Chapter 3

Forlorn

a/n: Thank you for the very long wait! I hope you guys will not be disappointed by this >.<

 

“I like you.”

 

Yixing heard that. He heard every one of the syllables that Yifan had spoken of just now. It was sharp and clear to him, albeit the obvious echoes, but it felt suspicious. It seemed impossible. Was his ears playing tricks on him? He stood there for a while, silence engulfing him, pondering about the words Yifan had said to him before he heard him shouted, “We’re going.”

 

He was shaken away from his thoughts when Yifan suddenly said that.

 

“Now?” He asked, running to Yifan’s direction, gasping out for breaths as he had ran from quite a distance.

Yifan firmly nodded. “Before the Empress finds out.”

Yixing nodded back even when he knew Yifan couldn’t see him because he had already walked off first. He was too afraid to approach him and ask him again whether what he confessed a few moments ago was actually real. It terrified him, because His Highness had been known around the palace to be quite of a Casanova. It makes him tremble at every passing thinking moment.

What if His Highness had known of his crush for him and decided to play with his feelings?

Yifan was walking faster then, too fast for Yixing to catch up to him. More ever with the bag that kept slinging off his shoulders.

They bought a ticket back with the help of Yifan and so they settled down, both silent due to their minds interacting on their own.

 

Finally Yifan decided to break the silence.

“Yixing, did you really not hear what I said just now?”

“Which one, Your High–?” Yixing immediately stopped when Yifan gestured to him to not say that title in front of others.

“The one I said before I told you we’re going.”

Yixing nearly gave way but he managed to control his face, after years of being trained to be patient in front of demanding concubines and other higher-ranking officials; and well, of course, Her Majesty.

“I only heard ‘you’, that’s why I didn’t reply. I didn’t catch what you said.”

“Oh,” Yifan merely replied. ‘That’s good enough,’ he thought to himself inside. “It’s fine then. It was nothing important anyway!”

He ruffled Yixing’s head, to which the said victim grumbled under his breath at how messy his hair then became. He smiled at how adorable his servant looked.

“Shall we order some food then?”

Yixing’s eyes twinkled at the mention of food.

 

And so the journey back home was relatively calm, both of them forgetting about the previous incident that caused an abrupt awkwardness between them for a while; too busy caught up with their own fun with each other.

 

**

 

“Wu Yifan! Where in the world did you went to?”

 

Yifan could hear his mother’s shriek from the end of the hall. He sighed audibly and rolled his eyes. He knew his mother only call him with his full name and not his title when she’s really angry, but this was something too trivial to actually make her do that.

“My Queen, I was only heading out for some fresh air.”

“For three hours?! That’s unspoken of! You need some teaching again, young man!” His mother was flailing her arms everywhere and walking towards Yixing.

Yixing noticeably cowered down.

“And you, Zhang Yixing,” she exclaimed, pointing her finger at him. “You should know the rules, did you not?”

“I’m sorry, Your Majesty, I was negligent of my work. It was my fault.”

“I am glad you know of your mistake. I ought to give you a punishment.”

Yifan’s eyes immediately widened, his mouth opened slightly ajar at his mother’s words. He walked towards his mother and stood in front of Yixing, blocking both of their views on each other. He gestured for Yixing to walk back a few steps away from him.

“Your Majesty, I was the one who suggested this. Don’t blame my servant.”

Yixing tried to lessen down the tension between them, saying, “Your Highness, I was the one who’s at fault. I apologi–“

“It’s not your fault, you do not need to apologise. Your Majesty, I even forced him to go out when he refused my request.”

The Queen frowned. “Your Highness, you do not need to pamper your measly servant.”

Yifan’s face changed; his eyes squinting. Measly? Really? He managed to collect his emotions and not let it overpower him.

“I am not pampering him. He’s pampering me. More ever, Your Majesty, do you not know of my love for adventures and traveling after years of following His Majesty, your husband, around?”

 

She quieted down; her arms down on her side instead of cautiously out, ready to spring her arms when the time comes. She held her lips shut at her son’s words. Somehow she knew from the start she couldn’t win over her son’s words. He was exactly like his father, standing firm on his own two feet and not backing down when he knew he’s right. He’s mostly calm and collected, a soft smile or none; but when the time is appropriate, his words cut right through your tongue.

There were more instances where Yifan had her just standing there, unable to reply to his remarks. As much as she despised her own son’s albeit suitable rebellion at times, she knew this was a remarkable character worthy of. He would make a perfect emperor to rule the country.

 

She cleared and faced him her back. She then walked away, with her loyal servant following her behind.

 

Yixing audibly sighed in relief. Yifan then faced him and smiled.

“Don’t worry,” he comforted his servant, patting him.

Yifan then placed both his hands behind his back and strolled off to his chamber, Yixing stalking off behind him like any other servant would do.

 

**

 

It was already night and Yixing had still not come by to Yifan’s chamber yet.

 

Usually his servant’s already standing by outside his door, cautiously knocking at a certain period of time to let him know that it was time for bed. But today seems to not be the day. Yifan was sitting on his tea table, tapping his feet on the floor as he waited for Yixing. He needs to confess to Yixing today. It has been what? – 8 years? – since he kept this confession to himself.

