Dance Practice

Dance Practice

 “You have to move your leg and your arm at the same time,” He explained, the perspiration on his forehead making his skin gleam.

I sighed heavily, plopping down on the glossy wooden floor.

“Wooyoung, I can’t do this!” I complained, sticking my lower lip out in a pout.

“C’mon, yes you can,” He urged me, grabbing my hand and trying to pull me back up.  I groaned, letting him pull me. His force was a little too strong because I ended up leaping off the floor and slamming against his chest. Our noses touched for a second, and I felt like there was electricity running through my veins. His eyes widened, but he didn’t say a word.

I pulled away quickly, trying to swallow the sudden lump in my throat.

“Let’s take it from the top,” He said, his voice coming out shaky. He pressed a button on the radio and the loud music came back on. I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves, and tried to follow the steps he’d taught me. I was doing fine, moving my legs and arms along to the beat of the song, until I made the fatal mistake of looking up.

Wooyoung’s eyes found mine and in an instant all else was forgotten. I felt my body lurch forward, my left foot tripping over my right one. Wooyoung noticed too, and he reached out just in time to wrap his arms around me and catch my fall.

I stared up at him, frozen on the spot. Well, not like I could really move in the position I was in.

“Wooyoung,” I whispered, the feel of his hands around my waist getting strange reactions from my body.

“Mm?” He asked, seeming unable to form a coherent word.

“You can let me go now,” I said, my voice coming out more ragged and squeaky than I intended.

“Oh… right,” He said, hands slowly coming off my body. He put me down gently, his fingertips lingering on my waist.

“I think we should take five,” He said, abruptly turning around and walking out of the dance room.

“Wooyoung wait!” I called out, running after him. When I finally caught up to him, he was leaning against the doorway, his hands balled into fists.

“I’m sorry. I know I can’t dance, but please don’t be mad, at least I’m trying,” I said, taking deliberately slow steps towards him.

“It’s not you,” He said, his back still facing me.

“Then what’s wrong?” I asked.

“Nothing, let’s get back to practice,” He said, turning around and walking past me.

“But you just saw how horrible I am! Why would we continue?” I asked in disbelief. He whirled around and grabbed my arm, pulling me towards the dance room roughly.

“It doesn’t matter,” He said, his voice gruff and angry.

“Wooyoung, you’re hurting me!” I shrieked, trying to pull my throbbing arm out of his tight grip. He stopped, sighing deeply and turning around to face me.

“I’m sorry,” He said, a deep sigh leaving his lips.

“Look, I know you want to help me, but dancing just isn’t my thing,” I said, staring down at the floor. He was silent, just standing there looking at me. I felt tears bubble up for some reason, threatening to spill.

“I don’t know why you even insist to hang out so much. I’m a klutz, I can’t dance, I can’t sing, heck I’m not even pretty!” I said, throwing my hands up in the air in exasperation. A look of anger came across his face and he took a step closer to me.

“What did you say?” He asked, his brows furrowed down in anger.

“You heard me,” I said, feeling myself grow angry as well.

“Are blind or stupid? How can you say something like that?” He asked, his voice growing louder and louder with each word.

“What are you talking about? You know, a lot of people were telling me that the only reason you were getting so close to me was to make a fool of me in the end. Of course, I don’t think you’re that type of guy, so I put my trust in you. But if that is really what this is about, then let’s just stop Wooyoung,” I said. I pushed past him to go get my jacket from the dance room.

Before I had a chance to turn away, he grabbed my arm and turned me around. I was about to fight him off when everything stopped.

His lips were suddenly against mine and his arms were around me. It didn’t register in my head right away. All I could see, feel, smell, and think was Wooyoung.

His lips moved against mine gently and slowly, his soft milky skin brushing against mine. His arms tightened around me, pulling me closer to his body. My hands lied flat against his hard chest, and I swore I could feel his heart beating against my palms. I could smell his aftershave wafting up my nostrils.

It all stopped abruptly as he pulled away, his breath coming out ragged and heavy.

“You…. Can’t dance…. Can’t sing… can’t even walk properly,” He said between breaths,  “So how… how… can you make me like this?” He asked, a pained expression crossing his otherwise flawless face.

“Like what?” I asked, trying to make my voice sound normal. He reached out and grabbed my head gently, pressing it against his chest.

“What are you doing?” I asked, my already racing heart starting to beat even faster.

“Listen,” He instructed me, his fingers brushing through my dark locks.

I could hear the loud thump of his heart, and it was beating even faster than mine. I pulled away slightly to look up at him. He was looking back at me with an indescribable expression.

His hand brushed away a stray hair and tucked it behind my ear, tilting my face up.

“Please, not another kiss,” I begged when I saw his head leaning down. He stopped, staring at me quizzically.

“You… don’t want me to kiss you?” He asked, and I could hear the hurt in his voice.

“No. If you kiss me like that again, I don’t think I’ll be able to maintain my self control,” I confessed. The hurt quickly dissolved into a smile as he pulled me closer and gave me the tightest hug I’d ever experienced.

“Then forget your self control,” He whispered into my ear, his breath sending shivers down my spine.  My eyes widened at this, but I didn’t have too much time to think about it, because his lips were on mine again, moving more roughly and more demanding than before.

I guess you can say that the dancing was definitely forgotten.