Listen To Your Heart

Listen To Your Heart

 

Among the crowd she stood afar observing: the skillful strums of the fingers; the rhythmic timing of the drums sticks; the elegant movements of the slender and graceful fingers on the keyboard; and especially the parting and closing of those soft lips, breathing out notes to the song being played by the band situated behind him. The burning passion in his eyes as he recites the lyrics is not left unnoticed—at least not by her.

The band, EXO, held occasional performances at the mall attracting quite a remarkable amount of people. Including the girl who worked at the florist shop, which is located diagonally across from the stage. His name was unknown to her, but the way his eyes closed and eyebrows furrowed as his facial muscles scrunched up as he sang were etched in her memory. Not to mention the pulsing vein on his neck when he turns his head to the side as he belted out notes.

What she loves most was the angelic smile that flashed his pearly whites, that gesture alone makes her heart flutter and pound a bit harder against her chest. Stalker is not the word she would use to describe herself. To her it was more of an admiration or even something more.

It was odd. Every time she watches him perform there was this effect his voice had on her; a tingling sensation in her ear she couldn’t explain. And he was the only one who could inflict that on her.

Again, her attention fully focused on the group of boys working their magic. Large eyes encased on the man taking center stage, causing the crowd to go wild with his doll like features: bright doe eyes, defined, pointy nose, and luscious lips. For her that wasn’t what made her go wild—though those factors may have a small contribution. What made her lose her senses was that tingle he sent right through her ears, flowing through her body and straight towards her heart. She didn’t want to believe this, but she knows she had fallen for him. It’s as if an invisible magnet is pulling her closer to him and no matter how hard she tries she can’t stop thinking about him, can’t stop falling harder for him.

--

A hand tapped Luhan’s shoulder bringing him out of his trance. He whipped his head to the side and sees Kris towering next to him.

“Go talk to her,” Kris suggests. Pointing his chin towards the direction Luhan’s eyes were focused on seconds ago. Kris’s comment caused Luhan’s orbs to widen as he didn’t know Kris caught him ogling at her.

“You’re done setting up already?” Luhan retorted, still slightly flustered.

“No.”

“Then, stop talking and get some work done.” Kris chuckled and shook his head, then walked back to help his other band mates.

A sigh escaped Luhan’s lips as he cranked his head back to where his eyes were minutes ago. Landing on the woman seated behind the counter of the florist shop, now flipping through a binder and scribbling on a piece of paper. Few strands of hair obscured her eyes so; her hand gently tucked them behind an ear, revealing more of her milky smooth skin.

He doesn’t know when it started, but his eyes always wandered to the quaint flower shop. Behind the spotless glass windows was the quiet girl arranging flowers and tidying up the shop. She seemed very tranquil, always wearing the same straight face; sometimes pressing her rosy lips together to give a small grin to customers. He seldom saw her laugh, but when she did her smile made his heart do somersaults. A mysterious cold aura emitted from her. Her glass like eyes contained a bottle of deep indescribable emotions. There’s something about her that sets her apart from other girls, but Luhan couldn’t exactly pinpoint what it is.

--

Being the lead singer of the band, he was used to the fact that eyes were always on him while they performed. Once in a while his eyes would wander out in front of him to meet countless eyes staring lovingly back. Curious to see what the flower girl was up to, his eyes darted to the window of the shop. To his surprise the shop was only filled with multiple shades of flowers neatly arranged in every corner of the shop. Disappointed, his vision went back to the crowd, but something caught his eyes—it was she.

There stood the flower girl gazing back at him with attentive eyes. Her eyes softened as she was taken aback by the fact that they were making eye contact. She felt that same tingling sensation increase tenfold as his eyes stared deep into hers. Neither took the initiative to look away so, their eyes stayed locked until the song ended. When it did she immediately, broke the gaze and hurriedly walked back to the shop without taking another glimpse back at Luhan.

--

After being teased by his band members Luhan finally found himself standing at the entrance of the florist shop. He mentally noted to get back at Kris for being such a big mouth about his little crush. For now, that would have to be put aside, as he had to do what he came here for. When he stepped in various flower fragrant filled his nose; it was a very refreshing feeling. The members all gave him some advice, but he wasn’t quite sure if he would take them.

 

“I don’t know how to confess! You know I’m not very experienced!” Luhan wanted to pull his hair out from all their nagging and teasing. It hasn’t stopped since the moment Kris decided to share a secret with them.

“Don’t worry gege. Just act cute, I’m sure you will pass with your adorable face.” He gave Tao an are you kidding me face. Acting cute was definitely not his specialty and he wanted to come off as a man not a ten-year-old boy.

“Serenade her; it should be easy since you sing all the time.” Chen suggested. Luhan pondered for a while and before he could give a comment Xiumin butted in.

“You should just be Luhan and ask her out.” That wasn’t a bad idea because natural would probably be easiest for him to pull off.

“Luhan ge is too plain. I’m afraid she’ll say no right away.” Luhan gave Lay a piercing glare. “Use a pick up line on her. Girls like that stuff.”

“Like?...”

Lay cleared his throat and coolly walked over to Luhan, his eyes locking with his the whole time. “Excuse me miss, do you have a map? I keep getting lost in your eyes.” He said seductively. Luhan turned to the side and made a gagging sound, while all the other members cracked up.

“Gosh, that’s so cheesy!” Luhan complained.

“Hey don’t hate! I get girls to swoon over me all the time with pick up lines.” The guitarist retorted.

A hand patted Luhan’s shoulder and he turned to see who it was. “Don’t worry you have me,” Kris confidently said. “I’ll show you a couple of tricks. You guys forget that I can get girls to melt with just one electrifying stare.” The bassist proudly stated. Lay tried to hold in his giggle, but failed letting out a small chuckle, receiving a glare from the giant.