He sighed. He can still remember how it was since he first discovered his first love; and his love towards Yixing.

 

Yifan first had Yixing as his servant when he was just 11 years old, and Yixing was just one year younger than him at 10 years old. Both of them were very young; and all they treated each other as best friends as Yifan, being the first heir as well as the prince, had no friends but only servants and other high-ranking officials looking over him, and Yixing was the only one around his age. And so their friendship blossomed beautifully; both taking care of each other like real siblings too.

All was that until Yifan’s perception of Yixing began to change.

 

He remembered it; the day when he first turned 16. His mother had excitedly introduced him to a lovely girl, very beautiful indeed; with black silky and luscious hair and cheeks as pink as the blossoms. She was saying how perfect the girl would be as her daughter-in-law, how wonderful it would be if Yifan were to marry her and bear some beautiful children as their future successor. But Yifan was not interested in her at all. He immediately turned sulky and refused any of his mother’s words as soon as the girl left the palace.

He grabbed Yixing’s wrist and left the suffocating chamber of the palace, and went out to the fields. He was busy complaining when he realised; Yixing was too caught up with the cherry blossoms that had blossomed a few days ago. He was too awed by the blossoms that his mouth was slightly ajar, eyes twinkling and his face also seemed to be shining.

Yifan ignored everything and instead walked to the nearest tree, and sat down. Yixing followed after, but only stood beside him.

“Your Highness, don’t you think it’s so… beautiful?” Yixing exclaimed, mesmerized by the beauty.

Yifan looked up at Yixing and why… yes, it’s beautiful. You’re… beautiful.

He gulped, turning his head away at his sudden realisation. “Beautiful indeed.”

Yixing went to sit down next to him and placed a flower on his lap.

“This is for you, Prince Wu. Cheer up!” His smile was so bright Yifan was nearly blinded by it. Instead of admiring the beauty of the cherry blossom, he was instead admiring Yixing; his soft features, his dimple, the way his hair brushed over his forehead.

 

It was then Yifan knew this innocent friendship they originally had no longer seemed to be one for him.

 

Another official must have seen his face or read his feelings, because after that he was being told off in his chamber, away from others; “Pardon me, Your Highness, but you are not allowed.” It was very subtle, but he was mature enough to know what he was talking about.

And starting from that day onwards, after being brainwashed by almost everyone how same-gender relationship is forbidden in the palace (he don’t know why he was constantly being told, maybe news had spread, or it was bound to be told), very looked down upon so too, he began going around trying to date and find any suitable girl for himself; trying to deny his feelings for Yixing.

But it never succeeded. He was always comparing the girls to Yixing.

 

Yifan walked to his small drawer, placed right beside his bed. He opened the upper drawer and there laid a wrinkled blossom inside a glass case; still kept even after 8 years.

 

**

 

Yixing was still at the corner of the end of the hall. He’s been pacing to and fro, not wanting to go to Prince Wu’s chamber. He has a very big feeling Yifan’s going to tell him again that he likes him.

He would rather not want it to come.

For 7 years he had kept this feeling all to himself and there goes Yifan suddenly coming right at him with his heart out for him to take it, but he didn’t want any part of it. Just when he had learned how to bottle everything up. This is too dangerous, everything about it is dangerous. Yes, as much as he love the prince so much himself, it’s better to keep silent about it then to confess about it. What if next day he couldn’t see the prince again? Just because everyone else found out?

He sighed to himself.

He wouldn’t want to be separated from Yifan. This was the main reason why – even when he knew his love was finally being requited back – he still doesn’t want to acknowledge Yifan’s confession.

Taking a big breath in, he mustered up the courage to go to Prince Wu’s chamber. After all he had to go anyway. Upon arriving at the door of Yifan’s chamber, he knocked on it.

“Prince Wu, I have arrived to set up your bed.”

 

**

 

The moment Yifan heard the knock, he scrambled up and immediately shut his drawer. He sat on his tea table, trying to compose himself, and then answered; “Yes, please enter.”

He then saw Yixing bowing at him before passing to his cabinet, talking out the necessary night gowns and blankets. He held them on his arm and walked back to Yifan.

But now’s not the time. Yifan needed to tell him right now.

“Yixing, sit. I want to talk to you for a while.”

He could see the tremble in Yixing’s arm when he sat down in front of him.

“Yes, Prince Wu?”

“About early that morning… I have something to say.”

Yixing kept silent, his head bowed down. Yifan gulped and tried to maintain his composure.

“I actually wanted to say that… I really like you. It has been years already. I ought to tell you this.”

 

The sudden tight grip on Yifan’s sleeve was so surprising he nearly forgot how to breathe.

“Pardon me Prince Wu, I would rather not acknowledge this. I know you’re mature enough to know of its consequences.”

 

a/n: aaaaaannnnnd it ended off with an angst!!!!!! sorry for the very long wait and i hope you guys like this! ^^

(gif credit)