is! My name is here! Yeay!’ she squealed in happiness. ‘Eh, Jiyeon… why didn’t I find her name?’

 

Jieun pressed the ‘call’ button.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Wooyoung oppa! I just saw the announcement for Kirin High School students’ acceptance! We both accepted!” she sounded really happily.

He chuckled, “I’ve seen it yesterday, pabo.”

“Ya! Why didn’t you tell me?” she pouted. “But, I didn’t see Jiyeon’s name. Isn’t she going to Kirin High School?”

“Hmm… Molla. Haha!”

“Wae? Aren’t you her boyfriend? How can you don’t know?”

“We broke up with her.”

“Jinjja? Wae? When?”

“A few days ago. We just didn’t feel match to each other.”

“Just that simple?”

“Ne, ne, ne.”

“Uhm, I’m sorry to hear that.” She nervously said. “Mind if I come to your house?”

“No need. I’m in my cousin’s house right now.”

“Well. I hope you’ll be okay then.”

“I will, don’t worry. See you in our new school, huh?”

“Ne, Wooyoung oppa~” she hang up.

‘I hope he’ll be really okay.’ She mumbled.

 

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

 

In high school, they seldom meet each other. Their class was far away from each other. Jieun in 1-4 class while Wooyoung in 1-7 class. Beside that, they joined different club. Jieun liked to join music club, while Wooyoung joined football club and science club. Yes, he really likes football. Since their schedule was different, they rarely went home together. And since he was in science club, he got himself famous. Students who joined there must be smarter than the other students and they will face science Olympiad. Because of Wooyoung’s genius and kindness, many students liked him. Moreover, he was cool and handsome. Wooyoung will help the others to teach them science, especially in chemistry and physics subjects. Wooyoung was really great student because chemistry, especially physics subjects, were enemies for many students, include Jieun.

“Oppa!” Jieun approached Wooyoung in front of his class when Wooyoung was about to leave his class. It’s been along time they didn’t meet each other. “Oppa, I have physics test tomorrow. Please teach me! I don’t want to get 22 again. You know, that was my worst ever score.” She puffed her cheek.

He laughed, “Jinjja? You got 22? Where’s the smart Jieun? Who are you? Kim Jieun? Park Jieun?” He couldn’t stop his laughter.

“Oppa!” she hit his arm. “You’re mean! I really need your help now.” She set her puppy eyes.

He crossed his arms. “I’m sorry Jieun. But I must attend science club right now for national Olympiad.”

“Woooyoung!” someone called him and waved his hand.

“Mianhae, I've gotta go now. Bye, Jieun!” he tapped her shoulder then ran away approached his friend.

She pouted while watching her bestfriend’s back went away from her.

 

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

 

 “Kyaaaaa, Wooyoung-ah!” the girls from 1-7 class keep cheering for Wooyoung who was dribbling the ball to the gate. Then he kicked the ball, and… “Goaaaal!!!” “We win!” “Woah Wooyoung is really great!” “Wooyoung is so cool!” “1-7 class was the unbeatable team since Wooyoung is here!” the girls never tired to cheer Wooyoung on.

Jieun already bring a can of cold drink and face towel for wiping his sweat. “Wooyoung oppa! Here!” Jieun waved at him but he didn’t notice her. He went to 1-7 class. The girls wiped his sweat and gave him cold drink.

“Huh! You’re so annoying! Wooyoung pabo!” she drank her cold drink herself then decided to go home after stomped on the ground.

“It looks someone has been abandoned by her own friend.” A guy said.

Jieun turned around her head to the guy. It’s Jonghyun. He is Jieun’s friend from music club. He is in 1-1 class.

“What?!” Jieun got upset since her mood was really bad right now. He just smirked. But Jieun decided to ignore him, and went away to go home. She was afraid lose her control because she might have thrown away her shoes to Jonghyun’s face. ‘Huh, you better take care of your own problem.’ She mumbled.

 

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

 

Jieun went to music room after school. Some students were acquired to perform to Kirin High School Festival. The coach wanted to “Four Hands Play” for the performance. Since “Four Hands Play” was hard to play and rarely performed by people, he thought it will be a great performance. So today he tested the students who could play piano. After that, he decided that two persons were Jieun and Jonghyun.

“Since you’re the best two among of the students, you will perform next week. We’ll train together everyday from today until next week.” The coach told Jieun and Jonghyun. She stared at Jonghyun in disbelief then sighed deeply while Jonghyun smiled simply.

“I’ve chosen the song that you will play. This is the musical score.”  Jieun and Jonghyun grabbed the paper together and saw the notes on it. It’s “Four Hands Duet” OST Secret.

