Chapter 4

The Paradox

     “Are you sure that you want to do this?” Sam asks. We just finished taping and while everyone else packs up, Sam and I are getting ready to be interviewed.

     “Of course, Sam. Why would I not wanna do this? We don’t have to hide anymore,” I answer.

     “Alright, I'm glad to hear that.” He pulls me in for a quick tight hug.

     “Kim, Sam, the press people are here,” Portia cuts in. “So here’s the plan; Kim goes first. They’ll ask you about the movie and that’s pretty much it. Break the news in about Gerald; that’s your main agenda. And then after, Sam comes in with you, Kim, and you’re gonna have to wing this one. Say you’re dating. Nothing more, nothing less... unless of course, if you’ve gone past that. Have you?”

     I look over to Sam and he gives me a blank look. “Um, no, we’re still dating,” I answer.

     “Okay, then. So, yeah. Just wing it and wing it good. And remember to keep it short and sweet. This isn’t a major interview so don’t go in too many details,” Portia says, “Short and sweet.”

     “Okay, Portia. We get it,” I respond.

     “Well, then, it’s go time.” Portia drags me along to the small crowd of press people. Commotion builds up once we reach them. Greetings are thrown at me and I greet them back with a smile. The flashes come first. They’ll need a picture or two for their articles, of course. Recorders, cellphones, video cameras and different devices are set up.

     “Kim, Kim.” Everyone’s saying my name but with the help of Portia, they settle down.

     “Is the movie still on the go? The casting is taking forever. Who’s gonna be the leading man?” one of them asks.

     “The movie is definitely on the go,” I answer with a smile. “As of now, meetings are still being held. We’re finalizing everything. And soon enough, we’ll start shooting. And—actually, we’ve already chosen the leading man..." I pause for dramatic effect, "Gerald Anderson.”

     Commotions arise within the crowd of the press people again. Shock is very evident on their faces and so is excitement. Everyone starts throwing questions at me, all at the same time. I couldn’t understand but I could definitely make out Gerald’s name in their chatter. They’ve gone crazy but, again, with the help of Portia, everyone settles down and questions are now asked one at a time.

     “This movie is gonna be very much anticipated. Now, you’re making me deadly curious,” another says which everyone seemed to agree with.

     “Gerald Anderson, for sure?”

     “Yes, for sure,” I answer politely. “Choosing him was really something.  We were having a meeting and Direk Jose had very particular criteria for the leading man. Gerald wasn’t even on the list but Direk Jose suggested him. He thought that Gerald was the only one who qualified. Everyone seemed to like the idea so I just went along.”

     “Is this going to be a permanent comeback for the Kimerald?”

     With that, Portia cuts in. She says, “Sorry but we’re only answering about the movie.”

     “What’s the title of the movie?”

     “It’s still undecided,” I respond.

     “Any ideas on what this movie is going to be about?”

     “We’ve actually done story-con and we’re taking on a classic. It’s light drama. That’s all I can say for now,” I smile.

     “Have you done anything with Gerald for this movie yet?”

     “I have, actually. We’ve attended a meeting together. I think it was the story-con meeting.”

     “What’s it like to be working with Gerald again?”

     “To be honest, I’m deadly curious just as you are, too, but more than that, I’m very excited. It’s been a long time.”

     “Indeed, it has,” a press person says.

     “When’s the play date?”

     “Around August.”

     Portia cuts in once more, “Okay, guys, enough about the movie. Please carry on with the issue regarding Kim Chiu and Sam Milby.”

     I can see Sam on the sidelines. He’s partly hiding. Portia motions him to join me. Once Sam reaches us, cameras start to flash again. Sam wraps an arm around me and I do the same. We smile for the cameras.

     “Sam, is it true that you’re courting Kim Chiu?”

     Sam looks at me and wraps his smile around my heart, “I guess so. Kim’s really nice. She’s down to earth and simple and just fun to be with, you know.”

     “You’ve gone out like on dates?”

     “Yeah, I guess, just hanging out,” Sam responds.

     “Kim, does that mean that you have a commitment with Sam?”

     “Um, we’re just enjoying each other’s company for now. No commitment but... I like being around him,” I say.

     “Which means that Sam’s got a chance with you?”

     I look over to Sam and his smile is everlasting. He is slightly elbowing me as if to taunt. I giggle and the press laughs along. “Maybe. We’ll see,” I reply playfully.

     “Of course, I have a chance,” Sam cuts in. “I mean, look at me.”

     The press bursts into laughter.

     Sam turns towards me and says, “You’re crazy if you let me go.” He winks.

     The press bursts into laughter again and I laugh along.