Chapter 7

The Paradox

     “Tomboy-ish wardrobe is what you’ll mostly have throughout this movie. Here’s a pair of sweatpants and some shirt,” Haidi informs me, handing the clothes over.

     I take them and answer, “As long as it’s comfy then it’s all good.”

     Today’s the first shooting day and I forgot to review my script but you can’t really blame me, I’ve been really busy. We're in my tent and Haidi’s been jumpy and smiling since this morning. It’s starting to get on my nerve because she won’t calm down.

     After I finish changing, Haidi tells me to put my hair up. She starts putting up all my outfits on the rack, humming along the way. Then she pauses and screams softly, “Ayyy!” in delight, and goes back to humming. I slowly creep up behind her; only to know that she isn’t actually humming but instead, she is singing, “Keep the Kimerald love burning... Keep the Kimerald love burning... Keep the Kimerald love burning...”

    “Haidi,” I say, slightly pushing her. But even if it is the lightest push I could ever do my whole life, she's so startled that she screams, trips over herself and dives forward into the rack, pulling my clothes down along with her.

     “Kimberly!” Haidi shouts, propping herself up on the rack leg. Her hair is everywhere and one of my shirts is hanging onto her ear.

     I hold myself back from laughing but another one of my shirts falls and lands on her head. It's too much that I burst out laughing.

     “What’s wrong with you?” she asks, taking my shirts off her and looking up at me through her messy hair.

     I laugh and laugh and fall next to her. Then she starts laughing along with me.

     “Looks like we’re having a party over here,” someone says.

     I look up and it was Gerald. He's peeking through the entrance as he holds up the tent’s flap. I stop laughing and immediately stand up, straightening my outfit.

     “Come in. Come in, Ge,” Haidi utters. She stands up from the rumple and ushers Gerald in, linking her arms with his. “Kimmy’s just being her wacky self, you know.”

     “Oh, is she?” Gerald asks, turning to look at me.

     I smile guiltily in response causing Gerald to raise his eyebrows at me.

     “Bad boy, bad boy, whatcha’ gonna do? Whatcha’ gonna do when they come for you?” Haidi sings, turning Gerald to face her and tugging at his leather jacket. “You look so hot in your bad boy look, ugh,” she says in a very sloppy tone. Oh, she makes me sick. I look away.

     “Well, shucks,” replies Gerald in gratitude.

     “What do you think, Kim?” Haidi asks, startling me.

     I look back to them and I couldn’t help but look him up and down. He is wearing black leather boots, black pants, a plain white shirt topped with a black leather jacket and an arresting smile. I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks for getting caught guilty of checking him out. “Yeah, you look cute,” I respond.

     “Well,” he starts, “I wasn’t exactly going for cute but I guess it works.”

     “Don’t worry,” Haidi says. “What she really thinks is that you’re drop dead gorgeous.”

     “Oh, Haidi,” I frown at her.

     “It’s okay,” Gerald says. “You don’t look bad yourself.”

     “Gee, thanks,” I respond, faking a sarcastic smile.

     He laughs, “Just kidding. You look very beautiful, Kim Chiu.”

     “Ay!” Haidi squeals, bringing her hand to her cheek.

     I simply smile to him.

     “Guys, Sir Jose wants you,” one of the staff informs us.

     Gerald and I walk outside and sure enough, Jose’s waiting for us.

     “Alright, guys,” Jose begins, “your outfits look good, good. We’re shooting the break-up scene, first. And if you’ve actually read the script, you’ll know that this is a flashback in the movie. So, um, that’s section three dash four and six dash nineteen in your script. Memorize the lines! Go, go, go!” Jose shoos us away. Gerald and I go back to our tents.

     Once I get back in, I tell Haidi to mark the sections in my script. I grab high dunks and it takes me a long time to put them on. “Haidi, are you done?” I shout.

     No reply.

     “Haidi!”

     Still no reply. I turn around and she seems to be really into my script. She is clutching it real tight.

     “Haidi,” I walk up to her.

     She keeps reading and then... suddenly bursts. “Ay!” she squeals too loudly. She starts jumping up and down, dropping the script to the floor.

     “What?!” I ask her, grabbing her by the arms but she is too jumpy. She keeps squealing. Now, she's also twirling. I look down to the script and grab it.

     As I read the script, the answers as to why Haidi was and still is squealing, jumping and twirling falls on me one by one like tiny droplets of acid. Right there, the third to the last line in the section we are going to do, it said; Gerald leans in abruptly and kisses Kim. Kissing scene already? I should’ve been listening during the story-con but I blame it all on Gerald Anderson’s eyes.