Chapter 6

The Paradox

     “Kim, are you done yet?” Maja shouts.

     I'm in the bathroom getting ready to go out with Maja since I’m free today. Maja is hanging out in my bedroom. “Almost! Just looking for my other sandal,” I shout back.

     “Your channels are really messed up,” Maja shouts. “What channel is ABS?”

     I walk out into the room clutching my sandals. Maja is sprawled all over my bed. I sit over at the foot of the bed. “Nine,” I tell her as I unsuccessfully put my sandals on.

     “Oooh-ooh-ooh!” Maja sits up and moves closer to the TV. “Look who we have here.”

     I look up to the TV and there he is, beaming in my TV screen. I drop my sandals.

     “—cited for this movie! To be honest, I fell off my chair when I learned about this. I was doing SNN when I saw Kim’s interview where she said that her upcoming movie was going to be with you! How do you feel working with Kim again?” Boy Abunda asks Gerald Anderson. They were doing a one-on-one live interview on the Buzz.

     “Gerald’s the lead in your upcoming movie?!” Maja screams right in my ear.

     “Shh!” I cover .

     “I’m really looking forward to this,” Gerald responds to Boy, his smile never fading. “I missed working with Kim so this should be fun. At the same time, I’m also anxious on how people will react about Kim and me working again and of course, about the movie."

     “Well, here’s my feedback: I absolutely love it. The Kimerald reunion in the big screen is such a good idea. This movie is going to do very well,” Boy says, slapping Gerald’s knee. “I can just feel it.”

     Gerald mutters a ‘thanks’ to him.

     “Can you, please, give us an update about how your movie’s doing?”

     “Well, we’ve actually planned out everything. The story is mapped out. Casting is finished—and it’s a fun cast, really. We’ve done story-con and workshops. We’re pretty much done with everything and we’ll actually start shooting very soon.”

     “Okay,” Boy pauses, holding up a hand. “I’m gonna ask you what everyone’s probably dying to know right now. Like really dying to know—Do you think,” Boy pauses for dramatic effect, “that there’s a slight bit of chance, just a tad bit, that you and Kim will, you know, reunite not only on-screen?”

     The audience hoots and so does Maja. “Are you getting back wi—?”

     “Shh!” I shush her again.

     Gerald’s smile is everlasting, “Um,” he says, and he had a genuinely thoughtful look on his face. He lets out a deep breath and chuckles a bit. “Probably not because... Kim is dating Sam, isn’t she?”

     “What?! You told about you and Sam already?!” Maja asks.

     “Shh!”

     “Now that you’ve brought it up, during that SNN interview where Kim said that you were going to be her leading man again, she also said that she's dating Sam.” Boy turns to the audience to ask, “Sam was with her during that interview, too, right?”

     The audience makes muffled shouts.

     “Yeah, so how do you feel about this? This is the first time that Kim’s fully open about her relationship with someone, especially that there wasn't really anyone that was seriously linked to her after you.”

     For a split second, Gerald’s eyes were impenetrable. He looks down but quickly looks back up in alarm. He smiles before he says, “I think, um, Sam’s a good guy. And it’s about time for Kim to be happy in-love again. Kim’s in good hands so I’m, ah, really happy for them.”

     “Aw,” whispers Maja.

     “And I’m sure everyone’s happy about your upcoming movie with Kim, too. And your show? Invite everyone to watch your show—”

     Bleep! I turn the TV off.

     “Kimberly Sue Yap Chiu!” Maja screams.

     I grab my sandals and try to put them on again.

     “You need to update me, girl!” Maja yells, standing up on my bed. “Since when was Gerald the lead of your movie?”

     “Didn’t you hear about my interview?”

     “No! I’m too busy!”

     “Just this Wednesday, we had a press release about Gerald taking the lead.”

     “Aw, man. It’s too late for you and Gerald to have a happy ending if Sam is in the picture. When did you tell the press about you and Sam, anyway?”

     “Same day.” I stand up to grab my bag and keys. “Ready to go?”

     “Yeah,” she replies. We head downstairs and hop into my car.

     Inside the car, Maja kept bugging me about Gerald. “Working with your ex-boyfriend again? That’s tough, Kimmy. You’re going to be kissing him again.”

     “Don’t even remind me.” I'm on the steering wheel so I kept my eyes straight ahead.

     “Did you see how many kissing scenes there are on the script?”

     “Maja.” I roll my eyes.

     “Fine," she answers. “You guys will probably fall in love with each other all over again.” She pauses as if she's just realizing something, “Oh, my God. If you guys do fall in love with each other all over again, that’d be the most romantic thing I’ll ever see!”

     “Nope,” I respond simply.

     “Aren’t you scared about working with him again?”

     “To death, I am.”