“None of you are of any help,” Luhan sighed and walked into his shared room with Lay, leaving the members dumbfounded at his attitude.

 

The shop was quite peaceful and the flower girl was gracefully flipping to the next page of the book in her hand. Luhan inhaled some oxygen in his lungs and slowly approached the counter. He stood still mesmerized by her presence. His eyes traced her bangs covering her forehead, down to her long lashes, and to the curve of her nose. The pounding in his chest began to pick up it’s pace the longer he admired her. At this moment she carefully brought her head up and in an instant they locked eyes. This time he thought his heart would seriously leap out of his chest.

Her pupils slowly widened as she realized who was standing in front of her. Plump lips parted as if to let out a gasp, but not a sound came out. Luhan gave her a heartwarming smile, but she looked at him with innocent eyes and lips pressed together in a straight line.

“Hi, my name is Luhan.” He stuck his hand out waiting for a handshake.

“Lu…han,” she repeated. Luhan felt his heart skip at the sound of her voice. It was soft and angelic. Her eyes lingered at his hand for some time before she brought hers forward to receive his grip. After, she nervously pulled hers away.

“I was wondering…” His hand anxiously scratched the back of his head. “If you’d like to hang out tomorrow after your shift.” There was a pause and she continued staring at him with an unchanged expression. Impatiently, his front teeth grazed his bottom lip as he looked at her with hopeful eyes. She gave him a slight nod, bringing a bright smile to his pretty face.

“I’ll be waiting. Oh and I hope you enjoy this,” he handed her a CD and with a quick bow left the shop in a joyous mood. Her eyes darted to the hard plastic and couldn’t help but let a frown take over her face.

--

Luhan’s hands clasped and unclasped together as he sat down on the bench with his elbows propped on his knees waiting. Nervous was an understatement. He plans to ask her out on a date and a mix of feelings were flowing through him. From afar Luhan saw her approaching so, he stood up from his seat and gave her a wave.

“Hey!” was the first greeting Luhan gave when she arrived in front of him. She replied with a small nod and stuck her hand out. Luhan was a bit confused when he noticed that he was holding out EXO’s album that he gave her the other day. Her arm motioned for him to take it and so he did.

“I…I don’t…want to…see you…again.” It came out a bit muttered and slow as if she wanted to emphasize to Luhan her wish. Nothing was functioning in his mind. He stood there as if the wind knocked the air out of him.

“Why?” Luhan managed to blurt out while his eyes gorged at her. He thought her eyes looked a bit apologetic, but he wasn’t really sure.

He was a bit dumbfounded because all she gave him was a shake of her head to the side and she turned around and ran away.

The floor stuck to his feet like glue and his legs refused to move no matter what his brain told him. Never in his life has he tasted such disappointment. He sighed and dropped his head in defeat. There was something different about the album in his hand—there was a piece of neatly folded paper attached to it. Turns out to be a letter.

 

Hello Luhan,

            Writing is the best way I can express myself so, here I am scribbling all I want to say onto this piece of paper for you.

I’m sorry for being so cold to you, but I just had to. Thank you for taking interest in me, but please don’t fall for me. I don’t deserve someone like you. I think you are a really good guy and can find someone ten times better than me. My friends tell me to just listen to my heart. But as much as I want to I physically can’t.

Ever since young I have had a hearing disability, but that has never really discouraged me. With the help of technology I’ve been able to hear slightly, but as I aged my hearing deteriorated to the point where even hearing aids are of no help.  I’ve learned to read lips and practice speaking some words to try and communicate with others like a normal human being. As much as I try to act like nothing’s wrong, in reality it isn’t. Sometimes I misread others and get put in situations where I can’t verbally answer.

I see you and your band performing all the time and you don't know how much I envy you. I envy how you can actually listen to the sound of music and connect, while I can’t. It’s weird though, every time you sing there is this indescribable sensation that runs through my ears and I feel as if I can hear the music.

Too bad I can’t.

When you handed me your album, it’s as if a bucket of water splashed on me. It made me realize that we are from two different worlds and we don’t belong together. You are in a world where music is your life. In my world not the slightest sound wave is heard. As much as I’d want to connect to your world I just can’t.

Please don’t try to find me again. Thank you. Bye.

--

She smiled in content and brushed her palms together. Tonight she was closing and after finishing her tasks she was ready to leave. A key was inserted into the lock and she was finally done for the day. She turned around to head home, but came to an instant halt.

To her surprise, Luhan was standing a couple feet away from her. Its been a week since the day she returned the album and didn’t expect to see him again. She was glad to be able to see his lovely face again, but at the same time she didn’t want to.

He shined her one of his charming smiles and gave her a wave. Still in shock, she only returned with a wave. Luhan decreased the distance between them, his eyes never leaving hers.

“I’ve been thinking for a long time and we can make this work.” The smile on his face made her feel what he was saying is actually possible. Once again, she shakes her head letting him know she thinks otherwise.

Her jaw almost dropped when Luhan started using sign language. You and I are from the same world. Even if you can’t hear you can still feel the music with your heart. Let me be your ears.

She could feel her eyes start to burn as tears wanted to fall. Luhan’s sincerity made her heart warm and ache at the same time. Guilt was eating her up for rejecting Luhan. Most guys would not approach her again after finding out she is deaf, but clearly Luhan is different. Her front teeth clenched on her bottom lip and she nodded. Luhan pulled her into a hug and she surrendered under his touch.

“I love you,” Luhan whispered in her ear. She can’t hear him, but she feels the overflowing love emitting from him. 

--

A/N: Thanks for reading! Comments would be loved :]