Chapter 1

Forlorn

 

*It's in 1870 not 1970, I typo-ed ^^;;

 

--

 

 

"Your Highness!"

Yixing sighed heavily as he watched the prince riding the horse around the huge garden despite his attempts to stop him. He decided to let him go just for once and picked up the belongings left on the ground Prince Wu left upon seeing the horse welcoming him at the garden. The worst he could get if he were to be punished was more household chores. 

"Your Highness!" Yixing called out once again.

He nearly groaned in annoyance when the prince smirked at him, obviously teasing him. I might really quit if this continues on, he spoke behind his breath. He had known Prince Wu since he was small, he was sent off to the palace because his family couldn't afford to bring him up. There were a lot of cases like this, yet few could get in and serve a high rank. But Yixing had never thought that the prince could be so annoying like this when he grew up.

"Yixing, I've told you so many times to just call me Yifan ge when no one else is around," Yifan said and continued to roam around before stopping his horse and getting down from it, patting its hair comfortingly.

Yifan walked up to Yixing and took the things off his hands before placing it neatly at a nearby table. He put an arm around Yixing's shoulder and took a deep breathe in the fresh air. "Instead of letting me play and welcoming me back home, you're scolding me and now frowning at me?"

"Your Highness," Yixing spoke and removed the arm around his shoulder, afraid the Empress might catch him being casual around the prince and getting scolded again. "I was going to welcome you until you ruined the garden that I have been carefully sorting it out for the past hour."

"Fine then."

The prince walked away, stomping his huge feet on the ground to show his frustrations towards the younger like a child. Yixing immediately grabbed the prince's belongings and ran after him. How could such a tall and manly prince be so childish? Yixing sometimes couldn't figure out what's in the prince's mind even though he's the one who knew the prince the longest besides his own family.

"I'm sorry, Yifan ge. I was at fault for not welcoming you earlier," Yixing apologised, purposely using 'Yifan ge' instead of 'Your Highness' because he knows it's one of the prince's weaknesses. 

He tugged on the sleeve of Yifan's to get his attention. He knew he was forgiven the moment a smile crept onto the prince's face and Yixing smiled as well. He followed obediently behind the prince as they headed to the prince's chambers. It was getting late. Yixing closed the door after him as quietly as possible before settling down the things on his hand to the table and helped Yifan to remove his clothes. He hanged it on his arm and gave a towel to the prince. 

"Your bath is ready, Your Highness."

Yixing can't help but notice that the prince has had a better build after his trip to England. Or maybe he wasn't really paying attention until now. He do envy the prince, but he admires him more than bearing any jealousy for him. He proceeded to take some clothes for the prince to wear after bathing and placed it on the bed. Yixing turned behind when he realized Yifan haven't left to take his bath yet.

"Is anything the matter...?" Yixing asked cautiously.

"Nothing," Yifan replied, a smile tugging on his lips and he left. 

 

Yixing shrugged his shoulders in return and placed the clothes worn by the prince earlier on the laundry. He slowly walked to the window and admired the scenery before him. He had always wanted to try and leave the palace for a while, exploring the land outside the palace, figuring out new things he never knew. But palace rules are always strict and servants like him were never allowed to leave the palace unless you quit, because that’s when freedom welcomes you in. The sky’s slowly getting darker as the time passes by, the sun engulfed in while the stars and moon came out. He sighed in bliss when the night breeze embraced him.

 

“Yixing.”

 

Yixing nearly jumped in horror before he found out it was the prince. He held his heart at the jump it made. “Yes, Your Highness?”

 

“Let’s go out for a while, I want to show you something,” Yifan suggested as he buttoned his clothes himself. Yixing felt a bit guilty for not helping him but nodded to the prince nonetheless.

 

He went to the door, creaking it open before letting the prince leave first. He followed behind, looking down as he followed the steps the prince made. They arrived at an open field, nothing but just grass with a few species of flowers spluttered at certain areas. Yixing looked up and saw the marvelous twinkling stars, a bit surprised at how beautiful they were. For most of his life he had been inside the palace, doing chores and whatsoever even at night, not knowing the beauty that lies behind the darkness.

 

Yifan sat down on the ground and tugged on Yixing’s wrists, asking him to sit down beside him. Yixing shyly obliged to the request and sat down.

 

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Yifan questioned to Yixing, pointing his fingers towards the stars.

 

Without any hesitation Yixing nodded his head in response, amazed. There was something heavy on his hand just after he felt the prince played with his fingers. Thinking it was nothing, he turned his head to his hands before finding a necklace on it. It was blue in colour, and it dazzled under the moonlight.

 

“I bought it for us at England. I’ve never bought you anything all these years, even on your birthday, so consider this as something to repay you back…” Yifan said and showed Yixing that he has one too, only that his was red in colour before laughing nervously. “If you ever lose this, I’ll kill you because there’s only two left at the shop and it’s expensive.”

 

Yixing laughed back and admired the blue that dazzled beautifully in his hands. “It’s wonderful. Thank you, Your Highness.” He lied back on the ground and let a sigh of relief. The feel of soft grasses crunching under his weight was comforting. Yixing felt his heart clenched slightly at the feeling of Yifan’s hand brushing against him. Of course, he knew he had feelings for the older since a long time ago, but if the prince were to find out… It would definitely spell out trouble.

 

--

 

Thanks for subscribing, all! I hope this chapter is okay? I hope I didn't bring all your expectations down ;__; Enjoy the fluff as for now :D

As usual, comments are most loved and appreciated!