“Woah, the tempo is really fast. It’s really no joke.” Jieun widened her eyes.

 “But it’s really cool if we can play it.” Jonghyun said eagerly. “Let’s start!”

They played the piano. At first, they couldn’t do it well because their hand always bumped into each other.

“Ya, Jieun! How can you get wrong note?” Jonghyun pissed off.

“Isn’t it because of your hand?” she hissed. They kept quarrel until the end of training. It was 9 P.M. they must work hard because “Four Hands Play” was really hard to play. Since that day, they must train until night for the sake of great performance. Fortunately, they rarely got quarrel because they had to be in togetherness. They slowly enjoyed it. When they went home, Jonghyun always walked her home until in front of her house since they always train until night.

 

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

 

The day of Kirin High School Festival…

“Okay guys, at first, we’ll see the performance of music club. They will do “Four Hands Play” and play “Four Hands Duet” song. They are Kim Jonghyun from 1-1 class and Lee Jieun from 1-4 class. Give applause!” the MC said.

Wooyoung who was eating suddenly choked when he heard Jieun’s name was mentioned. ‘She can play piano? Why didn’t I know that?’ then he looked at Jieun carefully. It’s really her. She wore red dress and put her make up. She was really gorgeous tonight. Then the boys started whispering to each other. “Woah, that girl named Jieun is reall pretty!” “She is really charming!” “I should get her number after this!” Wooyoung didn’t know why he felt uneasy when he heard this kind of talking. Then Jieun and Jonghyun performed together. They were doing really great so many students clapped their hands after their performance ended. When Jieun and Jonghyun went to the backstage, Jieun suddenly squatted and massaged her head.

“Jieun, gwaenchanna?” Jonghyun squatted too in front of her.

“My head is hurt.” She started to massage her head.

“Let’s go to my back. I will piggyback you to clinic.” He panicked.

“Ani ani, I think it’s because I’m just too tired. I have an anemia though. I just want to go home and take a rest.”

“Is it because we train until night for a week? Jieun-ah, you have needed to told coach earlier… Okay then, I will walk you home. Wear this, I don’t want you caught a cold.” He gave his coat to her. After she wore it, he piggybacked her.

“Gomawo, Jonghyun-ah…” she said weakly then a few minutes later she fell asleep on his shoulder.

 

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

 

The next day, after school…

Jonghyun was waiting for Jieun in front of her class. Because he didn’t see Jieun at all, he decided to ask someone in her class.

“I’m sorry, do you see Jieun?” Jonghyun asked.

“Well, she didn’t attend school today. We don’t know the reason since she didn’t give any information.” She answered.

“Okay, thank you.” Jonghyun left her and went away to Jieun’s house. ‘There must be something happened to Jieun. I must check her.’

 

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

 

The next day, after school…

“Jieun have typhoid?” “Yes, Jonghyun-ssi told me that this morning.” “Then we should go to her house after school.”

Wooyoung stopped eat when he heard Jieun was sick. ‘I should go to her house too after science club.’

He arrived in front of her house. It’s been a long time that he never gone to her house again. “Ah Wooyoung-ssi, long time no see. You want to see Jieun right? She is in her room. Her friend is also there, too.” Jieun’s mother smiled.

“Ne, eommonim. Kamsahamnida.” He bowed then went upstairs to her room. Right when he was about to knock her door, Jonghyun appeared. They both startled.

“Ah Wooyoung-ssi, I’m Jonghyun. I’m sure you want to look after Jieun. She just slept after drank her medicine.”

Wooyoung still startled to see Jonghyun. ‘How can Jieun’s mother let him in her room alone? I even never did that!’

“Ne. I just want to see her for a while then.” He said awkwardly.

“Okay, I’ll go first. Bye, Wooyoung-ssi!” he waved.

Wooyoung entered the room and saw Jieun whose eyes closed. She wore a pink soft blanket which covered her until her shoulder. Then he looked at her face, she looked so pale.

“Why are you like this? What happened to you?” he talked to sleep Jieun.”I’m sorry for not taking care of you. I’ve even just known that you’re sick. He rubbed her forehead then looked around her room. He saw something caught his eyes. A headband which was written: Wooyoung oppa, fighting! ^^ he frowned. “Is it hers? Did she always watch me when I played football?” he looked back at Jieun, his heart softened. “Mianhae, Jieun-ah… I can’t be with you while you’re always around me though I didn’t realize it. I promised to get close with you again.” He kissed her forehead. “Get well soon, my Jieunnie.” He said affectionately then he got out from her room.

 

 

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

 

 

hope you'll like it, guys :D